main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001

So less then 3 minutes with a lightsaber = Jedi?

Let me know when there is actually something to base that on.

2. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    He uses it enough to justify usage for the next two films, and the times he usues it, its against opponents not like Han cutting open a tauntaun. We are never going to agree on this so I think we should agree to disagree.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

3. fenton

Nov 29, 2001

Which means nothing - he is given it to given to Rey. And then use's it when he has too. There is NO indication that Finn is any good at it, and/or can use the Force. Sorry.

4. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Well it means something to me, sorry you don't feel the same. I would like to go no further in this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

cbsnswf2390 likes this.
  5. fenton

Nov 29, 2001

But it means nothing in the universe and nothing to the people writing the stories.

6. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I keep seeing that Finn will have a new romantic interest but I don't see it happening at all.
    i think the word "chemistry" is misleading people. It doesn't necessarily mean 'romantic' but rather that those two will have important scenes together.
    So the woman could be a member of his family and since she might not be black, she could be a link to his family as someone who knew his parents or where he comes from.

It's Star Wars, they never developped in the movies two love stories at the same time with the lead and I'm glad. Why would that change now?
    Espacially since they've done so much to etablish Finn/Rey as potential love story in the first movie.

Now maybe Rey will be back from her training, rush to see how Finn is doing and will see him having fun or something with that new woman. Maybe Rey is gonna be jealous for 0.2 seconds and that will make her realize that she has to give up Finn to become a Jedi.
    That I can see but nothing more really. Love triangle should never be a thing,ever.

Big Boss likes this.
  7. TFAposter

TFAposter Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    "So less then 3 minutes with a lightsaber = Jedi?"

Name any other character in the SW movieverse that has used a lightsaber for as much screen time as Finn and wasn't a Jedi or Sith or FS. (And if you say Grievous, remember that Grievous had enhancements that Finn doesn't have...)

Also....

I'd like them to do something unique with Finn if he is FS. Like, maybe duel-wielding blasters....some Jason Bourne-type combat. Lightsaber optional.

8. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    lol
    all these theories coming out of nowhere? can't we base theories on supported ground? ie TFA/TFA novel/Visual Dictionary.
    Finn, by all intents and purposes is a character that was already different than the other storm troopers, so that makes him unique. does that mean force sensitivity? certainly not. thats extrapolating unnecessarily. he had a conscience. hence TFA opening scenes on Jakku. Finn also really likes Rey; enough to fly over to the FO BASE (which, would have been the last place he'd have wanted to go, Jakku withstanding) to save her. Han has to literally break them apart while they have a scene to hug it out. he selflessly tries to save her again from Kylo, before getting rekt. Rey sits with Finn in the medical bay before heading to Luke (which to me wasnt a case of "going to Luke to train", it seemed more "we need Luke at the Resistance to stand a chance against the FO", so i highly doubt Rey will have any SIGNIFICANT training, by the time VIII comes around, even less so Finn). so i'd say any theories of the new actresses having a romance with Finn are highly unlikely. it just doesnt fit with whats been shown to us so far - in canon.
    so that brings me to what IS likely to happen with Finn in VIII: what i think is rather boring to read on paper, but will likely be done quite well. Finn awakes from his coma with some faulty memories. theyre there, but not all there, and whether or not they come back, has panic attacks from them (a masked figure with an energy sword, a girl he has feelings for etc). the next part would be totally depending on what else is happening in the film, is Rey and Luke back from Skellig yet? will Finn go after Rey if theyre not? will Poe and Finn rekindle and go off on missions regardless of the aforementioned questions? that depends and its killing me we dont have any leaks as of yet to base even more theories on. but as it stands i think we are in for Soldier Finn who has gone up a few ranks for his bravery and display in the field. the force sensitive thing i think is 65% non FS 35% FS, simply because nothing was 100% shown, yet we do see him as a main charcater in a movie titled "the force awakens" and him using a light sabre in said movie, coupled with the interest in Rey that could lead him to Luke and Rey. but other than that, its unlikely from the canon, probably even more so in-canon.

9. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    If Finn ends up being force sensitive I hope he doesn't train to become a Jedi. This may sound counter-intuitive but we've never had a force sensitive character who forsakes training to simply live their lives on their own terms in any of the Star Wars films (other than Leia) and actually followed ther story. I wouldn't mind if Finn finds out that he is force sensitive only to reject training due to his experiences with the FO. It would make him a unique character in a franchise where being a Jedi or Sith Lord seems to be the only thing that matters. A force-sensitive soldier who subtly uses the force to give him an edge on the battlefield seems far more interesting than another would-be Jedi.

