main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed. Anakin's theme is beautiful.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

Probably my favorite Star Wars music since Han and Leia. Rey's theme is amazing too.

StartCenterEnd and Artoo-Dion like this.
  3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I posted this on the Star Wars reddit, but I'll post it here too because I want to get some discussion going (hopefully).

So, the following cut theme for the scene in which Hux gives his speech can actually be found in two separate sequences in the film.

The first part of the theme, which I like to call the "Hux motif", which is roughly F# G# B A (you can play it on a virtual keyboard, preferably one with key identifiers if you're not musically inclined) plays in one scene at the very beginning of the film when we first see Poe being taken up to the Finalizer. You can hear this theme in action here (timestamp 1:19):

The second theme that plays is what I like to call the "First Order motif" and it is this sequence roughly: A A G# B. This motif occurs again towards the end of the film, when Han, Chewie, Finn and Rey enter the oscillator to bomb it from the inside. You can hear this theme here (timestamp 00:23):

I'm sure a case can be made that these themes are actually unrelated to the cut theme, but I feel that they are too similar to not be of note.

Artoo-Dion , 11-4D and redxavier like this.
  4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Nice find. I do wish they'd kept the music for the speech scene, it really plays it up as something big is going to happen.

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    have you taken a listen to this nugget yet?

6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yes, many many times. Gordy is a brilliant composer. I want him to eventually score a Star Wars film.

7. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
  8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I was just listening to the TFA score again this morning, and it's superb. "The Scavenger" and "Jedi Steps" are up there with the better moments in the OT scores.

Martoto77 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I went to one of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra TFA performances (they play the track live as the film is screening) and I found iit fascinating that I only appreiated the music properly when it wasn't accompanied by anything on screen.. the film was distracting to the least..