main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Also I'd really like to see them have a good amount of time to catch up on everything privately.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really hope they make Finn shine in the next movie. I liked him in this one, but I can never get enough of him.

3. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    What were some things that made you like him in this one? I'm curious. His fight with Phasma was...satisfactory I suppose, and I wish we got more of his dynamic with DJ, but that's about it for me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  4. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Nah I don't really care who's writing about the character, so long as they actually care enough to do him justice and are a competent writer lol.

I don't want Finn totally out of character or made out to be a Gary Stu or anything. I think the issue is simply that through Finn we spent more time focusing on Rose - her motivations and thought processes, rather than what's going with him. The idea of him 'learning what it is to live' is cool and all; but it's hardly even touched on. I think the Finn character as he is in the films now is great; we just need to get into his head a bit more and place him in a setting that's not only benifical to his character growth but is also engaging and entertaining.

I'm a huge lore junky so I'm sure I'll get back into the EU eventually. I think an adult novel centered around our boy would be inticing. No comics or YA crap. I'll probably cave though and see what the story group has to offer, should they publish a one shot series or something.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

5. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I liked Finn's performance vs Phasma more than the duel itself if that makes sense, Rian kinda killed the tension to make Finn's final blow and victory too comedic.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. Despite the noise they make about him being brainwashed, he interacts not only like a normal person but a charismatic and humorous person through the entirety of these films. His emotional composition is completely disconnected from the backstory his character supposedly has. This is as disappointing in it's way as their decision to trumpet him as an elite stormtrooper in the EU and film him as an incompetent ex-janitor in the movies.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It still amazes me at how well an American accent John can pull off.

8. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah I've made peace with the idea of Finn just being an average trooper who's a little too well adjusted. If that's who Finn is fine; now give us a good story.

Though I doubt the story group will want such a glaring contradiction in the new canon and may double down on the 'elite soilder' concept in the EU.

I mean it could still work. The films never really take the time to put Finns military skills on display, aside from Takadona. If there was any a time to do so again, it'd be on the frontlines of the war in episode 9. The fact that all soilders had menial tasks outside of daily training can be made clear in a comic or something.

As far as the brainwashing goes, I'm still of the mind that they'll go "the force shielded him from it" route. The novels do make a point to suggest that Finn's always felt different from the rest of the troopers and hadn't understood why.

He still a little too charasmatic but we may just be overestimating the degree at which the troopers are conditioned to be "killing machines". Though ive seen it made before, Bucky from Civil War may be too extreme of a comparison to make.

The films haven't done the best job of explaining these things but they could be explored in 9 I guess. I think its safe to say TLJ left things wide open for Finn...

9. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I really feel like it's two different people when I listen to his interviews. Wow.

10. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    I think alot of people gain a bit more respect for John as an actor, when they learn that he puts on an accent.

Boyega and Gleeson are underrated if you ask me. Those guys have to add on another layer to their performances which should be commended. I may be in the minority here but I also really like Del Toro's performance as DJ.

Alot of times I felt like I was watching Mark Hamil rather than Luke but with the other guys it's like they're completely different people. Talk about character acting...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Miriedis, BlurryUFOs, MGM and 8 others like this.
  11. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Ironically, there are a lot of people that say Boyega is the worst actor in the ST (I disagree) and Rian Johnson and others say Hamill should be nominated for an Academy award for his performance in TLJ. Go figure.

12. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    Oh yeah, I definitely hear that alot. I'm a big fan of Mark but I've never considered him the best actor. Like Hayden Christensen, I feel like Mark was the result of Lucus casting more so for looks than acting ability. I think the difference between the two was that Mark was given better material to work with.

In that same vein I think that Boyega sometimes suffers from the shi**y humor he's given. People praise John for being funny but when you go back and watch the films, he's at his best during the more serious moments. I think John is a much stronger dramatic actor than comedic.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Rhyoth, Brennan Marshall and modaubr like this.
  13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I agree, but since TFA they are trying to make "Finn faces Phasma" moment into a comedy. You never see Rey facing evil characters in a "funny" scene

[​IMG]

FN-2187 and cerealbox like this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Actually TLJ kind of did. Snoke threw her around the room like a rag doll and bounced her lightsaber off her head. That seemed like it was intended to be comedic to me. I might be interpreting it wrong though, because it's not like RJ's writing spoke to me lol.

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    According to Boyega, the difference in personality compared to his backstory, is why Finn quit the First Order in the first place.

According to him, Finn always had that personality, and that's why he's different enough from the average stormtrooper, to realize what they're doing is evil. (No Force involved)

16. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    You know what? Considering that unlike Finn and Phasma, Snoke and Rey never really had a history together, they didn't really development between them did they?

Like everyone was wondering what would happen in TFA because Snoke was all "bring her to me." And Han told Kylo that Snoke was just using him for his power. So it was kind of implied that Snoke, wanting Luke dead, relied on Kylo to bring Rey (a powerful FS) to him so that eventually he could turn Rey, and then presumably kill Kylo.

But instead when Snoke gets his hands on Rey, he instead wants to keep Kylo, torture Rey for a bit, mind probe her with no problem and finds the location of Luke. Then he throws her around some more when she tries to fight back, and then he tells Kylo to kill her so that they can kill Luke. Oh and he revealed to Rey that he basically just used her as a prop the whole time.

And then he dies. So yeah, I'll admit that's an interesting observation.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  17. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    He said that because he Lucasfilm didn't explain anything to him so he made up his own explanation.

11-4D, Kurenai24, Miriedis and 10 others like this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yep.

Kasdan.

19. GauntGrandMoff

Dec 29, 2016
    They really should have had Finns storyline center around his past as trooper or something. Has anyone heard Rian speak on the Canto Bight stuff? All I've heard from him so far are some statements defending Lukes new powers.

11-4D and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  20. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Boyoga is a great actor. A lot of people get his character arc and acting totally different. If you want to blame his acting for anything, it’s really the direction of the director. I give the director more of the blame than the actor for bad acting because they can always do more takes, etc. that’s why I don’t give Hayden too much blame.

Also loved Mark’s performance and I agree he should get an award, especially if this is it for Luke

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I thought he was underused in this film. I also wish he could have interacted with Rey other than the hug.

22. Brennan Marshall

Brennan Marshall Jedi Knight

May 22, 2015
    John Campea take on TLJ Finn arc

23. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    For those of you who SWEARS Campea hates Finn.

He's on record saying Finn was his favorite new generation character in TFA.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    What? :( you have the link?

25. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Here you go, Jedi Jessy