main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What you're saying is that Finn and Rose might travel to the unknown regions?

starocean90 likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    naw, I'm saying that Finn and Rose are getting married, Las Vegas Canto Bright style.:p

and Rey is going there to scream "I object!";)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016

Absolutely! I think excluding Finn from the romance discussion is ridiculous - all the main possible pairings from the reliable (FinnRey, FinnRose) to the unlikely (sadly, I doubt FinnPoe will be happening, despite it being my other sequel trilogy pairing) center on Finn in some way. I know John's the only one who's done chemistry tests with all other leads save Adam - he and Daisy had chemistry tests, he and Kelly did a chemistry read, and I read somewhere both he and Daisy did a chem read with Oscar too. Finn is the romantic lead there, no matter what. And that's wonderful for so many reasons. Finn deserves all the love!

4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I think if FinnPoe will be canon, I will love Lucasfilm forever. FinnRey is great too but it's so hard to find a LGBT representation in movies.... And between two people of color? Fantastic!

PS: I'm a latin bisexual and I have friend in LGBT community that are interested in Finn/Poe too. Unfortunately some reporters prefer to make jokes about this ship to Boyega and it make me uncomfortable

CosmicDust and sharasbeys like this.
  5. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016

As a gay woman I'd love FinnPoe to go canon too. But one of the reasons I love all Finn ships is they're all progressive and awesome rep in film.

I'm so over people making terrible jokes to John about FinnPoe, especially when he and Oscar are good friends and he's been so supportive of FinnPoe fans in the past. LGBT rep isn't a joke or something to do a whole "wink wink nudge" about (and I'd love to talk more about that but this might not be the board for it? Since it only partially is about Finn)

Deerborne, CosmicDust and Jedi Jessy like this.
  6. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I wish people would stop asking any and all actors about fanfics. I don't think anyone enjoys those, the actors, interviewers, and fans alike. lol Someone recently asked John about Finn/Poe fic, and I was ready to cringe about another actor making fun of fic and slash in particular, but then John redirected the conversation to fanfic in general and how fic and writing is art at the end of the day. I feel like Lucasfilms should have John do all the promotional stuff for Star Wars.

GauntGrandMoff and sharasbeys like this.
  7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Why are you this way.

8. King of Alderaan

King of Alderaan Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2017
    Starting out as friends is fine. However, here Rey completely dominates him in every aspect. You could say they will end up like Katniss-Peeta, but in that pairing romance was seen in the first movie itself. Not here. Plus Rei is a Jedi and cannot have romantic attachments.

Don't know about Farscape. But generally, romance doesn't start with the male lead being humiliated by the girl. You won't see Rose beating Finn up with a stick.

True, but he should have stopped when she shouted "let go of my hand". Women don't like clingy men.

Crying isn't a sign of romantic attraction. People cry when their friends die or get hurt bad. Her reaction to him coming back was a simple hug. That was the perfect moment to kiss...but she gave him a sisterly hug.

I don't care about romance much, bit Finn-Rey certainly won't happen. The majority saw if too, which is why the pairing isn't popular.

9. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016

The question is where does the romance start? Normally these feelings and Emotions develop over time in terms of romance there is a courting stage a get to know one another process and out of all the characters Finn and Rey have the necessary templates in place in order for a Romance to blossom. I think it depends on the viewers perception i believe if you don't want to see these two characters in a romance regardless how strong the evidence is you will believe everything was brotherly sisterly platonic won't happen period point blank.

rayjefury likes this.
  10. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The scene where they reunited absolutely did NOT need a kiss. That would have been incredibly rushed and unearned. You do realize by that point they've only known each other for a couple hours?

Also, the rest of your post is weird. Do you HONESTLY feel as if Rey thinks Finn is clingy? Then why did she get emotional when he left her on Takodana? Why did she cry over his body on SKB?

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Because it feels so right.

starocean90 likes this.
  12. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    I believe Rian when he says that romance is not a centerpiece in TLJ (which says to me that, as in ANH and TFA, it will be left ambiguous and up for debate).

And I believe him when he says the directors are making it up as they go along, and that IX will be up for Colin to map out.

And given that Colin has received so much criticism for sexist depictions of women in his films, I believe that he will play it extra safe and not include any romance in IX either (because it's so easy to criticize a female-led movie for having a love story in it. Look at the praise Moana got and the criticism Wonder Woman got).

So IMO, while FinnRey could have happened (was set up to be a possible outcome) I think TPTB are more likely than not to back away from it now.

FinnRose might be a little more likely due to the fact that Rose isn't the main female character. But I wouldn't be surprised if Colin just steered clear of romance altogether. The last thing he needs are three movies in a row containing female characters who are called out for being regressive.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  13. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

Then there's the fact he was the one coming up with the workable plans throughout the majority of the film, along with the fact it was his action that lead to her rescue and her even having a chance against Kylo since he covered her when she was knocked out.

So we take that, then look at what Finn and Rey are getting up to in TLJ and it's clear they're both going to be shown as strong and capable people.

I don't know why I would, the set up for Finn-Rey seems different enough based on my understanding of the series you are referencing.

The reasons people feel a romance has been set up between Rey-Finn have already been listed so I will not repeat them. I will simply state that your assertion is not universally held.

Rey is a human being and can chose to ignore the dogma of the old Jedi order if she wishes too...in fact going by Luke's statements that rule may be ignored going forward. It was ignored in the old EU's new Jedi order, and it was ignored in Star Wars Rebels since Kanan (a Jedi) is clearly in a relationship with Hera.

