main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    The issue is that TFA at least spends some time acknowledging that he's a stormtrooper, and that he did go through a traumatic experience that shaped the events of the movie. We wondered, "Why does Finn act the way he does compared to other stormtroopers?" Even one of the audio team members from TFA wondered if he was a Jedi because she knew that "he's very special." Was it the Force? Was he simply mentally stronger than others?

Again, it was something we speculated on because we all expected LINEAR constructive growth for him moving on. And the emotional confession to Rey fit pretty well for his growth as well.

But in TLJ, he could've been anyone and it wouldn't have changed anything. He could've just been any old rebel dude who had a generic beef with the bad guys. The only reference to his past was...that he mopped the Supremacy. At least in TFA we found out a small handful of things about him during the opening and his confession to Rey, which again, we figured would be expanded on in TLJ, but it wasn't. Now our only hope is extended material and Episode IX.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    TFA *does* show and discuss Finn's past. He's introduced as a nameless, faceless, and voiceless Stormtrooper no different from the thousands of others we've seen. The Stormtrooper program's nature as a child-kidnapping and brainwashing operation is repeatedly established in the first half of the film; half the dialogue Hux and Phasma share is devoted to talking about Finn as though he were an object, an automaton who's broken (one of the better but blink-and-you'll-miss-it-moments moments during the Phasma and Finn fight in TLJ references this). Finn himself confesses what he is to Rey in an emotionally vulnerable scene.

In TFA, we know more about how Finn was raised through dialogue and inferences than we have for Kylo's dark side obsessions and seduction by Snoke in TLJ, and we *witness* the "birth" of Finn's conscience when he freaks out in the village, and they clearly show him, after calming down a bit and trying to get back in the swing of things, *choose* not to commit the massacre. It's visually storytelling with all we need to know. Heck, they even imply he's not the first to have a breakdown, thanks to Phasma and Hux discussing reconditioning techniques. Finn's a rare but not unknown "glitch in the system," to use TLJ's sole reference to his last, but he manages to escape.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Not really, the film does delve into his character as it pertains to being a stormtrooper. All his life he's been brainwashed and finally the entire world is opened up to him. His initial reaction is to run way and save what he has (Rey), but throughout the movie he learns that fighting for something (a faction) isn't the problem, it was fighting right thing.

4. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Right, but you don't really know that he's a stormtrooper in TLJ. What I mean is that he didn't have to be. He could've fought Phasma, cared about Rey, etc all without being a stormtrooper. He literally could've just been a rebel and still done the things he did. It's not like we've never seen rebels nervous to infiltrate the bad guys or want to abandon the fight.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Urgh yeah, but that doesn't mean what was presented wasn't built upon him being a Stormtrooper. There are probably very few thing that are exclusively stormtrooper, not least of which the examples you gave of TFA.

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I mean, with the prior knowledge of him being a stormtrooper, you can kinda see how his experience applies to that, yeah. But at this point, it just felt like a cool add on instead of a crucial part of his story moving forward. The deleted scenes with him in the elevator and him exposing Phasma would've worked given some tweaks. Even the scene with him Rose and DJ being followed by the officer would've helped build that sense of tension instead of making it look like they got randomly caught by some droid.

I'm really curious about his life before being a stormtrooper. There's so much potential in both his family and him becoming a figure of inspiration in the Stormtrooper legions just in Episode IX and so much expanded material. I really do see there being comic issues of Finn finding his family in the future.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    @RandomGreyJ am I going crazy, or did John actually suggest that they would touch on his origins in TLJ? I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the EW articles, but didn't seem to happen in in the film itself...

Kurenai24 likes this.
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Conversation with Tom Hardy stormtrooper about the batch that their from.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly if they hadn't have flat-out told you briefly that he was a Stormtrooper, I doubt that a lot of people would have gotten that from his characterization in TLJ. Because he in no way feels like an ex-stormtrooper nor does it have any real relevance to the plot.

10. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Yeah thats a deleted scene, so I wouldn't call it "a part" of the film. There is no cut of the movie were that scene is in. Otherwise, we could say that finn...uh..."beat" phasma's hand off even though that clearly never happened in the movie.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Finn family not being revealed doesn't bother me because, well the idea that he never knew them fits in with the idea of "brainwashed obedient drones" that the FO has going on.

Now them not really using the "he's an ex-stormtrooper" idea to anywhere near it's full potential, and treating him like a bumbling joke constantly as well, now THOSE I have a huge problem with.

Hypatia, Revanfan1, Kurenai24 and 3 others like this.
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm saying, prior to film release, when Boyega was asked if part of his stormtrooper past was touched on in TLJ.

As far as Boyega knew, at the time, that part would be in the film.

13. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @cerealbox @Dame sans merci @Thrawn082 @Blastaar I believe he said that "Well definitely find out more about his origins and his family. And why he was able to resist stormtrooper programming." But I think he meant in expanded material unfortunately. Which...I guess I can kinda look forward to in a way if Finn really does get his own central comic series that really dives into him as a character. The same will most likely go for why he was able to resist two decades of brainwashing. But I would love a comic series about him and his past/family. So many possibilities.

Blastaar likes this.
  14. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I really don't get fans obsession with Finn's birth family.

Finn was one of thousands of kids taken as babies/toddlers and put into the stormtrooper program.

If that happened to just him, or a handful of people, I'd understand.

But Finns biological family is just a statistic when you take in to account how many families had the same experience.

15. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I would guess that some people would like to see Finn get some focus on something that's uniquely his. Since they seem to have completely done away with the idea of a force connection for him and won't give any real focus to his past as a stormtrooper, what else is there?

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I've got no stake in Finn's birth family; ultimately, Finn's childhood was the one the First Order gave him, and as horrifying as being raised by a fascist government as a soldier is, it still meant there was an order and care-provider for him growing up, so Finn's defection is ultimately acting as a kind of divorce from his nurturing in their care, and he clearly isn't overly hung up on his birth parents. Rey had a more complex case because she was still defined by how she viewed her parents and largely had to survive on her own.

(Interestingly, the Phasma novel introduced a character who is the closest thing Finn would probably have to a father figure in Captain Cardinal, a Stormtrooper captain who raises the younger cadets and is shocked by the true nature of the FO and is last seen being smuggled out by a Resistance operative. The horror he feels at the implications of his whole life would have made a great pattern for Finn aboard the Supremacy.)

To me, the real meat of Finn's background that *should* have been explored was all the little lies, brainwashings, and dangers that lurked in the background of his upbringing. Imagine him going through the Supremacy and seeing a small school of prepubescent Stormtrooper cadets, only now seeing how harshly they're punished for not keeping up, or how they're being fed poisonous propaganda. Or have him talk to a former comrade, not for the purpose of a joke, but to confront him with the expected Stormtrooper mindset of laying down your life in the noble cause of Hux murdering billions of people. The deleted scene with Hardy has tension for the first half, but imagine how much stronger it would be if, instead of ending humorously, Finn was left shaken at how casually evil the First Order makes Stormtroopers be.

He should by all rights have a fairly brutal grudge against Phasma as the personification of the evils of the Stormtrooper program, not as some Saturday morning cartoon adversary.

Hypatia and cerealbox like this.
  17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    We already know something (even a little) about anybody's family (Rey, Poe and Rose etc) except Finn's. He was taken when he was a toddler, but Lucasfilm totally can show what happened with his family.
    [​IMG]

Troopa212 and Darth Smurf like this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    To be fair. We only of Poe's because of EU material

19. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Does that really count though? I mean a southern trooper speaks to him in the elevator. Even his janitorial post is a more in depth "touching". Eh, I guess it all fits. Its a pretty low bar though.

I agree. I'm not really interested in finn's birth family. I'd be more interested in them delving into why he broke conditioning.

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm interested in Finn's family.

But I'm fine with learning all that via the EU.

What I don't want is some cheap, groan inducing reveal of him being a Windu or Calrissian. Please no.

I was once rooting he'd be revealed as Luke's son, but that ship has sailed.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I viewed Finn as being the Everyman personified in TFA, and even to an extent in TLJ, despite my issues with it. I never felt a need to see him have some special legacy, because the character seems built to be the unextraordinary individual doing extraordinary things. It's also a matter of character structure; I felt that there was at least something, even if just a red herring, about Rey's past and family because of both the emphasis they put on it and how they had her past keep her static fro the first half of TFA until she reached the lightsaber, whereas with Finn, what mattered about him was what he was doing right now and they only brought up his parentage to point out how the FO dominated his life.

An EU story could be interesting, depending on how they view his parents: if he was genuinely kidnapped, his mom or dad could have spent the last two decades searching for him, or if his parents were FO supporters, we could get this darkly dramatic story of sacrificing your kid to the state.

22. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    There could be, maybe, an actually emotional, gripping family story in this trilogy, to be told only in the EU, about Finn finding his real family after said family thought they had lost their baby forever.

I mean, the potential is still there.

Revanfan1, Kurenai24, 11-4D and 3 others like this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think the more interesting story for the movies to tackle with Finn is his background as a brainwashed ST and how he broke that brainwashing and how that affects him going forward. I would happily read a novel or a comic of Finn, after the war, going on a quest to find his birth family and home. For the movies that just seems smaller than his ties to the enemy since I don't expect his family to be anyone important to the Resistance vs. FO plot. Plus like others have said, I think he works as the everyman.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That would be a pretty good book. As long as he is not related to anyone we know I would be done with it.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think there's a good chance Finn's immediate family is dead.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.