main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And, clairvoyant, too. Don't sell yourself short. You can see the future. That is kinda big.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

I expect the worst, cant be disappointed if I do. Although u can check I was much upbeat before all the MSW stuff.

3. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Don't drag me into this. [face_laugh]

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  4. Bowery_Tuff

Bowery_Tuff Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2015
    In regard to the actual Star Wars discussion going on in this thread, I believe Yoda said something to the effect of "A long time have I watched this one." That's the best evidence he's monitoring Luke. I think Yoda genuinely had doubts. He doesn't want to unleash another Darth Vader on the galaxy. I'm really interested to see how the struggle between light and dark is tackled in this new trilogy, if at all. Will it just be Kylo or will Rey struggle with it. If she does, Force sensitive or not, I imagine Finn will play a strong role in pulling her toward the light. Or if Finn is Force sensitive, will he struggle because of his past? Are there aspects of the First Order he agrees with and feels he's taking a light side approach to it and fails to see the darkness.

5. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

If Finn is force sensitive I don't think he will be tempted to the dark side because he has already gone through his dark chapter just by being with the First Order.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

No, I don't think so either. I think Finn is an inverse of Kylo Ren. As a character he probably acts as a conscious point for Rey with her character caught between these two characters.

7. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Congrats. I wrote a detailed report in which I took to task Finn fans who are quick to think the worse as well as pointed out extensively how idiotic it would be for TPTB to make Finn into the weak character some people fear (or hope for) and all you came away with was that I was criticizing MSW in some of its speculating regarding Finn.

I realize some MSW fanboys don't like it when others are critical of the website but I have to lay some of the blame at its feet. The bouts of dire negativity that pop up in this thread regarding Finn's role in TFA usually occurs following some report originating from MSW. And typically those reports are the 'harmless" speculation the site engages in about Finn's characterization. Typically these reports don't generate much confidence. From the best of my recollection the speculation has suggested at one time or another that Finn is a pacifist, an incompetent, a terrible soldier unable to take care of himself, a damsel in distress, a sidekick just tagging along for the ride, a kid in need of a confidence boost and pick-me-up speech from a man he barely knows, a character that the studio is weary of promoting to the public as a competent warrior/fighter, a Lassie-figure with no useful skills except loyalty and compassion, etc.

Notice how the speculation (not call sheets, or concept art or inside gossip.....the speculation alone) regarding Finn tends to paint an overall unimpressive portrait of him as a contributor in the fight against the bad guys. Counter that with how MSW's speculation of Rey apparently puts her even higher on a pedestal judging by the reactions of people who post what they've read on the MSW site or heard on the MSW podcast. You seriously don't think the site, intentionally or unintentionally, has at one time or another slighted Finn in any way? MSW can't control the rumors or inside scoops it receives but it can surely control what speculation it puts out there for mass consumption. Yeah, I know Jason came to this thread himself claiming how he wants to have Finn's babies, but,the reality is that his site has made some of the most vocal supporters of Finn want to jump off a cliff. A lot of that blame must fall at the feet of the Finn supporters themselves (like I wrote earlier) but just as much blame in my opinion, can be attributed to MSW.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "Kylo Ren flees into the forest. It is night-time, and snowing. Finn and Rey follow him, while Chewbacca runs back to the Falcon. Finn confronts Kylo Ren"

"Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

Does Finn call on the Dark Side here? We know he's angry over Han's death and presumably Rey is just telling Finn to let Kylo go just before the duel (especially if he is related to her). Perhaps this is the big secret of TFA? The rather ordinary (up to that point) Finn uses his anger to hold his own against Kylo?

9. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

I think that's very possible. In fact, I would enjoy it if Finn's anger comes out and becomes an issue at times. If he's Force sensitive and untrained, you'd have to think he'd be less likely to control his anger. Think back at Luke getting cheesed off when Obi Wan is cut down and he just keeps shooting stormtroopers, despite Han and Leia's protests (maybe Chewie's ... was he growling? I can't remember). It took Obi Wan's ghost to get him to let go and run for it. I don't know if I see Finn going full dark side, but I can see anger being an issue at times. Luke had some anger and impatience issues pre-ROTJ and him losing his **** when Vader threatens Leia in ROTJ is one my absolute favorite Luke moments.

10. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Imagine the final duel of IX between Rey and Finn?

11. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I don't think Rey or Finn will turn but I don't think are going to be typcal "heroes" either.

also I don't think that Finn was ever "dark side" just because he was in the First Order. I don't see the stormtroopers in general as being "dark side" or even bad. just like in real life, the soldiers in an "enemy army" are not really bad as individuals most of the time.

12. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

If that happens, it doesn't matter which of them is light side or dark. They'll come back to the light when they realize Poe only hangs out with the light side and you'd have to be crazy to not want to party with that guy.

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Not so sure, with a lightsabre in his hand (which he craved) and the power of the Dark Side coursing through him Finn can finally be 'something'. Maybe after getting defeated by Kylo he seeks out Maz so that she can teach him some unconventional methods and in the next movies he's this kind of maverick 'grey' jedi pirate?

14. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

I doubt we'd see him go full dark side either, but I think him losing his temper with Kylo in Force Awakens would be cool (even if he obviously can't best him at this point). Again, who knows where the trilogy will lead, though?

15. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Now you speaking my language you Crazy SOB.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I was just thinking that part from Captain Phasma we don't have any characters that have 'character'. It would be good to have Finn turn from this rather standard trooper into something a bit more exciting. I like your idea of him being taken under Maz's wing and perhaps have him, her and a few of the Motley Crew undertaking risky missions for the Resistance (paid of course ;)) .

sterling3763 and Han Drolo like this.
  17. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    I'm good with either , the thing that's lacking in Finn's stuff for me post defection is substance. Ideas like this can really enrich a character, but I have confidence JJ and the Lucasfilm Team can pull it off either way.

18. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Really? We have:

Poe: a hotshot, ego-centric flyboy.
    Rey: a cynical, skeptical scrap metal scavenger.
    Finn: A conflicted stormtrooper gone AWOL
    Han: An aging wise-cracking smuggler-general-smuggler again?
    Chewie: Rawwr
    The droids: All chock full of character
    Kylo Ren: The evil/crazy son of a hero who talks to helmets

That said, I really like this idea of a "grey pirate Jedi." Sort of the shadier, clandestine wing of the Order.

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm even thinking along the lines of costumes - there is only so much Jedi Robe, Stormtrooper and Resistance uniforms that you can take. We need someone like a Boba Fett to break up the monotony, keep Rey in simple 'Jedi Style' (with a double-ended lightsabre) but kit Finn out in leather and armour, big-ass blaster in one hand, lightsabre in the other. I know it sounds a bit fanboyish/gamerish but hey-ho... :D

20. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    That's what Phasma is for. I'm loving Finn's medal ANH / ESB jacket Luke style he has goin on.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  21. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

lol yeah. if anything Phasma is the one that doesn't have any character though TBF I don't know much about her.

22. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Rey's desert outfit seems pretty unique.

23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Han Drolo likes this.
  24. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
  25. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah, there's no way lucasfilm would so heavily associate Finn with Jedi periphenailia, but not make him force sensitive; that would just be crazy. I'm just going to operate as if it's been confirmed at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.