main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams May Score The Live Action Series - Good News For The Show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Oct 30, 2007.

?

John Williams May Score The Live Action Series - Good News For The Show?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. I can't wait to hear new Star Wars music by John Williams

92.6%
  2. John Williams should stick to the movies. Lets have new music and a new composer

2.5%
  3. I'm not bothered. Whoever does the score, I'm sure it'll be great.

4.1%
  4. I'd rather the live action show didn't have any/minimal music

0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So, with shock news from the Rickmiester that he and George are hoping John Williams will come back to score the live action series, its time for SSSW's first poll.

If this goes down well, I will be posting more polls over the next few weeks and months.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm really hoping that John Williams goes along with it because the music of Star Wars is a huge part of the character of it.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Agreed. I never really thought he'd do the TV series though, and I always suspected they would either bring in a new composer (which I guess they might) Or they would use old music and keep it to an absolute minimum.

But new JW SW music - Man, just the possibility is exciting to me. :D

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh me too, though I'm still doubtful that he'll do a TV series. I don't think he did the music for Young Indiana Jones but apparently he composed the theme to the short lived TV show "Jack & Bobby."

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It's John Williams! Heck yeah I'd be excited for that.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well Rick's said he's hoping they can get him. So, no promise's. But the fact he's even being mentioned is a good sign, IMO.

7. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Exactly what I was about to say!

The sad thing is though, I doubt he will do it. Mr. Williams is getting up there, and although he still keeps busy, he does not score nearly as many films as he used to. I think I recall hearing that he did say he was going to purposely wind down on the amount of work he takes on.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It'll be nice to hear some John Williams, but I don't think it's necessary to have his involvement.

There's enough of his music across the 6 films they can re-use, and I'm sure someone could imitate the master by now.

If he wants to be involved, there's no one better though.

9. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I can't wait to hear new Star Wars music by John Williams :D it should be awesome if he's involved for sure :)

10. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I don't think John will be doing it. TV soundtracks are extremely demanding, assuming you don't resort to using the same music piece played different ways. Hopefully John will have a say in who they get to do it though. I know that the guy who scored JP/// did it because John didn't have time to do it, but recommended that they hire him. Maybe he'll participate in the themes for some of the main characters because it would be a shame if he didn't contribute to it. He's the unsung hero of SW.

11. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    It never occoured to me Williams wouldn't do it. Or at least them using Williams older stuff for thew saga. Seriously, what's SW without that iconic music?

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    If John Williams wants to score this TV show, then that would be fantastic. The musical touch he added to Star Wars in the prequels was just awesome, so new Star Wars scores would simply be all that: awesome.

So the first option:

I can't wait to hear new Star Wars music by John Williams

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    He will write music for the series...not for episodes...which means he'll probably create 2 or 3 themes that they can rehash over the course of a season...as far as generic background music...they'll tap one of the young guys they've used for other stuff.

I doubt they'll have an original theme for opening credits...but if they do...expect that to be all Williams.

At this stage, John's impact is minimal...as we saw from the Prequels...even he was pretty much mimicking himself with much of the material...every fan and every musician "knows" what Star Wars "sounds like"...so variations on that sound are fairly easy now...look at stuff we've gotten for games and such over time...it's great stuff, certainly inspired by the film score...but not all Williams.

14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    How can this not be good news?[face_dancing]

Of course, one has to be patient and see whether this will happen or not.

15. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Just a note- anyone who doesn't want more John Williams SW music will be banned to the crypt. ;)

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Agreed![face_mischief]

17. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I find I can't not be excited about John Williams + Star Wars.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    You know what, by the end of this month I'll be able to see if John Williams' music is actually worth getting excited over, hmph.

( :p)

[face_dancing]

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    BE WARNED...I have been present for some outright abortions of William's compositions carried out by critically lauded conductors and symphonies...a dead giveaway will be if they have movie characters wandering the lobby and playacting on stage...trying to draw your eyes away from fumbling incompetence in the orchestra...make no judgments about his worth based on a mimicry of others.

20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Don't worry. I was there when he performed Play! A Video Game Symphony. He does have worth. ;)

21. darthpup

darthpup Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2006
    it sounds good that JW could score the TV series

22. SithLord_Danny

SithLord_Danny Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2007
    John Williams is a genious and any involvement he has in the score is certainly good news for the live action series but he's already scored all six of the Star Wars movies and I don't think it he should score everything that has to do with SW music.

Personally, I think he should have a long deserved break and have someone new step up to the plate.
    Jeremy Soule and Mark Griskey, both who scored the KOTOR games were fantastic and have created memorable themes worthy of SW music. Another option would be to hire composers who have experience in scoring for TV shows like Cristophe Beck or Joel McNeely who scored Shadows Of the Empire and the Young Indiana Jones series.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks for offering a slightly differant view. :) I also agree that there is an arguement for saying that after doing six movies, JW may be kinda Star Warsed out and a new composer could take the series in a differant, fresh direction.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As much as I'd love to see Joel McNeely return to SW music (as I absolutely love his Shadows of the Empire score- I want a standalone piece of Dash Rendar's theme, dammit- that brief use at the end of the Beggar's Canyon Chase was not enough for that great fanfare), it seems like Williams was hitting an amazing stride in the prequel films, but was limited by the editing/filming structures as well as the sheer amount of content Lucas crammed into ROTS, to the point where many great pieces and themes only received limited exposure, and never got a chance to really come fully into their own (arrival of General Grievous on Utapau, for example). I'd love to see hwo he could evelop alot of that material more fully when given 100 hours of film as a canvas to work against.

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Now when you ut it like that, it sounds really very exciting indeed.[face_cowboy]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.