main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm not defended it. But both Finn and Rose were tased on Canto Bight. And Poe was tased by Leia.

Rey......I guess got knocked on the head by Snoke.

Hux became Snoke's and Kylo's punching bag.

Gemlake likes this.
  2. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016

Yeah they got a little of too but u have to look at finn ass a whole he already is on the run from the first order...He get's caught trying to steal the pod....Finn as a character is depicted as a criminal!

3. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    "I want my Jacket back!"

4. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Finn was sort of just....there. His awakening could've been something special, instead it was a dumbass joke. In fact, I notice RJ did that another time when instead of letting a dramatic moment happen, he went with a dumb joke. (luke tossing the saber?) Then we get to see finn wandering around in his draws while bacta squirts about. So right away the audience takes this character completely serious.

T-R- and MJ-100 like this.
  5. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Let's see if Abrams can save Finn from being a complete waste in Episode IX. If we get another 'will or won't he stay and fight' arc in IX, then I'll be very pissed.

jimtalkbox likes this.
  6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

The character isn’t intended to be totally serious.

7. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I think he will, not because JJ is a fan of Finn (looks like no is at LF) but because Finn's storyline got so much backlash. Everyone noticed his plot was useless.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The Canto Bight stuff was picked on, but the Supremacy stuff and Finn's actions on Crait seem to have worked as I haven't heard anyone complain about that.

Looking at the art book, a lot of work was put into Canto Bight and it seems like RJ really wanted that sequence to be amazing. I see James Bond imagery, cat burglars, evil warlords but I also see that he had difficulty pulling it all together. I'd forgotten that this was Rj's first major studio film and though I feel he did a good job overall his inexperience does show in places.

One thing I do have to thank him for is that some of the artists wanted a joke where Finn puts a Tux on backwards, thankfully RJ squashed that.

Looking at RJ's notes in the art book, he approached this film by looking at all the characters and deciding what they needed to learn and be challenged with. I've mentioned previously what he thought about Finn, that he needed to learn to look beyond saving the people in front of him, or killing the enemy and see the larger scoop of things. That was apparently the point of the scene where the police are about to recapture them and Finn takes solace in hurting the city of sin, whereas Rose is happy to have saved a tortured animal. It's why she stopped him from sacrificing himself (Thank you for that, as much as I loved seeing Finn's willingness to die to stop the First Order I'd much rather he live to see their tyranny ended). I think RJ's idea was a good one, since Finn's trooper training likely narrowed his thinking to the immediate problems in front of him and his squad. However Canto Bight was the wrong way to go with it. In all honesty, it does feel like a Star Wars adventure....but it feels like it needed to be it's own thing. Like if Finn and Rose had done something else to get to the Supremacy (I'm not entirely sure what that should've been) and then the film goes on as normal and in the book set between TLJ and Episode IX we have the Canto Bight adventure. Now you have the time to make it work, cause I can see a Story set on Canto Bight where Finn is working with people like the Master Code Breaker to pull a heist to fund the growing Rebellion. However in TLJ, it was a bit of a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

One thing I will admit is that there doesn't really appear to be a long term plan for anyone. Rian Johnson apparently got to decide on his own how Rey's parentage would be handled in this film...and though I ultimately agree with his decision it is a touch surprising that so much creative freedom is being handed to each director/writer team. He's also admitted someone could come along and retcon what he's done, but between the amount of money the film made and the average viewer score (http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wa...c-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/) I think RJ's version of things will stand in the final movie. How they wrangle a satisfactory ending for everyone out of this, I can't say.

Hypatia and cerealbox like this.
  9. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Really what was the bleeping point of putting that lightsaber in Finn's hand in TFA if they were just going to make freaking broom boy a Jedi and not him...

10. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    To inspire a bunch of kids and adults, fill them with excitement then crush their dreams.
    It's Lucy, Charlie Brown and a football. Those looking for something different in IX are going to be disappointed. Rian reset JJ's work so it could be hard for him to re-open doors even if he wanted to.

jimtalkbox likes this.
  11. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
  12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It's the same way with Snoke. It was just a means to an end. That's all.

13. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It's the same way with Snoke. It was just a means to an end. That's all.

14. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    To be fair I'm so pissed with his story I don't think even JJ can save him. His character for me could have been the best in the franchise, leaving the First Order and fighting Kylo with a saber could have been the beginning of his path to becoming a Jedi. To see him being reduced to a shocking subplot, with a horrendous side character in Rose is genuinely sad.

Hypatia and Troopa212 like this.
  15. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
  16. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    The whole videos worth the watch but she gives her thoughts on Finn at 8:06.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

17. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I want...to believe...Finn and Rey...will be active...competent main heroes...in episode IX...both having complementary...skills that play a large...role in defeating evil...together.

Rhyoth likes this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    A think a time skip will help everyone be more competent when Episode IX starts

19. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Yeah but hopefully not too long because I still want it to feel linear. Maybe a few months or a year or so that way they'd have made some progress but are still the same characters I liked from TFA (only more mature and centered).
    I wonder if it'll start with Finn debating whether or not he should leave, and Rey looking unsure and scared the whole time lol

20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Dude!!!! I'm hoping it's a time skip of 5 years at the minimum!

21. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Ok but like what about a scene of Rey and Finn catching up and THEN a timeskip for good measure. Lol.

Also, careful with timeskips in JJ's hands. Episode IX might start with Rey crying on ach-to because she's just so "lost and confused and doesn't know what to do," and Finn could be in cantina #3 debating on whether or not he believes in the resistance XD

Hypatia and jimtalkbox like this.
  22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Well, since this is the third and final film, I'm hoping JJ goes the Luke in RotJ route.

Where all these characters start off after the time skip already in their prime.

The heroes failed a lot in TLJ. And you know what Yoda said about failure.

23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I've said it multiple times. If Episode IX had a scene with Finn and Rey taking on stormtroopers with Rey deflecting shots and Finn hitting all of his, I'd forgive a lot of the mess that happened in TLJ. In RotJ I can appreciate how they showed the team working together against Jabba's men because you really got the sense that everyone could contribute and needed each other. It certainly wasn't Luke taking on everyone and his team looking at him in awe.

I cool scene would be Rey and Finn on the ground ifghting, and then the Falcon (with Chewie piloting and Rose the gunner) giving them support and being their getaways. And Poe would be either flying or commandeering the whole thing. That would be nice imo.

Hypatia and Ren Kylo like this.
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Actually if JJ goes the traditional route, all the main characters were 23 in the last films.

Luke was 23 in RotJ
    Anakin was 23 in RotS

If Rey is 19 now. Then 4 years will pass between TLJ and Episode IX.

Assuming JJ keeps tradition.

sterling3763 likes this.
  25. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Uh-Oh, careful with those Skywalker parallels, man! You trying to attribute Rey to another character or something? She's her own character and she has her own destiny! How dare you try to ruin Rey you monster! I'm

TRIGGEREDDDDDDDDDDDD

26. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    For all of the mixed opinions about how TLJ handled Luke's story, I really feel bad for how they handled Finn in TLJ.

Most of the first 1/2 of the movie, he was the comedic punching bag, then they teamed him up with the flat (but likeable) Rose for a quick little side adventure/lesson on the realities of the nature of war and the societal elite. They even TRIED to give him an honorable, sacrificial death, but couldn't follow through.

I'm surprised that the things he "learned" from DJ/Hacker guy didn't re-affirm his desire to run away and leave the war behind. It was a very confusing plot for Finn. (or at least my interpretation of it)

godisawesome likes this.