main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams "Says" Rey is Luke Skywalker's Daughter

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Apollos, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollos

Apollos Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2000
    OK. Been around these parts for almost 20 years and haven't posted in a long time - a long time. But the new film brings some great discussion points. I think the biggest and most talked about mystery to be revealed in the next Episode is "Who is Rey"? I know full well the options: Rey Random, Rey Solo, and Rey Skywalker. I think Rey Solo is excluded from a narrative standpoint (as least I hope, because it would make TFA look drastically worse, IMO given the events that occur). However. I think Mr. Williams has given us a clue at the end of the TFA soundtrack. I love "studying" the themes that Williams does for the Star Wars movies. And this is a great soundtrack. For those that are underwhelmed: Give it some time. It will grow on you. Anyway, here is the evidence the Williams tells us Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter.

1) Williams likes foreshadowing with his themes. Case in point the end of TPM. Aussie's Municipal Band was actually the Emperors Theme in celebratory major (The End Celebration/Parade in TPM). Furthermore, he weaves the Imperial March into Anakin's theme. This is really highlighted at the end of the end credits in TPM. In TPM though, we all know where Anakin is going. This is no mystery just a great foreshadowing with the music.

2. Williams would get the "full reveal" of who Rey is and who she is "going to be." Abrams would not hold this back as Williams needs to construct her theme to be used/enhanced/altered in future episodes. She is the main character. So I am fully convinced Williams know who Rey is and her general planned character arc in the series.

3. Now: At the end of the end credits (after the Medley of new themes which is traditional) Williams returns to the Force Theme and weaves it with Rey's theme (this takes place over the last minute and a half of "Jedi Steps and End Credits"). This is understood well within the films narrative as we know Rey is strong with "the Force" but then, the whole movie ends with Luke's Skywalker's theme played by the slowly on the Xylophone - which - is only prominent in the movie in Rey's theme -especially her introduction.

Now - there are two caveats here. First, the end could be interpreted as just a tone poem for the last 15 minutes of the movie. Rey becomes powerful with the force and finds Luke Skywalker. Second, Luke's theme is also the Rebel fanfare. However, given the weaving of the Xylophone and the foreshadowing that Williams has proven he loves to do with this saga (even in the end credits), I think the evidence weighs towards the end giving a hint of who Rey really is = Luke Skywalker's daughter.

2. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    So... What do you make of the H/L theme playing while Rey and Leia hugged...

MattOrgana likes this.
  3. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I thought this was going to be an interview. :(

Agreed with the points though

4. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Valid points. We'll see! ;)

5. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Your second point is a little ridiculous. You offer nothing to back it, it's pure speculation. That is not evidence.

6. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    That reads to me like Leia and Rey are sharing a moment of mourning for Han.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Confirmed: Rey is Han. ;)

8. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Why would Luke ditch his daughter on Jakku? Why would he ditch her with scumbag Unkar Plutt on Jakku? Why not just take her with him?
    Rey is waiting for her family. Maz tells her that they are not coming back and Rey knows they are not coming back, that's why she starts crying. She was living in denial.
    The belonging she seeks is not behind her, not her family, the belonging she seeks is ahead, with Luke. The Force is her family and Luke is who she belongs with.
    I think she was ditched on Jakku by her parents because she was force sensitive. They were scummy parents, so they ditch her with scummy Unkar. This traumatic childhood experience of being ditched by your parents for being force sensitive causes Rey as a child to suppress her force sensitivity until the Force Awakens inside her 15 years later. Then the wall she has built up in her mind starts to crumble.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's exactly how I interpreted it as well. I doubt it has anything to do with Rey's parentage.

10. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Very insightful analysis. I have been listening to the soundtrack for the past two days and I did not pick up on this. Thank you.

Apollos likes this.
  11. Apollos

Sep 2, 2000
    Valid point to consider.

The Han/Leia Theme has somewhat transcended its original use, but Williams primarily uses in TFA to connect them both. But here is how I would understand it used in that context. Han has just died. Kylo, her son has just killed him. Luke, her brother is absent. The only one Leia can embrace/love that is near is Rey.

As stated in my original post, I don't think Rey can be Leia's daughter from a narrative context without greatly marring TFA. Han doesn't treat her like a daughter, although he treats her well. Then he sees Kylo take Rey, his focus is fixed on Kylo and when he meets Leia they only speak of Kylo/Ben. Han sacrifice would be lessened because he leaves this wonderful young lady who wants a father, and is actually his daughter behind. Furthermore, Leia gets her daughter back and the first thing she does is "send her to Luke" just like Kylo. Again, just my opinion. What would be your thoughts?

12. youngsaw

youngsaw Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015

I said this on another thread but I think that's the point of the story, Han noted that Luke walked away from everything.

Han is the father that Rey always wanted, Luke is the father she got landed with, he is broken and ran away from everything including her.

