main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

John Williams May Score The Live Action Series - Good News For The Show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Oct 30, 2007.

?

John Williams May Score The Live Action Series - Good News For The Show?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. I can't wait to hear new Star Wars music by John Williams

92.6%
  2. John Williams should stick to the movies. Lets have new music and a new composer

2.5%
  3. I'm not bothered. Whoever does the score, I'm sure it'll be great.

4.1%
  4. I'd rather the live action show didn't have any/minimal music

0.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I do hope Williams - or whoever ends up scoring the show - does not recycle too much movie music. I mean, we definitely need the familiar themes, but I do not want them to be overused. I am a huge fan of Williams' Prequel scores - "Duel of the Fates", "Across the Stars," and "Battle of the Heroes" are three of my favorite works that he has ever done. I do not want their power to be diminished by being used in every episode. Songs like the Imperial March should be used a lot- this show will feature a strong Imperial presence. I just hope they refrain from themes with more personal connections to characters and scenes from the films.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Duel of the Fates would be a likely canidate to be reused in some manner in the show, as it's not tied to any one particular character, just generic Jedi/Sith duels, so any Vader/Jedi throwdown could theoreticly utilize DOTF.

Across the Stars is specificly Anakin/Padme, so I wouldn't expect it to appear outside of a brief refrain if she's mentioned/remembered by someone (Vader thinking of her, for example), but I can't see it being used overtly.

Battle of the Heroes has a chance at being used in a similar manner to DOTF, as while it's been implied to be tied to Anakin/Obi-wan conflict, it's only appeared in the one film (and it took till ROTS to de-associate DOTF with the Obi/Quiggy/Maul fight), so it could have potential other applications.

(though, personally, the only place I could see Battle of the Heroes being effectively used again would be if they were to adapt the Luke/Vader duel from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, since Obi-Wan is really guiding/controlling Luke there; however obviously this show is set before ANH, so that's completely ruled out as an option unless the show, or one of it's McCallum-proposed spinoffs, jumps ahead to the ANH/ESB timespan)

3. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I wouldn't mind a different composer because some of Williams' recent work has been... um, a little unimaginative.

Example: Anakin/Vader leading the 501st into the Jedi Temple was the same theme as the battle-droids marching across Naboo. Did anybody else find that a little disappointing?

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's what we get for imposing "Battle Droid theme" on something that would be used in dramatic moments otherwise.

reality was much of ROTS was a scoring rehash done intentionally to tie the scores of the prequels with some elements of the OT.

Grievous' theme was the highlight of ROTS score...even the Obi-Ani duel wasn't great.

But none of that changes the fact that, good or bad, it instantly has a "feel" like star wars. There have been composers who can be complementary to Williams style...and thus nail the "feel"...but to be absolutely sure...always tap the source if he's willing.

5. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I enjoyed "Battle of the Heroes". I could see him contributing something but no scoring every episode.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Battle Droid Theme label sorta went out the windows with it's use in AOTC during the Clone parade, so it's reuse in ROTS wasn't as jarring. It, like the Escape From Naboo/Yoda's Calvary/Invisible Hand Plummets/Anakin Lands the Invisible Hand, ends up being one of a few prequel-only themes, comparable to the reusing of the TIE Fighter Attack from ANH in the classic trilogy.

7. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    How could this be a bad thing? :confused:

If it's anywhere near as good as the movie scores then we're in for a real treat.

8. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Williams/Music=Star Wars anything!!! The National Anthem he composed for the World Series was great also.

9. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Is this the music from the cut scene where Yoda is crucified? I was always curious what they were planning to use for that. ;)

-Paul

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Had to go with "I can't wait to hear new Star Wars music by John Williams".

11. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    John Williams isn't getting younger so I don't know if he would be physically able to score all the episodes of the upcoming live-action series. I can see him writing a handful of overall themes and mofits to be used throughout the series but the episode by episdoe music will be handled by others. Right now I'm more concerned with him completing a score for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    That sounds most likely Gobi. I also, can't see him scoring all the episode's.

13. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    First Lucas then Williams. Man this show going to be good. Maybe the Special effects will be as good as they were in the movies.

14. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007

As did I....but I'm very skeptical about this one. I have a hard time believing (as much as I may want to) that he'll do some work for TV. I'll believe it when it's confirmed!

15. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    It would be nice to have him compose some new scores for the show but even if he doesn't it shouldn't hurt the show any. So yes, good news, but there are plenty of his scores from the movies that can be used throughout the show if he decides to not compose.

But again, it would be nice to hear some new stuff. I mean it is a new show, so it should have some new music, and who better than John?

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Out of curiosity, has anybody heard any further news ?

17. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

that is the sound editors' fault IMO. JW doesn't decide when the music plays, just what it sounds like.

i think he'd do TV for Lucas. (and his $$)

18. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I could'nt imagine SW without John Williams.

I hope he scores the music for the show.

19. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    This is great news, I hope it happens!

20. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    After hearing the preview of what's to come for The Force Unleashed, I'd be happy to have Mark Griskey score the Live Action Series.

As we hear more about the series debuting in 2011 or 2012, and although I'd love for JW to score it, I think it's less likely that we'll get him(he's getting older).

21. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    As I already said once...JW may be tapped for a opening theme, perhaps another 1 or 2 big themes...but he is not going to be about the business of scoring a season's worth of episodes...leave that to the young up-and-coming guys.

Jeremy Soule impressed me with KOTOR...he could get a shot.

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I really cannot understand anyone not being excited about the concept of more John Williams Star Wars music. A thousand times buy this idea!

23. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    [face_dancing] Wow, I really hope so. Just imagine, new themes and old ones in new ways!! I can listen to his music all day, If I owned all the soundtracks.

If not I have a better suggestion, the dude who scored The Shadows of the Empire soundtracked. That guy definitely has the sensibilities of Mr. Williams.

24. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Definitely. Joel McNeely did an excellent job on the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack.

He didn't really have any catchy, immediately-hummable themes like a real John Williams score(but really, who else but Williams can do that?), but by and large I felt like the soundtrack sounded very Star Wars-ey.

25. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Actually it was music from The Arena that wasn't used in Attack of the Clones. It was also used when we first see Kashyyyk.

Sorry, that bothered me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.