main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I know this is TFA Complaints Greatest Hits Week but can we please keep this thread focused on the film that's about to be released? My sanity thanks you for it you wonderful people!

2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Why would the Japanese trailer cause you to be jaded? Even from a diversity in films perspective, it demonstrates at most that the Japanese marketing is lagging way behind the rest of the world in terms of being inclusive and diverse.
    From a reasonable "Finn fan" perspective, the only meaningful thing is his role in the film, which none of us have yet seen.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It's the Japanese TV spot. But you're right about the embarassment.

Edit: No offense CEB. But please don't direct those types of questions to me.

First, because I don't think the mods want us going off topic. And second, because I don't you'd understand the answer anyway.

The key word is sonder.

afrojedi and BlurryUFOs like this.
  4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Remember when we all thought Finn was going to have a big ol' robot spine in TLJ? Ha!

11-4D and Master of None like this.
  5. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    We're past the point where we should just accept blatant discrimination. It's 2017 bro, these people are the very same people who worship pro athletes like Kobe Bryant or Usain Bolt. They should know better by now and they do.

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Of course they should. That's not my point. My point is that using a Japanese trailer as evidence of what people at the top of Lucasfilm think about Finn isn't really useful or illuminating, so it doesn't really function as a point in the context of "and on top of the fact that Finn is being treated badly as a character, now THIS" - it's a wobbly stack of points that don't all have solid foundations by any means, and any dissent from this narrative that Finn as a character is being undermined is greeted with a barrage of pushback that is more up for debate.
    So yeah, by all means criticise the Japanese teaser, just don't act like its part of an overarcing strategy to downplay Finn, cos that ain't happening

7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    OK, so let's talk about IX which is being written by the same guy who wasn't able to write Han Solo into the story without overshadowing his young male lead. Should we be worried the same thing could happen again in IX?

NooThe, afrojedi and cerealbox like this.
  8. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

To be fair that's mostly on Kasdan, the guy just loves to write Han. Thankfully (although i love Han) Han is dead now, and Kasdan isn't involved anymore.

afrojedi and cerealbox like this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I'd disagree, I thought once Han came into the story he had a really good chemistry with Finn and they played off each other really well. I think that Finn being funny is being taken as if it's a nagative, but Finn's sense of humour and Boyega's performance gives him humanity and a character that's distinct from every other Star Wars character. And Finn's story continues during Han's presence and after - the kick ass moment when a humble stormtrooper picks up a lightsaber to fight a far more powerful foe is probably the best moment of bravery in the entire saga, with the possible exception of Luke's throwing down of his lightsaber.

11-4D and Strongbow like this.
  10. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I don't thunk Lucafilm is behind this, that's ridiculous. Pretty sure Japanese media has their own editors , who for some reason are so obsessed with Caucasian features they even draw their anime/manga characters to reflect their desire to look this way.

NooThe likes this.
  11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Can't wait to see the Japanese and Chinese TLJ posters.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well I'll make it easy for you. If you wish to discuss Episode IX that's fine but if you wish to use IX as a pretext to continue complaining about TFA then you can do so in the Unban Request forum. I promise you no one will be there to bother you. You can complain about it all day long. ;)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Can I at least ask you for your opinion on Pablo's tweets posted on the previous page? I'm very curious.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    About his opinion of Han? I disagree. I thought Han integrated brilliantly with Rey and Finn, and his death meant that the new leads had to deal with the main antagonist themselves. For me, it worked. For PH, it didn't. That's fine

15. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

There's always been humor in star wars, but the only other character that had moments like "i'm in charge phasma!" , was that infamous prequel character. They can do humor in a way that doesn't come across as lame or at the character's expense. Han was usually the source of humor in the OT. That flew well because there was never any doubt about his capabilities in a fight. I'm more concerned with JJ's fixation on mystery boxes and stupid plot twists. He also has a very bad habit of not wanting to complete character arcs, so i hope he brings in some help with the writing. For all we know, IX may just end on some dumb cliffhanger where our heroes walk into a bright light, then credits.

NooThe, afrojedi and cerealbox like this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think you may have hit a strong point about the nature of the First Order's rank and file; it seems that while the puppet masters are selfish, cynical, and sociopathic, the puppets are deliberately raised to have enough useable virtues that they remain a cut above the military forces of the Empire. The First Order seems to want valorous, cooperative, dedicated troops, but not in the same style as the Empire's Stormtroopers. They want the foot soldiers to view the leadership, all of the leadership, as wise, just and "good" people, and for the rank and file to view the First Order as family. So they raise their bureacracy, soldiers, and henchmen on their warships, making them see war material as home sweet home, uphold Snoke, Phasma, and Ren as paragons, and spend a huge amount of resources brainwashing everyone.

It's far more of an actual cult than the Empire. And unfortunately for the First Order, the illusion isn't perfect, and has exploitable flaws.

