main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

I have been trying to find it, it was posted here in the last few days. I think it was of the big screen at the SDCC and was a BTS shot of Rey with the gun (shooting upwards I think) and another of her in some type of rig for wire work possibly.

EDIT - found them in the Daisy Ridley thread. On another look it's a different gun altogether, it looks like a First Order rifle to me. If it's actually a rehearsal then she must appropriate it from a Stormtrooper.

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

That doesn't make sense though for Finn to not be aware of Kylo's powers. He's a stormtrooper who has surely witnessed Kylo in action and also heard a lot more of what Kylo can do...versus Rey who would know a lot less about Kylo (at least in the present...maybe she knew him when she was very young).

The whole Finn challenging Kylo to a duel makes little sense to me, actually, unless Finn has had prior training with the saber. I mean, really? You think Luke would have run up to Vader in ANH after he cut down Obi-Wan? No, he fled, and that made more sense. He wasn't ready. And I don't see how Finn could think he's ready to duel with Kylo. Maybe Rey can with her natural Force abilities being sky high and most likely some training as a child which she can tap into even subconsciously.

3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I don´t think so. What has Finn seen? Someone with a saber masacre an entire village. Probably Finn with a saber could have done as well. Scared and old people? No need for a dark force user to kill them all. You can think someone is powerful and still be overwhelmed by how much more powerful he is compared to what you initially thought.

4. Killua

Killua Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2015
    If anything it seems Finn is extremely angry or consumed with grief when he goes after Kylo so he's not exactly running around with a clear head.

Therefore it does make sense going after Kylo without prior training et al.

5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Luke was also a little rash in his younger years (ESB). This is the clearest proof yet that Finn is Luke's son. ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Darth Zero

Darth Zero Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2015
    The part I don't quite understand is how Finn is able to hold his own against Kylo. Finn challenging Kylo is a foolish move on his part, but I can understand the emotional implication, that is, someone dying & wanting to avenge them. What I'm not convinced on is how he's able to engage in a proper duel (managing to stay alive) with Kylo. Unless Finn is some kind of genius in the force, I'm not buying that scene.

7. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

I don't think Kylo is particulary skilled though. Just look at his crudely made lightsaber, aside from Luke i guess there is not alot of force-sensitive competition around prior to the awakening.

8. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    It could end up that Kylo is thankful the mountain gives way if Rey is kicking his butt at that point.

9. Killua

Killua Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2015
    That would be terrible.

I don't think he's going to be some bootleg villain at all.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah then he is a joke villian lol.

11. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    People just need to accept that Finn may be gifted in The force as well.

His hanging with Kylo in a duel could be that simple.

Revanfan1, Skaddix and sterling3763 like this.
  12. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Finn isn't ready, which is why he loses an arm/hand. As for why he challenges Kylo, I think the reason is two fold.

First, I think he's very angry at this point. Han has become a mentor figure at this point and Finn is upset at his death and wants revenge.

Second, I think Finn's success in wielding the lightsaber during the assault on the Starkiller base goes to his head. He does a little training with a remote and suddenly he's defeating stormtroopers and deflecting blasterbolts. He gets cocky. He starts thinking I'm a natural, maybe I can end this right now. Obviously he can't and he pays for that hubris.

I know you're mostly kidding, but I think Kylo's fights with Finn and Rey in TFA have to show that his lightsaber skills far outstrip theirs. If Kylo is a SkySolo, then he's had at least a decade and a half of training. If he has that much of a head start, and he is already being defeated by Rey, then where do things go from here? If he can't beat her now, when she's VERY rusty, what hope will he have after she studies with Luke?

I think we all know how this ends. Kylo dies or is redeemed, possibly both. Snoke is a dead man walking. But we have to have some suspense, some conflict. Our heroes need to be playing catch up with the villain; there needs to be some doubt that vicotry can be achieved. You don't have that if Rey is kicking Kylo's teeth in during round one. I suppose we could see three movies of Rey just demolishing foe after foe, but that might get a bit repetitive and be a bit uninteresting.

