main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    that was scary

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I'm bisexual and to me TFA showed FinnRey and FinnPoe as possible

3. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Great TV spot.

Finally, marketing for this movie that treats Finn as a lead and not a supporting character.

4. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Finn needs a better motive.

EDIT: Including Kylo Ren.

11-4D and Blastaar like this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Gotcha. I could see that too.

6. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    That's actually his main storyline for the film. Finding a motive.

In TFA, he went to Starkilker base for Rey, not for the Resistance. In TLJ, his storyline will be about finding a reason to continue to fight in this galactic war.

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Discovering his past would be a good way to handle that.

8. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Bolded is what I am hoping for.
    And yes, I read the interviews.

But if the whole movie is just about two guys wondering 'where-Rey-is'; then it is going to bore me.
    It is already established how Rey's character is, so there shouldn't be more build up for her.

9. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    John said in interviews that initially finding Rey is his goal at the very start, but as the film goes on he discovers a new reason to continue to fight in the war.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Finn’s motive could just be that he knows, as an insider, that the First Order are a bunch of evil totalitarian dictatorial *******s.

As far as “Where’s Rey?” I didn’t assume that Finn and Poe will spend the movie looking for Rey. I just thought that line was put in the movie and trailer to let us know that she is on his mind. I assume that someone, probably Leia, knows that she went after Luke and will let Finn and Poe know.

I definitely think it would be lame if Finn’s sole motive for fighting the First Order were Rey, or if Finn and Poe spent a lot of time trying to figure out where Rey is, but I’m not anticipating that that’s what we’re going to get.

11. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    Finn has a mission though, and we know it's not to find Rey. So (thankfully) we can rest assured that they've given him more than just her to think about.

12. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    The last thing Finn remembers is an unconscious Rey on the ground before he had to fight Kylo and put in a coma, so it's logical that the first thing he does when he wakes up is ask for her. Obviously Finn and Poe are not looking for her in the movie, Poe (and Leia) know where she is(Leia send her), but it is a point for Finn to ask himself "and now what?" Finn only helped the Resistance why wanted rescue Rey, now he has to find a purpose and his place the "I need someone to show me my place in all this" seems to be the theme of the film.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All I know is that the Phasma/Finn duel had better be glorious.

14. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

you know.......I gotta admit, that trailer does seem to uh.....at least hint at finnrey. I dunno why'd they'd make finn so focused on rey otherwise.

lol what if them locking and then dashing back is the whole fight?

15. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    The camerawork is already so much more dynamic in their duel than any of the ones in TFA.

16. Darth Zero

Darth Zero Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2015
    Finn: "Where's Rey?"
    Poe: "You mean the girl that whacked you over the head with her staff, accused you of theft and didn't even apologize for her previous actions?"
    Finn: "..."
    Poe: "..."
    Poe: "You're hopeless dude."

Poe leaves and Porg enters the room somehow undetected by all there. It perches itself on Finn's shoulder and screams at him for whatever reason, reason allowed it. He looks at the thing.

Porg: "Shut up."

Finn starts to cry. The End.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    It was the focus in TFA too.

- Finn asking Rey if she has a boyfriend.
    - Han telling Finn women always find out the truth.
    - Finn and Rey goodbye, with classic look back at each other but miss seeing each other look.
    - Finn focus on getting Rey back while others focused on First Order and Ben.
    - the embrace and hold when they find each other.

The only time they strayed away from it was Rey's friendly kiss to unconscious Finn. She could have kissed him on the lips.

18. graw44

graw44 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 6, 2016
    Whats interesting is Finn is WALKING while wearing that giant white contraption, I thought Boyega said he would need help getting up and running so I guess he has to keep this thing on (maybe this is the Biohexacrypt), also it seems people are moving quickly in the background so while the FO is attacking in the beginning Finn seems to be awake, hopefully he does not have that outfit on for too long, cause I can see the michelin man memes a mile away lol.

Blastaar likes this.
  19. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
  20. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I keep thinking that the Stormtroopers in the background of the Finn and Phasma fight look like they're shooting in all kinds of directions so it makes me wonder if Finn really did inspire some kind of revolt among their ranks. I mean unless there's a whole squad of Resistance troops there fighting, not just Rose.

21. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    You got a point there.

So far the only "heroes" we see in that setting are Finn, Rose and DJ. [face_thinking]

22. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    There was the rumor of BB-8 hacking a walker. Maybe they're fighting him?

23. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

oh i def saw it in TFA. Its just 2 years of listening to why kylo and rey must make hotsecks tends to cloud one's expectations for the type of romance the ST will have.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Finn also seems genuinely ticked during his fight with Phasma, roughly on par with his desperate fury and bravado against Kylo while defending Rey. Is it possible that a good part of Finn's transformation into a true "big deal" in the Resistance (as in his personality and goals; he's already had that effect physically) is based off him seeing his old world through new eyes?

He has to already know about the executioner troopers, and already expressed a confidence in the FO's ruthlessness and merciless pursuit of its enemies. Maybe he does run into a few of his old friends in the order, or DJ's infiltration route takes him into the FO's civilian world. Now, while Finn may not be an expert in what the New Republic brought the worlds of the Galaxy, but it's possible his time with Rey and the Resistance, as insignificant as that was, and his observations of the village in TFA, have given him perspective to how sucky the FO is for those under its banner.

I mean, is Finn going to see children taken from crying families, see a friend executed simply for fraternizing unknowingly with Finn, and go full "LET MY PEOPLE GO!" ?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    TLJ summary: Finn wonders where Rey is. Kylo wonders where Rey is. Luke knows where Rey is and wonders why Rey won't leave.

In theaters December 15th.