main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I can't even figure out the sequence of events on Canto Bight. All these trailers are from a very small slice of this film. Even the BTS stuff mostly falls inline with the trailers...so figuring out what happens and where is proving difficult.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  2. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
  3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’m starting to think that maybe Finn’s path isn’t to lead a stormtrooper revolt, but to replace Chancelor Dameron as the best pilot in the Resistance. They are certainly focusing on his piloting in a way that really isn’t necessary... unless it plays a role in his arc.

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Which proves nothing, since it's set before TFA and is clearly a joke comic. We can talk again about his potential as a pilot when the new film is out.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    this comics are canons. Just like BFA is canon as well.

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Film supersedes all books, and that dosen't stop this comic from being a Joke. All this comic confirms is that Finn wasn't trained as a pilot, which we already knew. We'll see what happens if he actually has a chance to learn.

7. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Seems like Finn's impulsiveness (improvisation) will help when trying to escape the Canto Bight police. Doesn't seem like a methodical approach would get them on a space horse.

dragonchic likes this.
  8. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Well the films aren't shot in order so this scene may be towards the end of production. Finns probably wearing a helmet so his hair style probably doesn't matter.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a new hairstyle for Finn, that cut is fresh.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  9. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015

Yeah I obviously don't want to see Finn thrown under the bus to make someone else look good, but I don't see the inherent problem with being impulsive rather than methodical. Heck, I'd argue that the entire OT trio falls closer to the impulsive end of that spectrum.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  10. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    This is a very good video essay, and the comments section full of good points.
    I really am mostly invested in seeing how they portray Finn in TLJ now, if Rian has truly thought about this character, and explored a myriad of the issues that TFA failed to even establish properly.

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  12. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Tbh they don't need to go into such depth. Neither the OT or PT did, so why start now? What do we know about Leia in the OT? She's a princess and a rebel leader. That's it. Han? He's a smuggler and a bit of a scoundrel...we know no more, and we didn't need to. Then for the PT you have Obi-Wan and what do you know about him? He was Qui-Gon's apprentice, you get so little else, and yet the character still works very well.

We don't need reams of info about Finn either. in the EU maybe so! but the movies don't require it.

BloodStripe and GauntGrandMoff like this.
  13. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    The thing is that Finn was already said to be set up for his own separate hero's journey unlike Obi-Wan, Padme, Han and Leia. They've mentioned it before how he had to be "more than a supporting character or sidekick." Of course one could argue against it given his marketing as of lately, but I think what's more important is how he's being portrayed on screen than anything else. And we'll probably see more of him once JJ is back on board.

GauntGrandMoff likes this.
  14. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Narratively, the two are still opposites, and there is a bit of a personal conflict between them that would continue to make there interactions interesting. I'm not of the belief that Rey has been made to oppose Kylo, I feel a lot of her relationship with him will be dedicated to trying to give him an out. We know she allies with him at some point, and unless it turns out that he killed her parents or something like that, I don't expect her as the protagonist, to leave Leia's wish unfulfilled. Using my best judgement, I would say Finn would be his true adversary, the person that reminds him of his past self, and doesn't allow him any excuse for his actions by his simple existence.

Based on what Adam had to say about Kylo truly believing in the First Order's ideal in the TFA bonus features, I expect him to double down on his position, using the First Order to purge the galaxy of the corruption that the Republic and the Jedi ignored (and continue to do so). Finn's journey in TLJ has been stated to largely be about him finding a reason to fight for the Resistance's cause. If everything worked out, the two would continue to be directly at odds again.

In a recent interview, Ridley said something along the lines of Rey not really caring for the Resistance or their conflict. To me, this would best indict where everyone stands in the ST. Kylo believes the First Order is necessary, Finn believes they're wrong, and that to bring balance at the end of the trilogy, Rey would have to keep these two from killing each other.

There's not much of an indication that it would work out like that, but if it happened to work out like that, that would be way different from previous sagas.

15. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Needs more Finn. :)

17. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I mean, Luke had no fighter pilot training before ANH, but he still managed to blow up the Death Star.:)

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Throw away line in film states that he's become a good pilot flying T-16's which were later stated to be similar to X-Wing's as far as controls. Also notice that Wedge saved Luke before the Trench run and the force played a solid role in him adapting to thigns quickly.

Here: https://www.toptrumps.us/Star-Wars-Episode-8-The-Last-Jedi-Top-Trumps-p/002265.htm

Finn's stats are

Honor: 35
    Fear and Anger: 11
    Attitude: 8
    Greed: 0

All of which mean nothing since they're mostly the same stats from TFA from what I can tell.

19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^I had wondered whether Poe is actually flying the ship, while Finn is his gunner, like Luke and Dac in TESB. The ships look as if they could require two man operation.

20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    A thought, what if TLJ ends with the Resistance being destroyed and that is how we get that line from Finn "I had something worth fighting for...". However even though the Resistance is gone, there are still people willing to fight, Pirates, Outlaws and independent star systems/governments. The Final movie is about building turning these disparate groups into an effective fighting force, and Finn is dead center teaching these people how to fight and win against the FO as he leads them into battle.

11-4D likes this.
  22. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Unless there is a final TV spot push on the way that changes this, it appears that TPTB are going to let audiences going into the film pretty much unaware of the Canto Bight part of the story. Not only unaware of story information and hints, but of visuals as well.

Now there have been theories I've read about why that is. The most pessimistic that has popped up as of late is that the Canto Bight stuff is so disappointing that it has been edited down to almost nothing and thus will not play as large a role as initially intended. I don't agree with this theory largely because too much has been put into the making of that whole segment (expensive on location shooting, expensive set, a slew of new species, DJ's appearance, etc) to let it go to waste. Plus it is pivotal to whatever storyline Finn has, not to mention it is still pushed heavily in the EW coverage as well as in the first BTS video. Too much seems to happen during that part for it to be mostly tossed aside.It also helps that this film will be 2 hours and 30 minutes long which means Rian Johnson did so because he had so much story to tell, not just one storyline.

Also I have a feeling that Cantonica/Canto Bight will give us a bit of an idea what Rian Johnson has in store for the next trilogy when he gives us worlds, species and cultures never seen before in SW. Canto Bight is like an expensive test run considering it is giving us a glimpse of a part of a GFFA society previously unknown. Johnson appeared pretty excited about the whole concept to boot.

So my theory is that it was somehow decided that the Canto Bight stuff would be the one portion of the film not marketed to the general audience. That doesn't mean it is less or more important (more full of secrets) than any other part of the movie. Instead it gives TPTB one segment of the film in which they hope to catch the audience off guard. A kind of surprise gift within the lager gift. I don't necessarily agree with this decision if that was the case, but it is what it is.

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I have been wondering if they cut the Canto Bight stuff from marketing because it looks prequel-esque and Disney doesn’t want to highlight that right now. Other than the theory that it’s been mostly edited out, it’s kind of hard for me wrap my mind around them avoiding marketing a portion of the movie that sounds like its main function is to be space opera eye candy. Eye candy is generally the go-to stuff for marketing.

But as I have said many times, I don’t understand the scenes they chose for their main trailer generally. It was super angsty, very little was inspirational or fun, and freaking books were sold as a dramatic draw. Lol

24. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I look at it like this: If the movie is great, then we have another great star wars movie. If RJ follows the dark timeline and makes a horrible movie that crashes the ST, then we get to watch the internet burn.

25. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    The marketing is all about rey, kylo, luke and leia ( they probably show more leia because Carrie fisher is dead ( sob ). It's like nothing else exist.

Can't wait to see fifty shades of Kylo Ren... LOL

As for Finn , at the end of the movie he will probably choose resistance ( what a surprise! ) and in 9; he'll get another mission as an official resistance member this time. Will he infiltrate the FO for a third time? LOL