main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    It's things like the moment where Han is upset about Kylo no Finn consoled him and Finn honestly expressing himself to Han that get cut that are the most jarring to me like, so JJ decided we don't have time for character moments with Finn. Why are these types of moments to give insight only awarded to Kylo but with Finn it's like he's fun and relatable so who cares. He has just as dark if not more so of a past then Rey and Kylo so what gives, that's something I've yet to have seen explained

2. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    who said I didn't see that. I was referring to the completely unnecessary misdirect where he's shown looking heroic with a light saber and is involved in two fights. All of that was just to hide the fact that rey was the jedi, something that was obvious the min she started flying the falcon. For anyone who had doubts, those disappeared when she opened the box with the lightsaber. The only good thing moving forward is that we have a different director(s) who hopefully won't waste time relying on gimmicks, like pointless mystery boxes and misdirects, and will just tell an earnest, good story. Hopefully finn doesn't feel like he exists for the sake of other characters and will get a truly interesting arc in this movie. Yes, i know he had an interesting arc in tfa, but the stink of the misdirect kind of ruins it for me. With no more of that nonsense, we can move forward with something far more engaging.

As for lightsabers, I really wish they'd keep that as "the weapon of a jedi". It seems like every tom, dick, and harry is now swinging a lightsaber around. There has always been a certain amount of mysticism surrounding the weapon. Now its just another weapon. Why aren't they mass produced since they're the superior melee weapon. We've got the leader of the scar unit using one. We've got sabine using one, we had chewie and han using one in fights, and ,we've got finn (if he does truly turn out to not be fs on any level.) using one. I liked it better when it was very dangerous for a non FS character to even swing one around.

3. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    with what lightsaber? leia's?

that would be cool actually, but right now we're out of lightsabers

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

I'm really hoping/assuming that this trilogy isn't going to be stuck with only two, possibly three lightsabers for the duration. We have that trilogy. I get that jedi need to be mysterious, but they also need to exist, preferably some in non-Skywalker fashion.

afrojedi likes this.
  5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    You would think this is obvious right? And yet plenty of fans don't see him using a lightsaber ever again. To them I ask what the hell was the point of him using the saber so much in TFA? Now we know in an earlier version of the film, he even used it to battle stormtroopers on SKB and to take down the shields. Surely Lucasfilm isn't going to have the last time Finn ever uses the weapon where he ended up knocked back on his ass, just so Rey can have her shining moment. Finn needs a second go to better himself with the weapon. It's only fair.

Troopa212 likes this.
  6. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I agree that it would only be fair for Finn to get a second chance at 1) swinging a lightsaber generally, and 2) a duel with Kylo.

I have no clue if the folks at Lucasfilm agree. I think it's totally possible that Finn never picks up a saber again. Lots of surprises in store.

Sgt. Carver and Trevor Eyesacs like this.
  7. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    From the novelization:
    I hardly think two short battles in the same day counts as enough time and circumstance to tell. As of right now I'm pretty confident that he'll use a lightsaber again before this trilogy is over. Otherwise there's no in-universe point of him using one in the first place. He could have gotten Anakin's lightsaber to Rey only using a blaster and nothing about the narrative would have changed, if they were going to just have him use it for that one episode. I keep bringing this up and I'm going to continue to do so until I'm proven wrong, he still hasn't met Luke and I think that the coma has more to do with than just separating him from Rey. I think either he's going to get another one from somewhere/someone else and Luke's going to train him in lightsaber combat or Rey is going to build her own and Luke is going to officially gift him Anakin's or maybe Luke will once again take up Anakin's and gift Finn his green one. I'm hanging my hat on that until I'm proven otherwise. Force or no force he's getting lightsaber training from Luke.

afrojedi likes this.
  8. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, I think he'll use a lightsaber again as well. It would be odd if he didn't, especially given how much of his use of the saber was cut out of the final version. There has to be a reason JJ wrote Finn to use it so much in earlier versions of the script.

Troopa212 and afrojedi like this.
  9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I oscillate between Finn and Kylo.

Not even really joking.

Those two could probably work through a lot of **** in a ten minute conversation with each other.

ETA:

Finn: I don't know my place in the world.

Kylo: Same.

