main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hope they do because I really want the cantina song that Lin-Manuel Miranda helped write. I loved it and I was really upset it wasn't on the soundtrack.

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Not much TFA score news to report on at this point. The score's already been released and discussed thoroughly and any expanded or collector's editions are probably a year or two away.

Also, nothing new about his score for this year's The BFG or whether or not he'll score VIII. Though I'm expecting something from the former in the coming months.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Likewise. A wonderful mix of Mongolian throat-singing and reggae.

mavjade likes this.
  5. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Kind of a rookie question, but what's the piece that starts around the 3-minute mark? It's familiar, but I can't place it.

6. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Leia's theme?

7. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Howard Hand Yes, though I'm wondering more about where that arrangement's been used before, with the string backing.

8. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Similar arrangements can be heard in the A New Hope and Revenge of the Sith end credits.

Grey Matter likes this.
  9. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I thought the score was fantastic. Much like the film, the music seems to have a medieval edge to it. A prime example of this is the last thirty five seconds of Finn's Confession. Some tracks, like Rey's Theme and the Jedi Steps, have a mystical feel to them. I also noticed that while Plagueis' theme (Palpatine's Teachings), has an eeriness to it, Snoke's is more primal. It's practically demonic. Oddly, it's still sort of relaxing. :) JW is still the master!

10. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The soundtrack is best listened to alone without the movie.

The track is great by the way

11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I notice the soundtrack more and more with each viewing. I was disappointed at first but it's really grown on me. Not as in your face as the rest of the saga but still amazing.

Lulu Mars, mavjade , Rhyoth and 2 others like this.
  12. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Same here. To me the most iconic of all the soundtracks is Empire followed very closely by A New Hope -- almost a 1A and 1B scenario. While the soundtrack as a whole is not as "epic" in scale (IMO) as the PT and the OT, pieces like The Scavenger/Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance, etc. are as good as anything Williams has ever done.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, the first time I didn't really notice it, except for The Jedi Steps, because there is no dialogue and the music is kinda driving everything and The Force theme a few times. But I paid more and more attention with subsequent viewings, and it grew on me more and more every time! (I never disliked it.) It's lovely to listen to on its own.

That being said, I still don't think it will win the Oscar. I thought it was fantastic, but The Hateful Eight score was inspired.

14. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I think The Force Awakens is the better score but Morricone himself is more overdue an Oscar.

choccy likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    AWESOME!

17. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
  18. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016

Yeah I've seen an interview (can't remember which one, so can't post/link to it) where Daisy says that she was so overwhelmed by meeting John Williams, and THEN having the presentation of Rey's Theme for the first time ever by the LA Philharmonic that she had to leave the room. Looks like this was that session!

Also, I will say that Rey's Theme, or key motifs from Rey's Theme, are all over the score. I'd say it's the heart and soul of the TFA soundtrack. This is in no way exhaustive, but from my listening to the soundtrack over the past couple of months I can say that it's incorporated into the following tracks: (I've marked times on certain tracks where it's brief, or not too easy to catch on a single listen)

The Scavenger
    That Girl with the Staff
    Maz's Counsel
    Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle (1.43 to about 1.50)
    The Abduction
    The Ways of the Force (0.52 - 0.58) and (2.52 - 3.00)
    Farewell and the Trip
    The Jedi Steps and Finale (i.e the "Finale" bit)

And of course there's Rey's Theme itself. If anyone can find more, by all means feel free to add to the list! Also, as The Scavenger is basically Rey's Theme, or a version of it, can anyone confirm that this is definitely the piece that is used with her introduction? I'm not entirely sure from memory.

webraider, Colm and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes - that's what's used in her introduction (or a variation of).

20. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Finn's Confession (1:00 and 1:18)
    Torn Apart (3:55)

Knights of Ben likes this.
  21. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Cool - yeah just listening to it again today, The Scavenger (from 0.53 seconds on the soundtrack release) is definitely matched to the scene where Rey slides down the dunes in her sled. Rey's Theme has a different opening, with the flute/woodwind motif. And the previous 52 seconds is presumably used with Rey's initial introduction inside the Star Destroyer, up to the point where she jumps into the sled.

22. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Not TFA, but this amused me. The Imperial March, in a major key.

23. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I know 0:37 is the part when she pulls down the mask and takes a drink, and I think the sequence only has ambient sound before that point.

An episode of Rebels has a similar arrangement, and it's a really nice touch.

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Sounds like there may be a concert suite version of Kylo Ren's theme. I'd love to get my hands on that!

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Listening again to the ROTS soundtrack (love, love, love the choir) and cannot believe that Anakins Dark Deeds

is not meant to be referenced in this:

(Ben's Dark Deed?)

Loving this more..

Darth PJ likes this.