main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams has been nominated for an Oscar again

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Feb 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The Oscar nominations have been announced, and these are the nominees for Best Music (Score):

Chocolat (Rachel Portman)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Tan Dun)
    Malena (Ennio Morricone)
    Gladiator (Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard)
    The Patriot (John Williams)

I'm glad that The Patriot got nominated. Due to the whole controversy regarding the film when it was released, the score was ignored severely. Now that the film has been released on video, it seems that both the film and the score have been getting more attention. I don't expect it to win (CTHD or Gladiator will probably get the Award), but it's still nice that it received a nom.

For all the other nominations, go here:

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/nominees_home.html

2. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Good to see Williams nominated. Although I share your sentiment that Gladiator will probably win.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Did you guys know that this is his 39th Oscar nomination?

I read that on the official Oscar Website moments ago. He has more nomination than any other living person.

One more piece of proof that he is a god!!!

4. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    25 more to catch the all time leader! :)

I'm quite glad of The Patriot's two nods, score and cinematography, both deserving.

5. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    It was nominated for Sound, too, also well deserved.

6. FiendishJedi

FiendishJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    Go John! He is da man!

7. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    Yes, I forgot about that. But I won't try to pretend I'm an expert on those technical aspects. In fact, my closest category in my technical prediction thread is the score department. 4 out of 5, the only category with respectibility. :)

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm sorry, I don't count Walt Disney as being nominated that many times. Any Disney film nomination is credited to him? That just doesn't work! Speilberg doesn't get credited for any Oscar to do with Amblin. It shouldn't work for Disney either. As an individual person themselves, JW must have been nominated more than any other

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Williams won't win this one. Patriot was very good, but some of those others are better. Then again, Titanic won best picture, so who knows...

10. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    No, not every Disney film is credited to him. He is the producer, it's different from being the studio head. If Back to the Future ever won best picture, than you would see Spielberg go and get his Oscar. Say what you want, Disney was nominated for 60 plus times.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, point conceded

HOWEVER, I still believe that as far as INDIVIDUALS go, JW has deservedly been nominated more than anyone else.

Anyway, why should best film be credited to the producer? If the producer is to get an Oscar, there should be one for best producer

12. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    That's essentially what best picture is for--best production. In fact, when the Academy Awards begin, it was in fact called best production. Some people today would fight to get that title back, since best picture is really quite an ignorant statement. Ever best picture winner has the producers going up to the podium, look close this year. They are the ones who give the speech, and often they will pull the director up as well. But ultimately, the Oscar goes to the producer.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, and how many of WDs nominations were given posthumously? Surely this can't count!

Anyway, being pedantic, surely the word "production" in the phrase "best production" is referring to the film as a whole. When you refer to Broadway shows, you say "That was a good production" which refers to the show as a whole, not just the producer. the word "productions" is not synonymous with "producer" even though they have the same stem. A "production" definitely refers to the show/film as a whole.

14. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    Only one, and you know what, Disney was the producer when the movie was being made. He didn't recieve anything that he didn't do.

That's a very good point, and hopefully most people have that in mind. (the arrogance displayed by some surely tells us the contrary) But since someone has to get the award, the producer is the closes guy to accept for a whole picture.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Shouldn't the film company get the award? I don't agree that one person should get the award for best film. That makes no sense.

Anyway, back to my original point, out of the Oscars that are awarded to people, and not films, hasn't JW got the most nominations?

16. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    It all goes back to your definition of producer I suppose. Just watch the ceremony this year, you'll see the producers rising in the air while most of us have no idea who they are.

If you want to exclude them, I'm pretty sure Williams is the one with the most nominations. I think Dennis Muren has the most actual winnings.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It's nothing to do with my definition of producer. I've produced several theatre productions, and I know the work involved. my gripe is that best "film" or best "production" is NOT an award for the producer. It is an award to everyone involved. I agree that the producer may be the best person to collect the award, but the award should not be credited to him/her

Edited for typos

18. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    I don't disagree with that at all. Any film or production is a collective effort, and it is indeed unfair to claim one person as the sole winner, but that's how it has been in the awards season. Before the auter theory fully shined through, the producers were probably the biggest names in Hollywood. The biggest ******** in Hollywood are probably all producers as well. The attitude of "I'm the king of the world" is a denial to everyone who was in the production, but I stress again, that's how it is, unfortantly.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Thank you for your insight and intellegent conversation, Bright Sith. You are a wise man.

20. bright sith

Aug 27, 1999
    As you are, too. This should be easy for SOTS to pull this back on track again. :)

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I must admit, it's nice to see an intellent debate and discussion between two people without it degenerating into a slanging match. I look forward to more.

I am also adding you to my watched users list :)

22. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    IMHO, I am a "Pariot" freak, which means I'll be cheering for all it's nominations. Gladiator was great but I really would like John Williams to win it this time.

Emmerich and Devlin have only won one Oscar for one of their films and that was for the Visual Effects for "Independence Day", even David Arnold didn't get a nomination for that.

It would be really nice for me to see one of their scores be nominated or better yet win it this time around.

But it's a big shame that it didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it was unfortunately under rated.

23. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I hope he wins this year. JW rocks!

24. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "This should be easy for SOTS to pull this back on track again. :)"

Looks like it's back on track already. And I didn't have to do anything! :)

25. XV426

XV426 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    >But it's a big shame that it didn't get nominated for Best Picture, it was unfortunately under rated

Perhaps it's because it turned the English into Nazis and its ultra PC approach to slavery was insulting? Nah...

I certainly think the Zimmer/Gerrard score blows everything else away, that's for sure. And aside from 'Duel Of The Fates', Williams' score for TMP was totally uninspired. One of his worst. If anything, I can't believe he doesn't get more praise for his outstanding score for Angela's Ashes. One of his best ever and it totally wipes the floor with TMP.

But when all is said and done, any self-respecting movie lover shuns the 'Academy Awards'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.