main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yup. But Finn's outfit is clearly the same as the one Paige wears, and she's a gunner, not a pilot.
    [​IMG]

Kthru12 likes this.
  2. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    Cool, that makes sense! I'm basically colour blind when it comes to ships and uniforms, so I struggle with things like this. I'll update my post later.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    CosmicDust

Rose is not dying.

nonesuch

So what do you make of sad Rose sitting on the MF rail sometime in the third act (aka Finn and Rose get a hairdo-over)? As you can see, she's wearing an updo unlike all other scenes where her hair was down save a tiny ponytale (DQ, Canto Bight, SSD)

[​IMG]

Looks like she's looking up at someone (Finn?). I'm wondering if there's going to be the finale mission where, lets say, Finn, Rey, Poe, BB8, Luke? fly the MF over to SSD. That would corroborate "Luke goes for Snoke, Rey goes for Kylo" (or Luke's already there so they come to his aid or whatever) and "Finn, Poe, BB8 and Kylo are stuck on the falling SSD while Rey leaves with Snoke." It makes no sense that she would randomly sit on the MF rail unless it's specifically about someone about to leave on it. Or something to that extent.

It's just that Crait battle doesn't feel right for the very finale. Act 3 battle yes, but not the finale. Finale has to be more intimate and emotional and that's hard on the battlefield with walkers.

EDIT: Could the lighting bulb be BB8 rolling by and reflecting his light? They are boarding MF but she's staying behind.

4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Good lord people the military tends to hand out the same flight suit for bomber crews

[​IMG]

So yes Finn could still be a pilot...especially when you take that Lego leak into account.

afrojedi likes this.
  5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

It's almost as if different flight groups get different colored suits.

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Anakin Skywalker went from racing pods to flying a Star Fighter....how hard do you think this is to learn in this universe? Also...we've seen indications of Finn flying a Resistance Transport pod...so this isn't out of the blue.

afrojedi likes this.
  8. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    This shot is at nighttime while the Act 3 battle is during the day. Rey and Poe can't be leaving that night because they are fighting on Crait the following morning (see lego set, daylit clip of Crait battle from the teaser, and BTS shot of Poe sliding on Crait during the daytime). And I doubt Finn is leaving in it by himself.

The "epic battle" Daisy mentions at 0:40 in this video is probably the Battle of Crait. You can have smaller, more intimate skirmishes in the midst of a larger battle, but that doesn't mean all the characters can't still be on the same battlefield.

9. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    New poster for Detroit

[​IMG]

NooThe, AhsokaSolo and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm sorry but this idea that Finn is barred from piloting is getting on my nerves...especially after the Lego leak. This video mentions training...and then we see him in a flight suit and have a toy with him apparently at the controls of a star ship. So, since Luke flew an X-Wing with no on screen training to speak of...Finn flying a ship after some guidance from Poe and experience with a transport pod isn't particularly far fetched...especially since Rey learned to do it off simulators she scrounged up and Anakin did it after getting a few pointers from a yacht pilot.

Edit:

Oh my...look what I found from Return of the Jedi

[​IMG]

A rebel pilot wearing a different colored flight suit.

afrojedi likes this.
  11. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    You can get your hopes up if you want to (I choose not to), my argument is that a time skip is not necessary to explain Finn's uniform in this image because the gunners wear that outfit. Therefore, we have no real evidence of a post-SSD, pre-Crait time skip at this point.

If there's any time skip in TLJ at all, it's more likely to take place mid-2nd Act.

Luke trains Rey in Act 2, giving the opportunity for time to skip ahead during a montage. And while Finn goes straight from Bacta suit > Resistance transport > Canto Bight, then straight from SSD > Crait (dancing with Daisy, still in the uniform) > Battle of Crait, there's a lull between Canto Bight and the SSD in the mid-2nd Act while he COULD skip ahead in time.

At this point, I think the training John mentions is more likely related related to espionage than flight.

mlsw likes this.
  12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    A time skip isn't necessary to explain Finn flying either. I'm not getting my hopes up I just don't see why people assume flying is something so difficult that it must be the result of a time skip....when we have at least one toy leak showing Finn at the controls of a Resistance Transport pod. As for Paige...she's part of a bomber crew...it's entirely possible she's perfectly capable of flying that ship, but is forced to take the gunner position due to crew deaths, while Poe flys it. In fact, looking at the Lego Resistance Bomber....she's wearing the exact same colored flight suit as everyone else....

Here...more Rebel pilots wearing different colored uniforms.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think the issue is about getting hopes up, especially after the lightsaber thing. We see Finn in a flight suit, so he could be trained at that point as a gunner, pilot or both. We obviously don't have enough information right now to know for sure so anyone stating definitively that he is or isn't is still guessing.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Whether FInn is a gunner or a pilot, I look forward to reading the impassioned arguments about how this decision shows how little Finn is respected by Lucasfilm.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

[​IMG]

16. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    I agree that there's no way to say for sure what sort of training John was referring to when he said that Rey and Finn are both training separately. I'm just arguing that it's more likely he receives some sort of spy training (or training with the mysterious weapon DJ allegedly gives Finn) than that he focuses on fighter pilot training right before his mission to infiltrate Snoke's command ship.

And that from what we've seen of him in the toy leaks and BTS footage, it looks like his story goes at a breakneck pace everywhere except here (post-Canto/pre-SD given he's wearing his Canto outfit and Poe's wearing his Crait Battle outfit), so it makes it the most likely place in the storyline for any sort of downtime that would allow for training:

[​IMG]

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They're completely hiding the humor and jokes of the film. Instead marketing like it's 99% dark and serious which Rian Johnson has somewhat complained about.

11-4D likes this.
  18. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm still not sure we have a good feeling where the time jump takes place. Whether he's potentially a spy or pilot both professions take a lot of skill and time to master. I wouldn't say one has a faster pipleline than the other. As a viewer I don't see the draw to making Finn a soldier/spy and then sending him off to be a gunner on someone else's ship.

However I can see him being a gunner as a viewer if he's waking from the BioHexaCrypt and the Resistance is in a bad way and needs him to be productive early in the movie. Perhaps he's gunning sortie after sortie as the Resistance tries to stay ahead of the FO before the opportunity comes to launch some sort of attack on the big ship. Given his origins, Finn is the obvious choice to train and spearhead the attack.

TLDR, I think being a gunner makes sense if it's occurring early in the movie, but less so towards the end.

19. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  20. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Outta my way kid!

Darth Smurf and 11-4D like this.
  21. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    That kid is gonna be the main character in the next trilogy, just watch.

22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    This kid is the Last Jedi

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Already getting a little anxious / teary from this poster. Will probably rent as I suspect I'd be very upset in the theatre.

The Last Jedi tone: good I am glad to hear there will be some light moments in the movie.

JediAce1 likes this.
  24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    They have to keep a few surprises.

25. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

I'm ... kind of getting a bit worried about Finn.

So Rey at some point leaves Ahch-to in her "Jedi Training" outfit, with Chewie but maybe not with Luke (he's not in the pictures, at least). Finn is running a dangerous mission at the time. Has she seen some kind of vision?

Then she's on Crait, same outfit, Finn in the same outfit as above, and there's a shot of her apparently kneeling while Leia speaks to her gravely about something.

They surely can't kill their co-lead in the second movie, but it does have some echoes of Luke running off to save his friends, Anakin desperate to save his mother and Padme, etc. And Finn is really the only one in the Resistance she has an attachment to - she hasn't even met Poe or Rose on screen.