main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Are we really debating the tone of Boyega's skin? I hope Finn is nobody's kid. And that's because his character is meant to be greater than of course Lando, but Windu too, not to mention Leonis.

2. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    The issue here is not simply with the eye of the beholder. Attack the Block...Boyega wasn't very good in it and was virtually unintelligible. In this respect the haters are correct. But I'm optimistic, so maybe he will be better in Episode 7? Again, time will tell.

3. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    OST? Sorry, I'm not up on my internet acronyms. Leia & Lando have an Open Space Technology? An Original Soundtrack? :p

I have no idea who Finn is yet. Just throwing some ideas out there. Finn is an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, inside stormtrooper armor.

Agreed.

4. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    Uhhh....hmmm....ok. [face_laugh]

I'm not sure if I agree with him being Jesus Christ, but whatever makes you happy. :)

5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    [​IMG]

That you couldn't understand his South London street talk (and you aren't alone) is more a credit to his acting
    than anything else because (here is the amazing part) he doesn't speak that way in real life.

6. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    Ok, well that clears that up then....as far as him in Episode 7, I'm cautiously optimistic.

At this point, I think it would be a mistake to totally write him off (as some have clearly done) or it was also be an error to go to the other extreme and anoint him as being the next Harrison Ford.

Either way, it's far to early to pass judgment about whether he was the right choice or not.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    That was the character. He was playing a kid with a heavy accent. If you listen to Boyega himself in interviews he speaks the King's English like every other British actor.

To your other point: You do realize several of those who have been banned were banned because they insisted on focusing on Boyega's race, right? Just because these users decided to take the written equivalent of a $#!% in public doesn't mean others are obliged to sniff it, nor does it reflect on the person whom they hate.

8. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    Controversy is controversy regardless of the logic or lack thereof behind it. So in this regard, Boyega is the ST's controversy king. There's no denying it.

At this juncture though, I feel the best approach is to take a wait-and-see attitude. If he fails miserably, then bash away. But if he kills it, then heap praise.

Gotta be open to either possibility, this way, there will be no surprises.

9. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

This is pointless because you are making a subjective claim and acting as if it was fact. Okay. I'l take the bait. Go check out the Rotten Tomatoes collected reviews for Attack the Block. There are over a hundred of them. And go out and do some snooping of reviews which didn't even get acknowledged by Rotten Tomatoes. Not only are the vast majority of those reviews very positive, but in virtually all of them Boyega is given great praise. And I do mean great. In one of my first days on this site I even took the time to post excerpts of roughly twenty of those reviews in which Boyega was being showered with amazing accolades for a kid who at the time was under 20 and had the lead role in his first motion picture. I believe that post of mine took place somewhere in the first 25 pages of Boyega's thread if you have time in your schedule to go check it out yourself.

So we have all of these critics who write reviews on a regular basis (man of whom are paid for their work) who praise Boyega. And we have dudes like yourself who claim he was awful in it. Thankfully for me I've seen the movie myself and thought Boyega was fantastic. But if I had not seen it and had to make a choice between the folks who break down films and give reasons to explain their judgment on artistic work or someone like yourself who can toss around one sentence opinions and try to pass them off as facts, well, that's no contest.

That being said, hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. Not trying to get into a pissing contest here. At the same time I have no interest in wasting time with people who wouldn't like Boyega (or give him credit) even if he delivered a performance worthy of a young Brando. Some people will be inclined to not accept him or like him no matter what. Not saying you are one of those people. Not that I really care. But I won't pretend people with such feelings aren't out there.

10. double o

double o Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2014
    Umm........what!!!??? [face_laugh]
    This is that "other" end of the spectrum I warned about a couple of posts back.

It's just as much a recipe for disaster as those blindly hating Boyega before they see TFA.

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The only controversy concerning JB's casting is coming from a small minority of bigots. Everyone is else is cool with it, and within the industry, the guy is regarded as a hugely exciting talent.

12. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014

If only every countless young white actor/actress being put in the spotlight of the nonstop big budget motion pictures were to be held to those same lofty standards of yours. But that's privilege for you. Daisy Ridley (whom I have all the faith in the world in) has far less on her resume than Boyega (especially on the big screen) and yet there aren't nearly as many doubts about her worthiness being tossed out there on the web. I wonder why.

Here's a scenario of how things really work. Boyega could get the loudest praise from critics out of all the cast for The Force Awakens; he can be viewed favorably for his work by the overwhelming majority of ticket buyers who see the movie. But if your circle of friends are lifetime members of Stormfront, if you accept the negative opinions of internet trolls who use racist language when they negatively comment on Boyega's work, if you take at face value the views of a bunch of people who were never going to warm up to Boyega in the first place, then anyone can easily use that more limited negative feedback to bolster their argument that Boyega isn't any good and that the decision to pick him was a wrong one. We call that cherry picking.

13. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    GREATER THAN LANDO?

14. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Anyway, do we think Boyega has previous Lightsaber training or is he completely winging it in the final battle against Kylo Ren?

15. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

That is not the final battle.

Darth Malgus likes this.
  16. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014

Reading comprehension problems I see. I think it was clear I was intentionally giving you an extreme scenario to make a point. In other words...if Boyega gave one of the greatest performances of all time (again...an extreme and unlikely scenario), it would not make a difference to those who are predetermined to be unimpressed. Did that go over your head? If you are going to troll can you at least have the common decency to not have us do the heavy lifting for you?

Yanksfan and Satipo like this.
  17. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Enlighten me then.

18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think he means that the Kylo vs Rey vs Finn is not the final battle, did you forget about the whole Rey gets captured???
    as for the final battle it's currently unknown what it is.;)

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    The general rumor of the plot order seems to have it that the battle in the snowy forest takes place before the finding of Luke and the island castle sequence.

Han Drolo and starocean90 like this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think the final battle may involve Luke.;)

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Likewise. In terms of the whole film, I speculate it is basically:
    Space battle > village burning/arrest/escape > meeting with Han, Chewie and then Leia > Forest battle with hundreds of extras/Kylo Ren vs Finn and Rey > finding Luke > wake-surfing X-Wing battle > confrontation/rescue in island castle > final battle for control of the MacGuffin/Luke vs Kylo Ren. :)

22. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    The final battle has got to be Luke, Darth REDACTED and A N Other.

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't think at all based on the info either Finn or Rey are a match for Kylo,
    seems like Kylo beats Rey, then most likely also beats Finn,
    so it makes sense for it to be Luke vs Kylo.;)

24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Yeah, Kylo has probably spent a lot more time honing his skills than either Rey or Finn have. But it's going to be brutal when he tries to take on Luke. [face_devil]

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Why is he controversial exactly? Is he a convicted criminal or something? I'm clearly not in the loop.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.