main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    To me, that's just identity politics. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but half the U.S. is either poor or in near-poverty. There's much more important things out there than being concerned with the color of one's skin. Again, I'm not attacking you, but I think people get too distracted by something that is pretty marginal in the grand scheme of things.

2. Trevor Eyesacs

Trevor Eyesacs Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2016

Can't remember, but he looked zoned out to me. I felt Rian was taking the P, asking him that question.

Anyway, that's probably why John created his own production company for more creative control!
    Wise decision.

Blastaar likes this.
  3. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    No worries I don't feel attacked. I'm stating a truth. I don't know you personally, so I can't speak for you, but there are a lot of people that would lose their mind if Kylo, Finn, and Poe were female because males notice when they aren't in movies. If Rey, Finn, and Poe (assuming Finn and Poe were women) were portrayed by Vietnamese actresses, there would be a lot of people who aren't Vietnamese that would notice this and feel left out--regardless of how great the movie was.

Blastaar, Blueandwhite and NooThe like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I never saw Finn in TFA as the quote black guy. I saw him as a human character with a great characterization.
    TLJ is a huge upset for him

pupuce likes this.
  5. Darth Djent

Darth Djent Jedi Knight

Oct 6, 2015

I have to completely disagree. Dismissing the concerns of the marginalized because they're "identity politics" is exactly the problem. Representation matters. Context matters. Ignoring Finn being relegated to a red herring turned token side piece while we praise Rey for being a representative and strong (white) female character is ridiculous.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Finn's role was pointless. Real shame.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    That's what gets me the most. He was irrelevant to the story, he's just filler.

I dunno maybe, I'll calm down once I watch for myself tomorrow night.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsUK/status/940645585585164289

Maaannnn they did my boy dirty.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

8. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    From what Ive read the girl gets blatantly told she's nothing at one point and his still yet to respond. As far as I'm concerned the female so called representation these films try to feint under Kennedy's reign are in fact red herrings themselves. For example:

Phasma is not even a character. For two straight movies she's treated as a glorified henchmen if that, more like a Wax figure in her lack of importance to the overall plot, books be damned aside from die hards like us the general audience doesn't know who her.

Even Rey herself seems like a caricature of what was promised, she lacks any sort of goal or direction and the one purpose in her life to discover who her family is, was written off as random rock hoppers who just abandoned her, so she's literally nobody....Our main villain is the only legacy with emotional ties to the previous saga and from my understanding he has to die a horrible death for killing not one, but two heroes of the franchise , but alas who knows where they're going with this now, Ive already seen the Twilight comparisons starting to ramp up everywhere. Rey's goal and purpose in this trilogy is to redeem Kylo , as it stands now, full stop.

But I digress.

Because this is a Finn a thread so let me just say that the reason we all here seem to be so invested in Finn's journey because it seems to carry the most emotional weight behind it despite not having the benefits of the grandiose character moments that YES no matter what people may try to argue from this moment onward seemed to be only saved for the Caucasian force sensitive characters.

MJ-100, Troopa212, afrojedi and 2 others like this.
  9. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    If anything, it just complicated things. They were there to destroy the hyperspace tracker, but they never do it. And then Holdo destroys the Supremacy. It was literally inconsequential to the plot.

10. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    does finn come out of this movie with conviction? like is he personally motivated to defeat the FO or is he just there with the resistance for rose?

11. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    The former, judging by his hail mary suicide attempt on Crait.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  12. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
    Not for rose and it's not really explained so well why he choose to stay to the rebellion. But i think he chose the rebellion because of what he learnt from Rose.

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    He did it all for the nookie.

N7Jedi likes this.
  14. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

LOL rian johnson clearly didn't give two ***** about what happened in the story before he came along. Straight up fan fic style.

people's race are directly tied to their economic state.

15. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

Honestly, what's the point? Finn has been treated with all the dignity and grace of Jar Jar. Having him suddenly turn around to become a legitimate hero in Episode IX would feel incredibly forced at this point. It's almost as if RJ wanted to dead-end Finn's character in a way that he can't be redeemed in future films.

Blastaar, MGM, HugoWanKenobi and 2 others like this.
  16. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    Finn also seemed to be much more naive in the last jedi. In TFA he wasn't .

17. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Finn’s character never made any sense to me. He acted nothing like how I expected a defecting stormtrooper to act who had been trained for it all his life. Being the comic relief a lot of the time seemed very strange to me. The character could have been so compellingly, especially if they had made him force sensitive. The force could have ‘awoken’ him from his conditioning during that first battle in TFA. It’s really too bad because John seems like a great person. It’s truly hard for me to fathom the lack of foresight in casting him for a characater that was portrayed the way he was. I thought Rian would do right by the character but apparently not.

18. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    Phasma defined very well what Finn is in the movie;
    Finn is a bug

19. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    They didn’t care enough about this character to even brainstorm reasons for his breaking conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Can't believe Rian made another janitor joke too... Omg

MJ-100 and afrojedi like this.
  21. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Now it's clear. Finn was a supporting character misdirected into being a lead in TFA; hence, RJ had nothing for the Finn character to do in VIII except be filler or fodder. JB continually attempts to sell Finn as a serious character to be reckoned with in a GFFA, but IX will be too late to rectify it.

Finn is a former janitor... eh, ST, in over his head, getting shocked by would-be LIs, and winning fights with the luck of Jar Jar.

Oh well, onto the Solo movie, I hope Lando won't have to carry Han's bags the entire movie.

22. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    The irony of it all is that Finn is now fully committed to a cause and organization that is in shambles and technically might not even exist anymore.

23. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

As an imperial defector, Bodhi from Rogue One was a much much better character, with a believable behaviour.

24. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I will continue this topic in PM form so we don't derail this thread. I will do the same with Blastaar and Darth Djent. That said, I believe that it's best to choose actors based on merit, not race.

Regardless, I am pretty upset with how Finn has been treated based on what I've read. I'll see how he's handled in the movie for myself though.

25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Tariq Nasheed's gonna be brutal on Boyega. You know it's coming.

afrojedi likes this.