O.C, CA John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl 8/29 and 8/30

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by LordJedi, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    John Williams will be at the Hollywood Bowl this August, the 29th and 30th at 8:30pm. Tickets start at $3 (nose blead section) and go up to $33 (everything else closer is sold out). It doesn't really matter how close you sit though, the music is great no matter where you are.

We should definitely try to go to this. I'm sure he'll play something from Harry Potter, AOTC, and any other movies he's done the music for in the past year. And his encores are almost always the Star Wars main theme and the Indiana Jones theme.

I think his concert a couple of years ago was the best. Some guy toward the end just yelled out "YOU ROCK!" He turned and nodded toward the guy with a thank you. Then, just as he started to play the Indiana Jones theme, a girl was like "Oh my god, please play Indiana Jones!" She nearly started to cry as he started playing it, turned to her, put his finger to his lips, and continued playing. Ah, that was a great night.

Anyway, check out the Hollywood Bowl's website for details.

This is definitely something we should try to work out with LAFF and possibly SDFF.
  2. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    This WILL be on our list of things to do!
  3. BobaFett-MP Jedi Master

star 4
    I would love to go to this! Let me know what you plan, I think I'll go with you all!
  4. Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nose bleed area only $3 -- we could bring a beach ball painted like the Death Star? :p
    This would be awesome for our group to go 'en masse'!!!

Peace,
    Jim
  5. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I think this is the concert Jane was trying to get tickets for. I would love to go. Let me know what section everyone is getting them in, etc. Are we all buying them together?
  6. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Buying them together would be our best bet if we want to sit together. I'd prefer to go to the saturday show, but I could do the friday show if that's what everyone else wants to do.
  7. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I am thinking about going both nights. I'd like to get somewhat decent tickets for one night and then get the cheap tickets the next. I think the idea of the $3 tickets would be fun for the group, then we know we could get enough tickets to all sit together...What does everyone else think?
  8. BobaFett-MP Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in, (although I'd prefer not to have a nose bleed ;)
  9. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    You can count me in. The cheaper seats the better. Unless there is a mosh pit, I don't need to sit up front.
  10. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi guys;

you can count me, lu and renee in on this. i was really sore that i missed the last one. lets definately try and do a group thing.
    SRB are you with us on this? do we do it in costume? whats everyones thoughts? do we wait for the next meeting? i think we need to organize and get tickets soon. last time i waited they were sold out.
  11. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thanks for the heads-up LordJedi! I will go ahead and post this info on the San Diego forum. I am definitely interested in joining you for this event. I have been meaning to get up to the Hollywood bowl to hear John Williams play for several years now.
  12. Theatrix Jedi Knight

star 1
    JW is a great show. We take our boys everytime he comes to conduct. The $10 bench seats are a pretty good deal.

One of these days we are going to splurge and get some fancy seats a bit closer. The So Cal Garrison of the 501st have gone a number of times to the concert, including a few times in Jedi Robes (armor is a bit much) with sabers.

Theatrix
    aka (Tim 501st LXO)
  13. jedilona Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd love to go..
    I keep missing him.
    But it looks like I'll miss him again this year..I'll be in Atlanta that weekend(Dragoncon)
  14. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Don brought up to me that we should get as many people as possible to go from all the different groups (not just fan force) and perhaps dress up?

Maybe we could buy a huge batch of the $3 tickets and meet somewhere ahead of time?

Costumes in the nosebleed section to liven things up? Could be fun.

(I was bummed at first because I can't find my Leia robe but then I got an awesome idea....I WILL be there, in A costume...no details though...) ;)
  15. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    There is a park and ride in Pasadena by a friend of mines house that goes to the bowl. Tickets for that are $2.50 each way. This is a total bargain if you've ever tried to drive there and park yourself. It is so much easier to get on a bus and get driven right to the entrance. We could meet there and just get on 1 or 2 buses (depending on how many people go).

You can buy the tickets at any ticketmaster outlet, but then they charge service fees too. You can also buy tickets at the park and ride location, but you have to wait in line to get on the bus.

I don't know how easy it will be to dress up. They search bags at the entrance now. I don't know how hard or easy it would be to convince security that "it's a toy lightsaber, it doesn't cut anything". I probably won't dress up anyway, but if I can, I'll bring a lightsaber.
  16. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Not everyone has a jedi costume and lightsaber and we could still dress up without weapons if we needed to....
  17. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    a jedi is never seperated from his weapon. a famous jedi master once said to his padawan "this weapon is your life"

dressed as a jedi i would feel naked with a lightsaber.

i agree some of us dont have jedi costumes, although that can be remedied. the concert is not until the end of august.
  18. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I'm with you and I will wear my costume as well. Also I am going to talk with our Jeff about getting the rest of the Socal Rebel Legion there also.
  19. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I would much rather go with nicer seats. Maybe we could go in two groups? Anyways, i'd really like to do this, although there is no way I'll go in costume :p
  20. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    "Nicer seats" is a debateable term. Most anything we'd be able to get would be bench seats, the only difference being how close we are. You'll probably need binoculars to see Mr. Williams no matter where we sit.

The good news is that the bowl has such an awesome sound system that it sounds great no matter where you sit.
  21. rogue_rebel Jedi Padawan

I've been to every Hollywood Bowl Williams concert since 1993. He always puts on one hell of a show. He was absent from the summer Bowl schedule last year, so I'm glad he's back this summer! I am definitely interested in a group outing with you all, preferably for the Saturday 8/30 show.
  22. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Tracy-- I want to go to both shows and I was planning on getting the cheapest seats when we do the group/dress up thing for the one day....and for the other day, NOT dressing up, and getting the best seats left for that day. Maybe we could go together the one day?

As a group, what day was everyone thinking for the "cheap seats" thing?
  23. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi guys;

so far the saturday seems the be the best night. the cheap seats seem to be a good idea..there are several prices for seats. $3 being the cheapest. we need to decide if that is what we want to pay or can we afford a little more for better seats. i personally cant affort the $43 seats. i have contacted the rebel legion, the jedi knights and the grey jedi to see if they would like to join us. this might be a good way to firm up relations with other groups. later this might be benificial to other events etc. i think we should try to go in costume. if anyone doesnt have one, perhaps we could get together and help them get it. for those who prefer not to go in costume, maybe they can wear our OC fan force t-shirts.
  24. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    I haven't been to the HB in a really long time so I don't remember how the accoustics are. Are seats in the middle much better than the sides?

If that is the case, there are W bench seats in the middle for $6.
    S,T, and R are also in the middle and in the next section up for $12. (S section looks to be the most centered).
    N & M are in the middle of section up from ST&R for $20 and L & P on the sides are $18.
    Everything else is over $20, and I'm sure that's out of everyone's price range.

I'm totally willing to pay up to $35 for tickets.

If we're going to go with the cheapy tickets and if the central location makes for better sound, it might make more sense to go for the $6 tickets in the middle of the nosebleed section than the sidelines of the nosebleed section.

Just a suggestion :D

EDIT: If you use the seatfinder, it shows you a picture of the view from the seat. It also tells you the amount of feet the seat is away from the stage. Very neat!
    If this doesn't work go to the HB webpage and go to the seating chart section
  25. darth_avery Jedi Master

star 3
    i'm might be able to go....i don't know what my summer soccer schedule is like yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.