Finn: I mean, I had a life thrust on me that I didn't get to choose.

Kylo: Mmm.

Finn: Also I'm a little afraid of Luke Skywalker.

Kylo: Whoa. Did we just become best friends?

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Ahem.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, I'm sure Luke has plenty of lightsabers laying around especially after the, you know, massacre.

Too soon? [face_plain]

afrojedi likes this.
  12. B Wilson

B Wilson Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 26, 2014
    [face_sigh]

I know I'm late but I'm just seeing this today . . . .

. . . . Whether Finn was force sensitive or not has been one of the three biggest questions about the new trilogy, for me personally. The other two being: Rey's lineage and what Luke has been up to. I'm not going to lie, as a fan who originally wanted to believe that Finn was on some level force sensitive, this article has kind of shattered me. Not only does it seem as if they have confirmed that Finn is not force sensitive, but what really bothers me is how it was "confirmed". . . . . . on a ****ing list online (starwars.com) that I had not seen for days. Either the powers that be don't know that some fans have been speculating about Finn's force sensitivity or they think it has been clear this whole time or it just doesn't matter to them. However naive, the optimist in me is still holding out hope for Finn's force sensitivity, as futile as it may be.

These are a few reasons why I am still hoping:

1. The list said "NON JEDI" that doesn't exactly mean he can't be force sensitive at all.

2. It also said "lacks in force sensitivity" again, not exactly saying he can't be force sensitive, just not proficient.

3. The inclusion of Chirrut Imwe. He is one with the Force, the Force is with him. Enough said.

May the Force be with you all! . . . . . . . . . . . . or not.

Rant over.

13. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I believe they made Lightsabers for Luke's apprentices so again, not hard to get one in Finn's hands if that is what the plan is.

14. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    For people who want Finn to be force sensitive, is him becoming a Jedi also something you want or are you open to other options. because to me we already have Luke and Kylo, and now Rey so if they were to make Finn be FS I would rather a new direction be taken, non Jedi force users is something I would actually think would be cool to see. Also Im not entirely sure if this is right, but back when Finn was Sam wasn't one of the concepts that Poe would be a force user/ bounty hunter of some sorts

15. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    At one point Poe was a Jedi.

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That's what I originally thought that was one of the reasons Maz was created. To train Finn to be a non-Jedi force sensitive pirate type. Due to spoilers and Lupita's own comments, I no longer believe that's the case.

The Chicago Cubs won the World Series and Donald Trump is president. Most things i thought weren't possible in 2016 came true. So it's possible Finn may be sensitive but it's just as possible he isn't. Looking for clues in TFA is pointless.

Blastaar likes this.
  17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I counting 4 perfectly good sabers here. Anyone know what happened to them?

18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Since this took place between ANH and ESB, you might as well ask "Why didn't Luke get one of these lightsabers instead of creating one from scratch right before RotJ?"

19. B Wilson

B Wilson Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 26, 2014
    Either is fine, but there has not been a better time to be force sensitive an be something different beside Jedi or Sith. Especially with new characters created since Disney's purchase of Star Wars.
    Examples include:

Maz Kanata
    Chirrut Imwe
    Bendu
    Those creatures Yoda met at the end of The Clone Wars
    Ahsoka (from a certain point of view. Are grey jedi officially canon??)

20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    He can use this:

[​IMG]
    A spare lightsaber prop made for one of Luke's Students in episode 7.

21. BlurryUFOs

Sep 24, 2016
    but that one's ugly

I guess it's a question of will luke carry around one of his student's lightsabers as a spare? seeing as how finn doesn't make it to ahch-to

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

22. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I don't think so. Pretty sure Pablo debunked that. I don't think he's a fan of the concept.

23. BlurryUFOs

Sep 24, 2016
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
  24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Wouldn't have to be on Ach-to. If Kylo Ren keeps trophies (which the urn full of ashes suggest that he does) all Finn needs to do is find it in his room....and low and behold we have an indication that Finn will be aboard a Super Star Destroyer at some point....convenient.

Simply put, if they want Finn to use a lightsaber...one will find it's way into his hands.

25. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I'm open to other options such as the one you suggested or a force-resistant lightsaber wielding hero as unlikely as that might be.