main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph John Carter (of Mars)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by StarDude, Oct 9, 2007.

1. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    From Comingsoon.net and Dark Horizons:

[image=http://www.frankbrunner.net/commissions/mars.jpg]

Pixar Planning Three Mars Pics
    Source: ERBZine October 9, 2007

ERBZine reports that pre-production is heating up on Disney/Pixar's John Carter of Mars movie, based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi series.

"The Pixar creative team spent Tuesday morning exploring the massive Edgar Rice Burroughs archives in the ERB, Inc. offices on Ventura Blvd. Pixar's Jim Morris (vp), Andrew Stanton (director), Mark Andrews (script) discussed the 'John Carter of Mars' film project with Burroughs representatives, Danton Burroughs, Sandra Galfas and Jim Sullos," says the site.

The site adds, "All six members at the meeting expressed a deep commitment to the project, acknowledging that they had been inspired by Burroughs' creations from a very early age. This is evidenced in the excitement held for the John Carter property and the plans for a film trilogy faithful to the Burroughs books."

The projected release year for the first film is 2012.

The film begins with a Civil War veteran whose retreat into a cave to avoid capture by Apache Indians takes an otherworldly turn as he's transported via time portal to the planet of Barsoom and taken prisoner by 12-foot-tall green men.

Burroughs wrote 11 volumes of Carter's adventures and Disney is hoping the film will launch a franchise.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So, Pixar wants to do a series of animated sc-fi epics? Nice.

EDIT:According to Counting downn.com Kerry Conran is supposed to direct. Good choice IMO.

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Kerry Conran has been off the project. After him it went to Jon Favreau, who is also off now.

These films will be part live action according to Dark Horizons. Which is interesting for Pixar.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Comingsoon states that Andrew Stanton is slated to direct.

Well since Disney and Pixar have merged I would assume that they would tap into Disney's resources for the live action element.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That's intresting. The CGI segments should be topnotch though, so this should be an interesting project.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never read it; is it any good?

7. North_Star

North_Star Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2007
    If Disney/Pixar is considering a trilogy they must really believe in the potential of these stories. I've never read the "John Carter" books but I understand they were among the earliest science-fiction stories and very influential in their day.

Here's an excerpt from the Wiki entry:
    The tales seem somewhat dated today, but they showed great innovation for the time of writing, and the exciting stories caught the interest of many readers, helping to inspire serious interest in Mars and in space exploration.

It would be ironic if an updated Disney/Pixar version helped to further public interest in space exploration, but that's probably just wishful thinking. In any case, we can at least expect another innovative and entertaining project from Pixar.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No, but I like Pixar and this sounds really inventive, maybe even innovative depending on what they do with it.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    To judge by the summaries on the net, a lot of updating will be necessary.

10. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I read one John Carter of Mars book and I couldn't stand him. :p He was egotistical, arrogant and I spent most of the book wanting to knock him off his pedestal. ;) Still it could be good as a pixar story.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The John Carter books were never as good as the Tarzan books by Burroughs. I wish someone would do a faithful relaunch of the Tarzan franchise; none of the films to this point have come anywhere close to really capturing the balls the walls pulp spirit of those books.

The Mars books, I read . . . two or three of. Never really hooked me.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I assume they will be animated. Might be a very good trilogy with Pixar involved.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    All I can ever think of when I hear about this series is ER :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Since I have never watched ER, tell me why...?

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Rumours that Disney are planning a long series.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    John Carter: Disney?s Quarter-Billion-Dollar Movie Fiasco.

It does seem ridiculous that a movie with such a massive budget backed by a strong writer/director's credits (seriously, when did Disney get shy about milking Pixar's films? Why isn't every TV spot opening with "From the Writer & Director of Finding Nemo & WALL*E"?) be given such an utterly lifeless/indifferent marketing campaign.

Apparently advanced screening reaction has been positive-to-very-positive. If that is the case, they it'd be a shame for it to fail due solely to it's marketing campaign.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

So, it's a quarter billion dollar fiasco BEFORE it's released. Honestly, these kinds of hysterical stories (which journalists
    love to write) sure do have the subtext of Hollywood politics...as in a bunch of Disney's competitors are praying it's a
    fiasco and are whispering lots of negative things into a reporter's ears.

Mind you, it may well BE a diaster. But let's see, Jaws was a fiasco, Star Wars was a disaster, Titanic was disaster, please!
    It's the movie biz. Anything can happen. And the public is very fickle. The fact that a film has a troubled production
    period doesn't mean that much. The public doesn't care about that. Only the public has the final vote. When will the media learn that?

18. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    You cant judge from trailers, i know this, but it looks ridicuosly miscast. I love these stories too.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think this is different than those examples, though. Titanic was thought to be a disaster in advance based on cost alone, but people were still excited about the movie- the marketing was never as woefully ineffective as John carter's has been.

It's not about a big tentpole costing too much money- those are a dime a dozen. It's about such a film seemingly being cast to the side as if it were a third-tier release, with such an unfocused marketing campaign.

Star Wars was marketed to the sci-fi crowd, Titanic was sold to the epic drama/action disaster and teen romance demos. Jaws was sold to the horror crowd. And all three made at least those baseline connections to those demos. Who is John Carter marketed to? Because whoever it is, it's not connecting.

It's strange, the John Carter trailers have never made the movie look bad, but neither have they made it look good. I think they committed the trailer sin of people not caring one way or the other which has led to the indifference for the film.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Indifference is a great word to describe the marketing. Now I don't know anything about John Carter, hadn't heard about it or him until I saw the trailer. Now the trailer only made me go o_O and to me it looks like 10 000 BC, but it seems to be in space. And why is he on another planet? Simply put I don't have any interest in spending money on this.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The marketing's lackluster and the - Hmm, I'm going with abomination - abomination of a title (Random people on the street are going to think this is some kind of niche indie drama) is going to result in some really heavy losses barring a word of mouth miracle. $250 million is literally a Waterworld if you adjust for inflation.:oops:

22. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    While I liked Finding Nemo quite a lot, I'm of the camp who think WALL·E's Pixar's weakest, most obnoxious effort to date, and the trailers really haven't sold me on John Carter. I just hope it does well because I want to hear Michael Giacchino's scores for the sequels. :p

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    John Carter of Mars is classic sci fi pulp from the dawn of sci fi pulp. I couldn't believe it when Disney reduced the title to "John Carter." It's like trying to market "Prince of Persia" with a poster showing only Jake Gyllenhall and a release date. Oh, wait.

But in any case Disney has never understood the first thing about science fiction. This is just another "Black Hole" for a new generation of moviegoers to stay away from en masse. There's no level of spending on state-of-the-art effects that can't be utterly sabotaged by a strategically-placed googly-eyed robot. You just know that John Carter is crawling with googly-eyed robots even if they are hidden from view in the trailers.

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    . . .and reducing the title to Prince.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Technically it'd be like reducing the title to Dastan.