main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I always pictured a moment in which Maz says something to him after Rey ends her visit with him in recovery.

2. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014

This has been my view too but the spoilers that I have actually read (haven't read all of them) don't indicate this. We'll see.

Also isn't it possible that Finn will forever be a wanted man by the First Order, maybe Phasma personally wants his head? That may make a man want to stay with the Resistance or it may cause him to get away from it all and take his chances with the pirates.

3. Bowery_Tuff

Bowery_Tuff Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2015

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Resistance flat out refuses to keep him? Like he's too much of a target or they just don't trust a former stormtrooper? I doubt that will happen, because Leia and Poe have to have huge prices on their head as well and the Rebellion had plenty of Imperial defectors (Biggs being just one). But that would be cool if that did happen and forced him to kind of stick with a third party like Maz Kanata and her merry men.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  4. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'd rather if he turned the Resistance down. He doesn't want anything to do with the First Order. But the Resistance's use of a super weapon makes him reluctant to join up with them (regardless of how much he might like Poe). Han's influence (and his desire to learn more about the Force) make him choose Maz's tutelage.

Maybe the lesson Finn learns in TFA is that he's done taking orders from people (especially militaries). From here on out he'll follow his own moral compass and the Force.

5. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    This is exactly how I see Maz influencing Finn, she probably resonates with that because she was possibly present for all the drama that reared it's head on Luke's Academy and maybe she's reluctant to get back on the Radar of the Knights Of Ren and their affiliates.

Jason's second outline about the assault on Maz's pub makes it alittle more clear Maz is impressed with Finn, she does tell Leia to give him the saber after all. The fact the farewell to scene for The Falcon is of only Poe. Leia, Maz and Finn is very telling.

They're both Mommas boys. :p

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  6. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015
    That's a blasted good point, sterling. Much better.

7. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014
    Like a man without a country? Hmmmm. Interesting. With Han gone the only one who could keep him there is Rey but she may be off somewhere else. Of course TPTB is establishing a forever bond between him and Poe too so perhaps even Poe's rep couldn't make his fellow Resistance fighters swallow Finn's presence any easier.

8. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014

Yeah, that works too. :)

9. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    I just don't see Finn trading one Military institution for another, even if it's protagonist in nature , they're still bound by a Political agenda.

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  10. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

Yeah, I'm loving this more and more. The idea that the Resistance ain't exactly a squeaky-clean band of freedom fighters is very appealing. This could create a ton of great conflict for Poe moving forward.

11. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm really hoping Rian is in tune with your thinking. This makes so much sense. Finn's arc has so much potential.

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

I'm guessing its a female villain who tries to tempt Boyega. Perhaps creating a love triangle....

At least thats my first impression. I don't believe for a second the Han Solo daughter nonsense. The only potential character that fits that bill is Rey.

sterling3763, Han Drolo and Skaddix like this.
  13. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    Best thing I've read all weak.

If Rey's and Finn's character arcs in the film are as good as they seem, then this will be a special movie.

14. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

On the other hand ...
    I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but it isn't that hard for me to believe Rey is not Han and Leia's daughter. Unless they establish it very early on, she's on the Falcon with Han and I believe meets Leia at the Resistance base or something and I don't recall any rumors of revelations coming up around that time. For all we know, Han recognizes her early on or she was taken from them at birth, but I'm not ruling out her not being a Solo. Of course being Luke's kid is also a possibility.

Also, what if Han and Leia didn't stay together after ROTJ? What if Han went off and had a kid with someone else? Granted, that would feel like a massive kick right where it hurts to the OT (imagine trying to go back and enjoy any of their scenes together in TESB or ROTJ after knowing it's all doomed to fail). Yeesh, the more I think about that possibility, the more I hate it. Fingers crossed..

15. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015

By the way, you do realize that you've got people so jazzed for this, that they're gonna be seriously cheezed if it isn't true. Way to ruin the Star Wars sequels for everybody ... :p

sterling3763 likes this.
  16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I do think independence is good and should be a key step for the new jedi order. Separation of Force and State.

leiamoody, Funbox, Revanfan1 and 5 others like this.
  17. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Yooo, so much this. I think this is definitely one of Luke's goals.

His exile is a testament to it.

18. Bowery_Tuff

May 9, 2015
    That's a good point. If the Resistance is using a super weapon and whatnot and Luke is the pinnacle of the Jedi (He's Luke friggin' Skywalker. Of course he is.), can't imagine he'd be down with that. Especially with one of his first acts after getting a grasp on the Force being to actually blow up a super weapon. And as has been mentioned, Finn would see way too much of the First Order in the Resistance.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "there is no shipping."

20. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

What do you mean?

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the concept. it does not exist.

22. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014
    I keep going back to, of all things, the description of Finn on that toy box. The first part of it went : "a trained warrior desperate to escape his past..." Desperate to escape his past. Is this just a way of overstating that he is simply trying to get away from the military power he had been serving before his defection? Or is there something more, something that he did which he isn't proud of (other than being part of the First Order) that would affect who he decided to ally himself with going forward?

23. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, okay.

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    A ship that is capable of destroying Star Ships by ramming them is hardly a terrifying superweapon. Likewise, if the Catapult was only used for destroying military targets with surgical precision then it would be seen as cutting down on collateral damage. It's like comparing a nuclear bomb with a cruise missile.

Finn, for some strange reason, never seemed to have realised that the unit he was with were the bad guys until they start shooting up civilians. I could put some stock in that if he had been stationed in some remote Guard Post but he seems very well informed regarding the First Order's machinations according to the information he gives the Resistance.

25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...tar-wars-star-john-boyega-that-he-can-answer/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.