Finn shows the "positive" aspects of the First Order's programming by his actions and personality. You'd think the non-powered co-star would be a cynic, like Leia or Han, but instead, he's almost naive in some ways, which is made very apparent with Han around. He has a moral code that the First Order didn't seem so much to try and erase but instead twist, and he just didn't twist for them. He is just as much of a newcomer to the Galaxy as Rey, showing that he's been forbidden from seeing the real Galaxy outside. And as for why he doesn't seem attached to his squad, or the men he works with? There's probably a hiccup between the instilling od strong martial virtues and familial fanaticism that Cardinal mindlessly engenders on Absolution and Phasma's efforts to make the Absolution graduates become killers. The book Phasma makes it clear that Phasma values loyalty and camaraderie... But only when they suit her purpose, and she uses some basic manipulation to separate people from those who would "hold them back."

Finn, and the other Absolution graduates, may have been deliberately set into different groups designed to encourage a focus on the FO as the family unit instead of the actual people they were with, separated from friends and de-facto kin while under Phasma's care.

oncafar and MrDarth0 like this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah, my tastes seem to be similar to Pablo's, but I disagree with his opinion on Han in the film. i thought he was perfectly integratd. And I loved the interaction of Finn and Han.

I'd love ro see Finn build his character with an eye to their brief relationship.

18. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

And yet when you bring the subject up about Japanese anime characters with European features, defenders will dismiss you as an idiot who doesn't get that those are actually Japanese features or some other nonsense.

By the way the first Japanese trailer for TFA took clips directly from that introductory teaser trailer of TFA, but it excluded Finn too. It had the shots of Rey, Poe, Kylo and BB8. But zero Finn. It's more than a pattern, and I too have gone on record years ago stating KK and Lucas Film were not the ones making the decision on that front. But they do have enough clout to intervene and tell those behind the advertising in Asia to do better in terms of marketing Finn's image. Doesn't seem like they made an attempt at this but who knows for sure.

In defense of the Japanese in regards to this latest commercial, its not as if Lucas Film gave them a lot of options in terms of Finn's image in the lone trailer.

afrojedi likes this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    And your last sentence is why a part of me fears we'll barely get Finn in the October English trailer as well.

20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Agreed they've got awesome detail.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Or evolve into a shark. He's called Finn, right? :p

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Which seems to take us right back round to the idea that Finn's brand of masculinity is what is the problem for some people. For me, the fact that there hasn't been a character with quite the same traits and outlook as Finn is a good thing. And I'd totally dispute that he's closest in tone to Jar Jar Binks. In fact, I'd say that the character he's closest in tone to is Han in ROTJ, or to go a step removed, Indiana Jones in the sense that he's always just slightly out of his depth.

Regarding the "being useful in a fight" thing, the dynamics of the story plus the inherent nature of his being a stormtrooper means that he's essentially pretty much a grunt or a villainous redshirt at the start, and it's not important for him to be the best in a fight, it's important for him to find something to fight for and to actually do so - which he does.

Anyone comparing Finn to Jar Jar must have not watched to the end of TPM or TFA because in TPM there was a Jar Jar who pratfalled his way through a battle against battledroids that ended with him surrendering just before all the droids were shut down, while Finn did what amounts to the equivalent of the stormtrooper who bangs his head in ANH taking a lightsaber to a faith against Darth Vader, against all odds, to protect his friend, and fighting valiantly. It's very weird how the people who seem to be campaigning from a stated position of wanting Finn to be respected are the ones who utterly diss the character themselves, ignoring everything good about him.

godisawesome likes this.
  23. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Why wouldn't they need LFL to sign off on the edits though? The material belongs to them. I guess it's a fight they don't necessarily want to fight whether they agree or disagree with the edits--which either way I find unfortunate.

I wonder how his poster for PR2 will look in the the Japanese and Chinese markets.

cerealbox likes this.
  24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I would imagine that, for better or worse (and possibly worse) things like teaser edits for different locations are delegated to people who are experts in marketing, and that perhaps the assumption is that if existing footage is what's used, local marketers are the experts on how to package it in a way that works in different locales, so the signing off is done at a local level. Or, something like locations are sent packages of promo footage, music, fonts, style guides etc, and left to their own devices to package it.
    I suspect that if it were to blow up and become a big thing, it could potentially become a big deal and Lucasfilm would then have to address it, but I do think a sense of proportion is needed here - this indicates a potential problem in Japanese culture, and a pandering to that by local marketers. It doesn't hint at what Lucasfilm really thinks of Finn, or of institutional racism at Lucasfilm or anything like that

25. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    So increasing Rey's bust size and/or reducing her image to match that of Rose while making images of Luke, Kylo and Poe the focal points shift the proportion? Or would that that too be chalked up as cultural?

cerealbox and rayjefury like this.