main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams' "Home Alone" score... Holiday classic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Every year I break out the score for "Home Alone" and listen to it as part of my Christmas music rotation. I am struck again each year by how utterly fantastic this score truly is. I think I might seriously place it in the top 15 Williams' scores ever. It's just bloody fantastic. It has a bit of Harry Potter in there mixed with some Hook and even a little E.T. it is definately worth owning if you like any of those scores.

John came up with two absolutely top notch main themes that are classic Williams. These are of course woven throughout the score, which has a quite surprising variety to it. I highly recommend it. Anyone else have this score? Thoughts?

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I enjoy Home Alone as well as its sequel score. The main title is great, playful and mischievous. I also love the "Russian Dance"-inspired Holday Flight music. I'm not such a fan of Somewhere In My Memory, however. It's far too sugary sweet and dull for my tastes.

The bandits' theme is great though.

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I wholeheartedly agree. This was one of the first soundtracks that I ever picked up. I've only had it about 3 years, but each year around this time, I too start to listen to it. It really sets me in the "Christmas mood". I think Somewhere in My Memory is a great piece, but "Star of Bethlehem" is truly the standout piece of this score.

It remains one of my favorite John Williams soundtracks to this day and definitely the best Christmas score out there.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I really liked it too,my favorite momments are when Kevin is preparing the traps,dang I wish I remember what it was properly called

5. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    'Setting the Trap'

And the Bandits' theme is hilarious, this being one of few Williams comedy scores.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow! I am glad there are a few people out there who agree!

7. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    My favorite part is the music that plays when Kevin runs from the Church to the House. I don't own the soundtrack. But that is my favorite bit, musically, from the film.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's been years since I saw the film.... but that's "Setting the Trap" right? I love that track! :)

9. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Ha! The bandits theme is a personal favorite; it's always a joy to hear some contrabass clarinet on a Williams album. I also greatly enjoy the Attack on the House, so tastefully spotted and humorously orchestrated. Mom Returns made me well up; the chords used when we're not sure Kevin's even going to talk to her are just heartbreaking. And lastly, even though it's a very short cue, the orchestration for the beginning of We Wish You a Merry Christmas/End Titles is gorgeous - underneath the choir the woodwinds have some incredibly pastoral and beautiful runs.

This is definitely one of JW's best works. Holiday Classic? Pshaw.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So you don't think it's a classic?

11. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Maybe he meant it was far more than a Holiday Classic?:D

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That I would agree with... [face_dancing]

13. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    whenever I hear the music, I see the house......

14. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I got teary-eyed watching the ending of this film a year ago (e.g. at 15 years old). It's not even a good film. I guess that music really worked for it!

15. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I only have one track of this soundtrack, unfortunately, but I've seen the movie many many times. It's a holiday favorite at my house. The music in this movie is fantastic... and is fantastic at making you feel with the character. :)

16. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Yes, Home Alone's score was excellent. I haven't seen the movie in quite some time though.

17. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Strilo, I've been doing the same thing as you: Ever since I bought the soundtrack in 2002, not a single Christmas has gone by without another listen to this soundtrack. Every single time, "Star of Bethlehem" has made me cry. It is one of my all-time favorite Williams cues.

The rest of the score is wonderful, as well. "Setting the Trap" is a very exciting cue and "Somewhere in my Memory" perfectly captures the happy side of the holidays. Even the non-JW Christmas songs are given terrific arrangements by Williams. A true classic.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It really is a fantastic Williams score.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well it's that time of year. I broke out my Home Alone mp4s and put them into my morning rotation of mellow music. Once again I am struck by how great this score is.

20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I agree that the score is an absolute classic by John Williams. The movie's not bad either. I watch it every year too.

21. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    As good as the two scores are, I find it hard to listen to either Home Alone album unless it's around the holidays.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree. It's totally Christmas music for me...

23. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I'll probably pull them out the day after Thanksgiving. That's when I really start to feel like I'm in the "holiday" mood.

24. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I totally agree, I love this score. Definitely great Christmas music. "Setting the Trap" is a great piece. I love what he did with the "Carol of the Bells", which is my favorite Christmas song. Who would have thought such a silly movie would have such great music. I remember seeing it in the theatre when I was a kid, I've never laughed so hard in my life.

25. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm actually enjoying Varese's release to Home Alone 2 a lot more than the first one. This is one of my favorite Williams comedy scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.