Where in the world have YOU been? Here read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveAtFirstPunch

That's not being clingy, that's trying to get some one moving before they are killed...which is something Rey realized going by the look on her face after the TIEs bombed the tent they were in. Had he not done that...she'd likely be spread all over the bazaar.

It's a sign that in the short amount of time they've been together he's come to mean a lot to her, which is something that can lead to romance

She cried when Finn was leaving, which suggests she has a fair amount of emotional attachment to him.

Initiated by Rey, who initially didn't even want him holding her hand, that is a significant change in her attitude and reaction to him.

You are entitled to that interpretation but calling that hug 'sisterly' seems like an attempt to deny the nature of the connection they've forged in the film. Further more a kiss is not the be-all end-all sign of a romantic relationship. Tron Legacy and Pacific Rim both end with the couple in question sharing a moment but not actually kissing one another.

I don't know how you can reach that conclusion since we have two full movies to go and we're already seeing that the two link up again after grand adventures.

In Avatar the Last Airbender the most talked about pairing was Between Zuko Katara....that pairing failed to occur in series. In Naruto people talked a lot about Naruto and Sakura, which also failed to occur. My point: Vocal fans wanting something different from what is actually going to happen is nothing new.

It should be pointed out that Lucas Films has re-shoot scenes if things don't work out the way they wanted. So if and Rey-Finn is something they want to happen, it will...whether or not Colin directs the scenes. Also, Rey falling in love isn't regressive in and of itself, it just may not be hammered home like it was in previous films. Rian does seem to feel that our leads need to mature a bit before getting into a relationship and he's probably right. Both are Naive about a lot of things, but by the same token it really wouldn't be hard to see them holding hands and leaning into one another as the credit's role on Episode 9.

I mean this shot

[​IMG]

Has more believable chemistry than the relationship between Anakin and Padme in the films. I mean just look at that smile.

starocean90 likes this.
  14. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    There is a whole thread dedicated to the relationship between Finn and Rey that is over 350 pages long, and has some nice insights in it. While the film was more subtle on the topic, the TFA novelization, script notes, and later books were less than so.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...finn-and-rey-see-first-post-warning.50035552/

Personally, I don't think they'll go that route, that TFA was more of a test to gauge if audiences were ready for a relationship like that in Star Wars again. After seeing Homecoming a couple weeks ago, and hearing the people around me groan nonstop throughout the film, I'm going to say that they are not.

15. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Odd, no one groaned around me when I saw that film. I'm sure some people will be resistant to such things but in the end I think more people will accept it than be against it.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  16. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    I'm not saying that I personally believe it would be regressive (I was disappointed by Rian's comments in Vanity Fair because I enjoy romantic subplots myself), I'm saying that given his reputation, I believe Colin will bend over backwards to make sure that nothing in his movie can be accused of being sexist. One way to play it safe in that respect is to omit romance.

John and Daisy could of course play a believable couple if the script called for it (otherwise they wouldn't have been cast; I believe that romance was always considered to be on the table as a possible direction to take their characters), I just have my doubts now that romance will be a part of the ST (especially a romance involving Rey).

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    his real name is Dolph Lundgren!:p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I kind of feel the opposite. Rian Johnson, and really Lucasfilm in general seem to be expanding the philosophy of the force. Luke's line that "It's so much bigger." kind of resonates with that. I think Rian is being honest that there is no significant romance in his film, but I do believe that our leads maturing and having challenging new experiences will feed back into their relationship. Finn becomes a big deal in the Resistance, Rey is on her way to being a Jedi knight. People will look at them both with various expectations, and likely see the legends they've built more than the people they are, which might bring the pair closer since they can be themselves in one anothers' company. Honestly I think Finn is going to be dealing with a fair amount of hero worship in the resistance, which might be what drives him to take missions away from the main fleet. A mix of a desire not to let people who trust him down, but also a desire to get away from people who keep treating him as something special when he may not feel that way at all.

19. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I wish I had gone to a theatre like yours then, where I live it's no secret some are less tolerant to progressive ideals. Makes me wish I saved my money to watch at a near empty showing, but I don't want to be the one to ruin this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think any romance between Rey and Finn will happen in IX. For now the main thing for those 2 is the eventual reunion. Which could offer an idea on whether something more could happen or not.

21. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    I do think there has to be some kind of drama to the 3rd act reunion. If not romantic, then something else.

It's too anticlimactic to have Finn spend all of the first movie with Rey, spend most of the 2nd movie apart from Rey, see her again 20 minutes before the end of the film and not have any reaction other than, "Hey, friend, how're you doing?" Same goes for Rey. Some sort of dramatic tension needs to develop between them.

Maybe Finn becomes distrustful of Rey now that she's a Force user because his only prior experience with Force users is Kylo Ren. Plus I'm sure he's been taught to distrust Luke Skywalker and now she's his protege.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't foresee Finn having a problem with the force, as that feels artificial and forced. I mean he was willing to use it to fight against the FO on SKB. The real problem might come from diverging experiences. Rey's been out of the main fight, hasn't seen what Finn has, hasn't experienced the Desperate fight against the FO first hand and might be convinced that there is a solution other than fighting. Finn, seeing it all first hand might have a different opinion and that disconnect might cause the proper amount of tension.

starocean90 likes this.
  23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The reunion is the only reason I think a romance might happen. It's bound to be emotional and dramatic for the both of them since the last time they saw each other they both were unconscious.

24. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    John's gonna be on the Jimmy Fallon show tonight

[​IMG]

25. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I expect at least one shipping question on the show! lol