The OT was about Luke forgiving his father and redeeming him, same here where the story is about Rey finding and forgiving her father and redeeming him by bringing him back to help fight the FO.

burg2774 likes this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Or, you know, Chewbecca.

o_O

Knightstorme likes this.
  14. Apollos

Sep 2, 2000
    I actually think Kylo dropped Rey off. In the flashback, Kylo kills another knight of Ren who was going to kill Rey. This is Kylo having trouble with "the light". Compassion.

He drops her off. Luke may think she is dead. Also, think about it. She is waiting for "her family" to come back to get her. They are never coming back to Jakku to get her, Maz says. Ironically, in a couple minutes the one who did drop her off, her family, does come back and pick her up (kylo carries her) ; ) Which leads her to discovering the Force and ultimately back to her Father.

Notice she never says "parents" its "family" which Kylo would fit the bill. I hope all these clues do follow because the make for great drama in the coming episodes.

15. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I think the Knights of Ren killed Luke's wife - Luke is on his knees with R2 in front of his wife's funeral pyre. Rey is the child of this woman and Luke.

nightangel and Artoo-Dion like this.
  16. Lecter1972

Lecter1972 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah those scummy parents even found time to teach her the Wookie language and the language of the Droids

Or perhaps she picked them up on Jakku

Absolutely nothing is cut and dried in this movie regarding Rey

17. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Perhaps Rey's parentage is embedded in the hidden lyrics of her theme... (Just did this for fun.)

[​IMG]

18. BobaBacca

Nov 6, 2015
    If she is not Rey Random, Rey Palpatine is my second choice theory. That would give a very interesting dynamic of Rey, the hero, from the villain vs Kylo, the villain, from the hero. Also if Snoke is Plagueis, it makes Rey vs Plagueis have an extra twist. Ridley and McDiarmid both British too ;)

19. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Huh, this is an aspect/idea I'd not previously thought of.

I'm trying to think of what I have that might fly in the face of this theory. I think Kylo seemed a little too obsessed with her ("What girl?!" he growls), and wanting to train her ect. to have always known where she was hidden. UNLESS his light tendencies made him hide her (possibly from the influence Snoke had over him as a child) and he refuses to acknowledge the fact that he knows where she is, and as long as she stays put he can keep ignoring that he saved her?

I dunno. There is probably more working against it than we'd think.

It's probably more along the lines of him saving her in the rain (because he wasn't fully turned enough to allow his cousin to die)...and Luke or someone he trusts removing her realizing the danger, and removing her to Jakku. If I had to guess I would even say that Luke didn't know she was on Jakku. I'm thinking he had whomever he chose to hide her do so without telling him where.

20. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    My point is that we can't necessarily go by the soundtrack.

21. BobaBacca

Nov 6, 2015
    One of the main reasons I believe that it is Rey Random is because Snoke doesn't know about her. Han, Leia, Luke, Snoke and Kylo all know about each other. Nobody knows Rey. She is a nobody ditched on Jakku. Only the Force knows Rey.

22. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Hmmm...Snoke MIGHT know about her though. He's just focused on Kylo as that's who he invested his time in for years.

23. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    So kylo kills one knight of Ren, and the others just stand there and let him do what he wants? While certainly a plausible theory, they're going to have to really sell that idea in the next film. Kylo, or crappy abandoning parents, are the only two answers that make sense as far as Rey being left on Jakku with Unkar. It's obviously not Luke. Luke would have left Rey with Von Sydow. Even if Luke wanted to walk away from everything, he wasn't going to just sell his daughter into slavery. Kylo could easily give Rey up like that. So could crappy, or terrified, parents.

Now we have the part that's hardest to describe. There's no reason to assume the vision she has is younger Rey. She also sees Luke with R2, which should be after she's taken away. She also is crying for her mother if I remember correctly.

I'm more Rey random, but Rey abandoned by Kylo is a close second.

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Another thing I noticed: When Rey ignited the lightsaber and thus accepted her destiny, the "Burned Homestead" theme played. The same theme was used in ANH when Luke looked upon the burned bodies of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru and therefore accepted his destiny to become a Jedi.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

grand_admiral_ewok likes this.
  25. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Kylo killing one of the knights is merely a show of strength/bravado/non nonsense that PROBABLY made him their defacto leader.

And abandoning parents don't have to enter into it. Hiding a child from the forces that you can't protect them from is a patently smart idea. If Luke felt despair after Kylo and Snoke and the Knights betrayed him, he probably wondered if he could protect Rey, so sending her away would be apt.

He doesn't sell her into slavery. Placing her with Platt at Niima Outpost may be a tactical decision to have someone looking after her (while pretending not to) from nearby, and making sure she's fed (even with little to no portions and arguments)...and think about this. Platt won/stole the Millennium Falcon from Ducain...and it's conveniently sitting there collecting dust at Niima...possibly for when an adult Rey might need it to escape? Conicidence? Maybe...maybe not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.