John Williams' "Home Alone" score... Holiday classic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Every year I break out the score for "Home Alone" and listen to it as part of my Christmas music rotation. I am struck again each year by how utterly fantastic this score truly is. I think I might seriously place it in the top 15 Williams' scores ever. It's just bloody fantastic. It has a bit of Harry Potter in there mixed with some Hook and even a little E.T. it is definately worth owning if you like any of those scores.

John came up with two absolutely top notch main themes that are classic Williams. These are of course woven throughout the score, which has a quite surprising variety to it. I highly recommend it. Anyone else have this score? Thoughts?
  2. Well_Of_Souls Force Ghost

star 5
    I enjoy Home Alone as well as its sequel score. The main title is great, playful and mischievous. I also love the "Russian Dance"-inspired Holday Flight music. I'm not such a fan of Somewhere In My Memory, however. It's far too sugary sweet and dull for my tastes.

The bandits' theme is great though.
  3. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I wholeheartedly agree. This was one of the first soundtracks that I ever picked up. I've only had it about 3 years, but each year around this time, I too start to listen to it. It really sets me in the "Christmas mood". I think Somewhere in My Memory is a great piece, but "Star of Bethlehem" is truly the standout piece of this score.

It remains one of my favorite John Williams soundtracks to this day and definitely the best Christmas score out there.
  4. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I really liked it too,my favorite momments are when Kevin is preparing the traps,dang I wish I remember what it was properly called
  5. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    'Setting the Trap'

And the Bandits' theme is hilarious, this being one of few Williams comedy scores.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wow! I am glad there are a few people out there who agree!
  7. mikadojedi Force Ghost

star 4
    My favorite part is the music that plays when Kevin runs from the Church to the House. I don't own the soundtrack. But that is my favorite bit, musically, from the film.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's been years since I saw the film.... but that's "Setting the Trap" right? I love that track! :)
  9. pahket Jedi Master

star 4
    Ha! The bandits theme is a personal favorite; it's always a joy to hear some contrabass clarinet on a Williams album. I also greatly enjoy the Attack on the House, so tastefully spotted and humorously orchestrated. Mom Returns made me well up; the chords used when we're not sure Kevin's even going to talk to her are just heartbreaking. And lastly, even though it's a very short cue, the orchestration for the beginning of We Wish You a Merry Christmas/End Titles is gorgeous - underneath the choir the woodwinds have some incredibly pastoral and beautiful runs.

This is definitely one of JW's best works. Holiday Classic? Pshaw.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So you don't think it's a classic?
  11. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe he meant it was far more than a Holiday Classic?:D
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That I would agree with... [face_dancing]
  13. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Force Ghost

star 5
    whenever I hear the music, I see the house......
  14. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I got teary-eyed watching the ending of this film a year ago (e.g. at 15 years old). It's not even a good film. I guess that music really worked for it!
  15. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I only have one track of this soundtrack, unfortunately, but I've seen the movie many many times. It's a holiday favorite at my house. The music in this movie is fantastic... and is fantastic at making you feel with the character. :)
  16. MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head

star 6
    Yes, Home Alone's score was excellent. I haven't seen the movie in quite some time though.
  17. Paradise in Naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Strilo, I've been doing the same thing as you: Ever since I bought the soundtrack in 2002, not a single Christmas has gone by without another listen to this soundtrack. Every single time, "Star of Bethlehem" has made me cry. It is one of my all-time favorite Williams cues.

The rest of the score is wonderful, as well. "Setting the Trap" is a very exciting cue and "Somewhere in my Memory" perfectly captures the happy side of the holidays. Even the non-JW Christmas songs are given terrific arrangements by Williams. A true classic.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It really is a fantastic Williams score.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well it's that time of year. I broke out my Home Alone mp4s and put them into my morning rotation of mellow music. Once again I am struck by how great this score is.
  20. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6
    I agree that the score is an absolute classic by John Williams. The movie's not bad either. I watch it every year too.
  21. Well_Of_Souls Force Ghost

star 5
    As good as the two scores are, I find it hard to listen to either Home Alone album unless it's around the holidays.
  22. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I agree. It's totally Christmas music for me...
  23. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I'll probably pull them out the day after Thanksgiving. That's when I really start to feel like I'm in the "holiday" mood.
  24. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I totally agree, I love this score. Definitely great Christmas music. "Setting the Trap" is a great piece. I love what he did with the "Carol of the Bells", which is my favorite Christmas song. Who would have thought such a silly movie would have such great music. I remember seeing it in the theatre when I was a kid, I've never laughed so hard in my life.
  25. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm actually enjoying Varese's release to Home Alone 2 a lot more than the first one. This is one of my favorite Williams comedy scores.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.