main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Sounds like Finn may be en route to being a super soldier, Steve Rogers style.

2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    It's a consqunce of his injury, it's a result of the decision he made, and potentially another obstacle for him to overcome.

....because his scars are a sign of the decisions he's made, and a consequence of the actions he took? Visual shorthand for what came before.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Maybe Finn simply has to wear some type of mechanical brace or what have you, for a short time. Maybe whatever this support is, it is damaged or destroyed halfway through the film and Finns first fight completely free of the device, is against Phasma.

His victory proving that he truly has made it back to 100%.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Troopa212 and BlurryUFOs like this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Picture of Dorian Gray.

The more evil Kylo commits, the more deformed and hideous his mental projection or his own psyche, Snoke, becomes.

Master of None likes this.
  5. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    It also explains why they decided to put him in a coma at the end of TFA. If he'd been conscious, they would have discovered he couldn't move his legs at the end of the first movie. Now they save that reveal for the beginning of the sequel.

I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. One on his left cheekbone, one on his chin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wonder if they're going to go so far as to add them to the action figures?

And you can see Poe's scar really faintly too.
    [​IMG]
    I guess they just like the look of scars on the male characters?

oncafar likes this.
  6. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    The scar under Finn's eye was definitely there by the time he goes lights out vs Kylo, you can see alittle smear of blood there when he hits the snow and i think again when Rey goes to check on him. Only point of his duel i can think of when he could have suffered them were either when the sparks fly as Kylo put the hilt saber into his shoulder or awhile after when he punches Finn before slicing his back.

Poe got his scar early in the film while being interrogated.

7. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I love that these scars and blemishes from their struggles stay with them. A visual record of the struggles they've undergone over a period of time in order to resist the FO.

With respect to Finn's recovery post-Hexacrypt, I hope it has less to do with cybernetics and more to do with physical therapy and the strength conditioning that type of recovery requires. A new spine imo is fine, but I would rather not see Finn's badassery be the result of him becoming a cyborg. I'd like to see it being the hard work he put in to recover from his injuries.

Troopa212 likes this.
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    According to Pablo

And we know Finn will be heading here to pick up some help for the Resistance...I wonder if it's his experience on Canto that cements his decision to fight. Seeing people who could clearly use their wealth and influence to help stop the FO squandering it on petty pursuits and game...might just turn his stomach.

oncafar likes this.
  9. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I would like it if Finn's mechanical spine (if he gets one), plays out in character progression like Luke's hand in RotJ. Luke became a very serious character in RotJ, having been through hell in ESB at the hands of Vader. Then he rescued his friends, went back for more training and finally helped defeat Palpatine. Hopefully Finn will have a similar story after he suffers a similar setback at the hands of Vader's grandchild in TFA.

10. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of Finn being paralyzed and then having to have cybernetic enhancements just to walk. At least I don't want it to be a continuing thing. Cybernetic to me screams easy exploitable weakness and the last thing I need is Finn with more weaknesses. Also please, if you're going to use that angle please don't give us a stupid scene where Finn has to be booted up through his spine to wake up or walk.

afrojedi likes this.
  11. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    I agree, I hope it's like one other poster said, we have one look at whatever they did to him like Luke with the cybernetic hand, then it's never brought up again, I'd hate for it to be a recurring thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afrojedi likes this.
  12. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Or worse, he gets turned off and on like C3PO for laughs. [face_hypnotized] with a remote controller... ;)

13. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    This pic is why we can't be so certain that Rey reunites with the group in the film. (Daisy is not in costume while everyone else is) Also, it's why Daisy's comments on reuniting with John onset could just mean hanging out in between takes.

[​IMG]

14. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    They could also be being very careful with what they release. An off screen pic with them all in costume pretty much confirms a clue we are trying to discover.

15. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    This part of the interview...

...implies that Finn's lightsaber injury is given more of a lingering focus than Luke's was in ESB.

However, the film must move through the period of time when he's "grounded" pretty quickly since he's on horseback in Canto Bight by the beginning of the second act.

John's emphasis on the injury makes it sound like his healing is not just going to be glossed over with a time skip or a montage and then never mentioned again, though.

Maybe it becomes Finn's "toughest challenge" that Rian said he was giving each of the heroes in this movie. Like maybe he will henceforth suffer from chronic pain that he has to find a way to power through?

In any case, I'm now wondering if the mysterious "Bio Hexacrypt" is a spinal implant permitting him to walk.

I think it's less likely now--after seeing Mark in costume with Carrie on the Resistance base set and hearing Oscar basically give away that Poe meets Luke at the end of the film--that Rey joins the group in this movie.

Purely because it would seem a little too happy and perfect for ALL the heroes to end up together in the end.

That rumor about Rey in a jail cell and Luke and Finn in the same location at the end is looking a little more likely, though.

Mark did also say in a SWCO interview that, "the middle film is where everything goes wrong for the protagonist," so it makes sense that Rey would be the one character who doesn't get to join the happy reunion.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, that's most likely where they came from. I can't think of anything else that would've caused them.

Han Drolo likes this.
  17. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    TFA had the mask thing going with finn, kylo and rey (and vader). TLJ has the scar thing going on with at least kylo, finn and poe... and maybe rey too as people noticed a scar on the toy box image.

masks = who are these people, who are they trying to be, what do they hide
    scars = digging into the characters, their wounds, the past, what challenges/strains them most, etc.

(i hadn't noticed finn's or poe's scars so thanks!)

eta: and snoke has that massive gash on his head.

Kthru12 likes this.
  18. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    The toy box picture is in the "samurai" outfit, so probably late in the film, so you're right, she could still get a scar during TLJ.[​IMG]

Masks > Scars > ?

I wonder what's in store for IX?

oncafar likes this.
  19. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    Hmm well this kind of confirms for me that they reunite in this film. What makes you think she's not in costume here? She's completely covered. It looks like a FO interior as well.

20. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

The hair.

JediAce1 and Master of None like this.
  21. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
  22. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    Not seeing how that's not her look for this movie.

23. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

Prepare for our dreams to be crushed tomorrow boys and gals!

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    At least there might be some finality to the situation.
    And we can finally move on.

Kthru12 likes this.
  25. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    I don't know about moving on.

If he confirms my worse suspicions (that it was a choice made purely to trick fans into thinking Finn was going to be a jedi) I will have an opinion on that.

Troopa212 and Ryanpaulstewart like this.