Klara likes this.
  10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    John just indicated that he will "start training" soon. He could be talking about training for a marathon, for all i know, but hmmmm..... methinks he will be training with something that has a pointy end.

The Force will be with Finn in VIII!

Klara and cbsnswf2390 like this.
  11. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't think that he's going to be force sensitive we have Rey being force sensitive already, then we have 3 fs journeys to follow. The movie made it a point to show us Rey was special in terms of not being able to control her emotions and being very powerful. Finn is different in that he knows who he is he doesn't want to kill, I love him and Poe's friendship I want to see those two working together. I also think Rey and him might have romantic relationship but she might have one with Poe its hard to say but I feel like Finn for sure, i think Rey is going to end up turning and Finn will be ONE of the things that brings her back.

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    ^ I think that it is too much of a coincidence for Finn to break his conditioning (his backstory has him as a very good stormtrooper) just as the Force becomes stronger and Force-sensitive people all over presumably, start becoming attuned to it.

I would also like to see more than one "new generation of Jedi" (Rey) in the saga ... not counting Ben Solo, of course.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

That interesting because Rian told JJ to leave Finn in a coma. He was supposed to be up and around (recovering) at the end of TFA. Rian wanted him still in the coma.

Klara likes this.
  14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd be perfectly ok if he turns into some kind of cool special-ops type of character for the Resistance. He and his boyfriend ;) Poe can go on elite missions for Leia and co, being Force Sensitive isn't a necessity imo.

15. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015

Really?! Do you have a link please?

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I do seem to recall JJ saying that he changed certain things in his movie at Rian's request, but I don't know if he gave specifics. And I still think that part of the reason why he left so many things ambiguous and unanswered was to avoid potentially stepping on Rian (and Colin Treverrow's) toes. Or perhaps he has some knowledge of where they're planning to go, and reacted accordingly.

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I have a feeling that ep VIII, following trend, will just be a rehash of ESB with an attack on the Resistance Base in the First Act. As the Resistance evacuate the Base they find that the Medical Frigate won't start and they have to leave Finn behind. They can rescue him during the Final Act of ep. IX, just in time for Rey's marriage to Poe.

Han Drolo likes this.
  18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No way. That's not going to happen.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Luke_Skywalker_1 and Obiwan10 like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I honestly didn't like Finn that much in TFA. Hopefully that changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnaZero likes this.
  20. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

I like John Boyega but Finn himself is a difficult character to like. He never stands out for anything other than causing trouble and stumbling where your standard hero would rise. I still feel that he's a lot like Han Solo in RoTJ where he comes across as somewhat incompetent. That's only made worse when you consider he's as selfish and self-serving as Han was in ANH. Basically, he takes on far too many negative traits which makes him rather irritating. Having said that, John himself is incredibly charismatic and does a lot with what I felt was a very poorly written character. I'm hoping they flesh him out a bit more in the sequel and give him an opportunity to come into his own because as it currently stands Finn is pretty useless and selfish. I can't see following someone like that for a trilogy of films.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I liked a lot about Finn in TFA. That said, I left the theater wanting to see more of Poe and a bit "tired" of Finn. I'm hoping their amount of screen time is flipped in Ep8, and we see more Poe and a bit less of Finn. Just for Ep8. Then Ep9 can be the Rey and Finn show again with a more matured, well-rounded Finn.

22. AurilliusPrime

AurilliusPrime Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Finn as currently written is just not interesting to me. Maybe he can be captured by the FO and used to lure our heros in a trap echoing Lando at cloud city.... I don't know. Finn is currently the brussels sprouts of the ST. He is certainly not co-lead material right now. They have a lot of work to do to make him a cool character if they choose to but Poe has more of a positive energy surrounding his possibilities right now. .

MagnaZero and Skaddix like this.
  23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I feel like Finn is going to be used against Rey in order to get her to dabble with the dark or turn.

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "That interesting because Rian told JJ to leave Finn in a coma. "

Which is interesting because that is what Trevorrow told Johnson as well.

25. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Seriously, your Finn hate is not funny.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

Obiwan10 likes this.