Honestly, if she does beat him in TFA, I will consider it a forgone conclusion that she falls to the darkside in Episode VIII. If she's beating the bad guy in VII, then we need a new bad guy. I know, I know, there's still Snoke, but I doubt we'll see him fight until IX. So it'll have to be Rey.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't think Rey beats anyone, I think she gets "lucky" and the mountain collapses which is why she needs Luke to train her so that she can become stronger, so that it will be different the next time they meet. Having your new heroes be that powerful in Movie 1 is pretty illogical.

every time I see Adam as Kylo, I feel like he will be a raw/aggressive/non relenting fighter that will fight like a savage and with this he beats Finn and is either not too off from beating Rey or actually beats her before the mountain comes down.[face_devil]

14. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    As I said earlier, I think this plays out a lot like Attack of the Clones, with Kylo as Dooku, Rey as Anakin, Finn as Obi-wan, and Chewie as Yoda.
    Finn rushes in, is impressive for a newbie, but then gets disarmed (literally). Rey takes over, does better than Finn, and just after it has been made clear that she is way out of her league and about to lose, Chewie arrives, brings the mountain down around Kylo, and picks up the kids.

TK327 likes this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't think Chewie brings down the mountain according to rumors, that was caused by the destruction of the First Order base (or by one of the superweapons) and all Chewie does is save the kids with the Falcon by getting there at the right time.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    BB8 knocks the mountain down atop Kylo Ren. #Beastmode

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

R2 trained him well. The Real Hero of The OT and PT

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    with his laser beam eyes.:D
    how cool if his big eye was also a laser?:p

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ... with the Force.

Dak Oolron and starocean90 like this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    If he was that sure of his skills with the lightsabre then why does he take a gun along with him to the F.O. Base?

I'm not sure where this 'fact' about him deflecting blaster bolts and taking out stormtroopers came from, any ideas anybody?

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  21. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Who knows but it's his first weapon of choice right after he's done opening up about his past to Han and Chewie.

• Han, Chewie, and Finn walk in the snow towards the Starkiller base. Finn opens up about his past to the two. They understand why Finn did what he did. They approach a giant tunnel or exhaust port for the Starkiller base (on the way there they fight some Stormtroopers here and there and Finn uses the lightsaber instead of a blaster). They find an elevator and get in.
    As for deflecting blaster bolts , It's just an assumption some of us made based on a Recent Making post shedding further light on Act III.

Finn, Han and Chewie go into an elevator when they come out they're met by a group of Stormtroopers. Han charges the Stormtroopers , defeating them ( which usually means shooting in his case) and Finn helps with The Lightsaber.

Unless he's just going around poking dead bodies after Han and Chewie blast them , I don't see how these Troopers don't just shoot at the guy running towards them waving around a sword...unless they are and he's just *gasp* deflecting their shots.

sterling3763 likes this.
  22. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm unsure of how deep they'll go with the characterization in this one, but given the description of Finn, the duel could be his Neo moment in the first Matrix when he makes a stand against Agent Smith. Clearly over matched, but with the confidence gained throughout the film he feels he can stop him. It would be a clear resolution to his development with Han.

23. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Finn is not Neo come on........

24. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    As Han Drolo noted, according to MSW's latest account, Finn uses the lightsaber extensively during the third Act. I'm sure he uses a blaster at some point, but MSW doesn't explicitly state that Finn uses a blaster during the entire assault on the Starkiller base. It's all about him using the saber.

Now, maybe every one of these altercations occurs at super close quarters and the lightsaber makes more sense than a blaster. The elevator scene MSW describes definitely seems to fall into that category. But Finn using the lightsaber as the group approaches a "giant tunnel or exhaust port" seems silly if he can't deflect blasterbolts. Why use a lightsaber during a long-range engagement if you're not force-sensitive?

Han Drolo likes this.
  25. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Parallels to a character does not make them the same, come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.