main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

John "Superman" Williams

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by darthpup, Nov 15, 2011.

1. darthpup

darthpup Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2006
    Hola all

We all know that John Williams is .... SUPER (Know it doesn't need to be said, but am going for a poor joke).

Most of his music IS part of the movies the are in. Just listen to a few seconds of the scores from Star Wars, E.T., Indiana Jones, Jaws, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and you know that it is from that movie and its a piece of JW work. The same can be said for Superman.

I was watching Smallville 'Rosetta' (the 1st one with Christopher Reeve) and there is 2 or 3 seconds from the Superman Score. I thinking how many times in smallville the did this, having a few seconds of the score reminds people of the movies and what Clark will become. The score is iconic as Superman himself.

So the reason for the post. 2 questions.
    the main 1. Should the new superman - Man of Steel have a John William-esc soundtrack or a totally new soundtrack?

and 2. does the movie music matter? (keep this one to a yes/no answer)

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Totally new. I would prefer a good score, but this is a completely new approach to Superman. It's not a remake, it's not a sequel, and it would be inappropriate I think to reprise or even particularly allude to Williams' music.

As for question #2. Yes. Music matters. Kind of a bizarre question.

3. dolphin

dolphin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'd prefer a new score with nods to the original interspersed throughout.

4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    As for as I'm concerned, no Williams theme = not Superman. Yes, Superman existed before Williams composed the theme, but the music so perfectly captured his character that it's impossible to accept any substitute. Unless they're going for a dark, not so heroic Superman, but that wouldn't even be the same character.