main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams' Greatest Hits: 1969-1999

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Feb 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'm not a big fan of 'greatest hits' packages, either with film scores or pop/rock music (I prefer full soundtracks and full albums). But with 28 of the classic JW themes on two discs, "Greatest Hits 1969-1999" sounded too good to pass up. I've heard this compilation many, many times since I got it in late '99 and it's always good for that quick JW fix.

So, does anyone else have this 2-CD compilation?

2. The Obi-Wan and Only

The Obi-Wan and Only Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    No, but I've listened to it before. I enjoyed it very much especially the Jurassic Park theme.

3. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I love the two main JP themes, but I prefer the versions included in the Jurassic Park soundtrack. The version in "Greatest Hits" sounded like if the orchestra was in a slight hurry. It's still a very enjoyable track, though.

4. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    Too slow, huh? Ever notice on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade sndtrck that Belly of the Steel Beast is slower than on the movie?

5. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I like this CD set a lot. It has some of the best themes he's done which I most likely wouldn't buy. And the strange thing is, though the first CD has more of his most famous themes, I often find myself listening to CD 2 more.

6. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Darn, I should have bought this yesterday when I was in Sioux Falls! I can't believe i didn't think of it! :(

7. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "Ever notice on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade sndtrck that Belly of the Steel Beast is slower than on the movie?"

No, I didn't notice that. But "Belly of the Steel Beast" is an excellent track nonetheless.

"And the strange thing is, though the first CD has more of his most famous themes, I often find myself listening to CD 2 more."

Same here. I often put disc 2 on just to listen to the Born on the Fourth of July theme. It's a very sad, yet uplifting track. The only reason why I haven't bought the soundtrack to the film yet is because it has too many songs, but not enough score.

8. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Another thread on this great CD popped up, so I thought I'd bring this up.

9. Maru-Ba

Maru-Ba Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, I have this CD and I love it. it gives the best of all JW's work.

10. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    Yeah, I got this CD. Excellent selection of some of William's finest scores and its refreshing to hear the other work he has done, apart from Star Wars. Disappointing that there was no track from Nixon, which is one of my favourite Williams' scores :(

11. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    I had purchased it back in October and I still listen to it. It is a great CD, and has a great collection of his finest music.

12. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I've had the disc for over a year now, and I NEVER get tired of listening to it. Hmmmm. I might put it on right now! :)

LAST CRUSADE BIKE CHASE! Yeah, baby!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.