main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    On part 3 I doubt they have Finn on the monopoly game with three force users if he wasn't one himself. The more that comes out. The more clear it is he's going to use the force.

Funbox likes this.
  2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    No smoking gun theories from me. I think it just shows incompetence somewhere within LFL.

3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Because Lucasfilm/Disney didn't want to risk a toy leak giving away Finn using a Lightsaber until they could show it as part of their marketing for the movies.

Funbox, Skywalked and Momotaros like this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    They officially gave away that 'little secret' on April 16th.

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Cause it toys and u make money by selling a billion variants.

Baron_Papanerd and Skywalked like this.
  6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    They showed Finn using a Lightsaber on April 16th?

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I think he'll be a Force sensitive too. But what baffles me to this point, is why haven't they kept that under wraps the way they have with Rey? Surely Finn being Force sensitive is a major reveal in his characters arc? First the poster and now the Instagram clip of him wielding the Bespin sabre? Something's not right IMO.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Because they still have 100 days of marketing to go, and they don't want to give away the entire movie before the film drops...seriously they know how rabid you guys are and they know that if they said nothing you'd o crazy. So they drop a few hints about Finn and Kylo while holding onto information about the other characters until they are ready to reveal them.

9. Bowery_Tuff

Bowery_Tuff Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2015
    I admit, I enjoyed watching some reaction videos to the instagram teaser and this guy's reaction at the end made me laugh.

10. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I think they had to advertise at least one of the new generation being force-sensitive. As COJ said, people want to see/buy lightsabers. Showing Finn takes the heat off Rey. They have a good reason for wanting to preserve the fact that she wields one, her taking up the sword at the end of the third Act is a huge moment, the moment basically the entire film builds toward.

Whether you believe that Finn is force sensitive or not, he starts swinging one of the things about mid-way through (at Maz's castle). So it doesn't really spoil anything.

Han Drolo likes this.
  11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I can't stand reaction videos. Seems like a load of attention-seeking to me.

Howard Hand likes this.
  12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I respect your opinion. But I see things working out very differently.

13. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    All right no need to beat around the bush, what assumption have you made that's coloring your view of things?

14. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    We have seen the costume concept art of Finn with the lightsabre (on April 16th), the Struzan poster and the instagram clips. Some merchandise released on Force Friday will feature Finn with the lightsabre yet the big sellers (Hasbro, Lego, etc.) don't have Finn wielding the SWORD. Seems like crossed wires between LFL and the manufacturers to me.

Jcuk likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Now, I think I've been respectful toward you here. But I'm sensing a very abrasive tone behind your reply and question. There's no need for that.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Or the toys and such were approved before Marketing had it pinned down when or even if they were going to show Finn wielding a sword. And let's be fair, all they did on April 16th was Show Finn carrying a lightsaber in his pocket. That's a far cry from having the thing activated and in a ready position as the villain prepares to attack.

17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Everyone makes assumptions, and draws conclusions. It's nearly unavoidable. So I am asking you what you think is going to happen that has lead you to conclude that things will turn out differently.

18. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Dude, it's probably as simple as they don't wanna ruin her affinity with it yet because it's a major plot spoiler. They were gonna have to market someone with it eventually and like you said they revealed Finn with it intentionally back at Celebration.

Idk man, I don't know myself at this point but they're going way out of their way to suggest he's force sensitive.

19. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Finn and Rey are both force sensitive. The reason they aren't revealing Rey as being such yet is because they don't want her ancestry being revealed.

Han Drolo likes this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I never presumed that the lightsabre hanging off of Finn's jacket at Celebration was just for decoration. Even those who were not privy to MSW's spoilers would probably have figured out it was there to be used at some point.

dekaneas likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Primarily because the ending that has been alluded to feels very flat, and uninspiring in my mind. For such a HUGELY anticipated film, that is weak and an utter anti-climax IMO. Rey and Finn have literally taken theIr first,tentative steps on their journeys in the ST in the TFA. I think their resourcefulness and courage will become very evident. But expecting them to fend of Kylo between them until their surroundings collapsing (due to what I don't know?) is what saves them is made for TV stuff IMO.

Funbox and Skywalked like this.
  22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    But not necessarily by Finn. You can presume all you want but until the moment you see Finn holding the saber at the ready it's blue glow on his face, you don't actually know. That's why the more recent reveal has such an impact.

All right, though to be fair the devil's in the details. How a scene is shot, what is shown how the actors present their characters and much more can turn, what on the page is a bland scene, into something amazing.

At least you answered my question and I have a better idea of why you've reached the conclusion you have.

23. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Ok using the Lightsaber is one thing but why have merchandise that actually suggests a character is force sensitive? Is it really that serious that they wanna fool Monopoly players? lol

Skywalked and sterling3763 like this.
  24. Bowery_Tuff

Bowery_Tuff Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2015
    Doesn't it seem like everyone pretty much expects it though? And I'm not arguing, just making an observation. I mean wouldn't more people be surprised come December if it's revealed she isn't legacy? I mean if there's a moment where it's like Boom! She's Han and Leia's daughter or Luke's daughter, how many people are going to be like, "OH MY GOD!!!!" Maybe I'm underestimating how many casual fans have no idea, but I feel like if that moment comes a common reaction will be, "Yeah, ok. That's official now." Then again, they could do it in a way that blows me away. I don't know. Sometimes the strategies behind both these characters feel .... weird.

Jcuk and Skaddix like this.
  25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Look at ESB's ending. Han gets captured, the heroes race to save him but don't make it. Luke loses his duel with Vader and barely escapes.

Sounds anticlimactic on paper, but it was quite thrilling. I know the 2nd movie in a trilogy tends to do this kind of thing, but still; what matters is the execution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.