main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams has been nominated for an Oscar again

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Feb 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    He did get more praise for AA. It was nominated for an Oscar!

2. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    It didn't show the British as Nazis, watch it again.

It showed one particular guy as a Nazi kind of guy.

3. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    From that first post, I thought I saw John Williams nominated for TPM, and NATALIE Portman noted for Chocolat !!

4. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    From that first post, At first I thought I saw John Williams nominated for TPM, and NATALIE Portman noted for Chocolat !! Heheheheh......Goes to show that you've been following that Amidala/Leia thread for too long in that other board

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I have to agree with jamesdrax. Tavington was the only British character portrayed as truly evil. The rest were just fighting the war.

6. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    As most of you know by now, John Williams' score to The Patriot lost to Tan Dun's score for 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. I was actually surprised that the Oscar went to Dun, because everyone said that Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard's 'Gladiator' score was a lock. For a list of all the Oscar winners, go here:
    http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/winners.html

Another interesting JW-related part of the Oscars was when Wiliams collaborators Itzhak Perlman (violin soloist for 'Schindler's List') and Yo Yo Ma (cello soloist for 'Seven Years in Tibet') performed excerpts from the five nominated scores. It was a beautiful performance, and a surprising one, since it's rare that the academy gives the same attention to performances of scores as they do with performances of songs.

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    TPM should of won the Oscar. What the hell is The Red Violin? Yeah, I'm sure that was better than Duel of the Fates :)

8. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    It had to be nominated first. Williams *was* nominated that year for Angela's Ashes, which was also a great score.

9. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    I actually thought that the score to "Angela's Ashes" was **better** than TPM.

No offence.

:D

10. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I loved the score to Angela's Ashes, but The Phantom Menace is still my favorite JW score of '99.

11. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, but can you stage a mock duel to the music from Angela's Ashes?
    Nah, thought not :)

12. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    No, but I rather like emotional scores than action scores, which there was not much in TPM other than Anakin leaving his mother, so "Angela's Ashes" had more impact on my senses.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.