1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info John Williams to Score Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. christophero30 Jedi Master

star 4

It would be funny if it were a variation on the Jurassic Park theme.[face_dancing]
  2. hana_solo Jedi Master

star 4
    I refuse to believe that Finn and Rose theme is off table now that Rian says there won't be a central romance of Han and Leia stature. What do you think? No love theme? I was really looking forward to it on previous pages. =((
  3. ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost

star 5
    Leia's theme was originally the "love theme" of Luke and Leia. Williams forges his own path.
  4. General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight

star 3
    We'll get another slightly tweaked theme for TLJ...

[IMG]
  5. Howard Hand Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent! Never exactly sure why they never recorded it for AOTC and ROTS (a decision that ended up disqualifying them for Oscar best score nominations, I believe)
  6. ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost

star 5
    I really, really, really, really need to hear this theme again. Expanded and repeated multiple times.
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Its absurd that TPM didn't get a nod

Also a good thing they're not using TFA's weak version. Fix that first chord.
  8. B99 Force Ghost

star 6
    You guys are talking about the main opening crawl music right??
    Howard Hand likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter Jedi Master

star 4
    the imperial march really comes through in this version. Vibes of "Hope" from Rogue One.
  10. Mostly Handless Jedi Master

star 4

I respect Gustavo Dudamel's love for the Triangle, but honestly I prefer my SW movies to open with a nice loud. Baaarrrppp.:D
    Last edited by Mostly Handless, Jun 10, 2017
  11. jedijax Force Ghost

star 6
    Is this Jedi Steps suite all composed by Williams or was it extended by someone else?
  12. Howard Hand Jedi Master

star 4
    It's Williams
  13. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Some of Williams' best music, right there.
  14. jedijax Force Ghost

star 6
    Awesome! I recorded that bad boy! Great stuff!
  15. Nipuhanipera Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He did say at the LAA event that he composed a love theme for Luke and Leia, but I had no idea it was that one. I got the impression that it just wasn't used. [face_hypnotized]
  16. cerealbox Jedi Master

star 5
    Back in TFA. When did we get the track titles prior to the film premiere?
  17. ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost

star 5
    Something like three days after Thanksgiving 2015, via Amazon.
    Howard Hand likes this.
  18. Howard Hand Jedi Master

star 4
    Close. It was actually on Thanksgiving day itself.
  19. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    Interesting factoid: Williams has said he made Rey's (AMAZING!!!!) theme deliberately NON-romantic.
  20. Jacques who Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was looking for it in another thread and found it. Here's JW on Rey's theme (with the no love theme comment):

But in "The Force Awakens," he did branch out in interesting ways, epitomized in his theme for the new character Rey. “I fell in love immediately with Daisy Ridley,” Williams said of the actress at the center of the new film. “She is just a superstar born.”
    Williams introduces the young, resourceful scavenger with delicate and vulnerable instruments (flute, piano and the pixieish chimes of a celeste), which are juxtaposed against the enormity of her galactic backdrop. The chords in Rey’s theme are purposefully related to Williams’ well-known Force theme. (He interweaves the two during the end credits.)

“It’s an interesting challenge with her,” he said, “because it doesn’t suggest a love theme in any way. It suggests a female adventurer, but with great strength. She’s a fighter, she’s infused with the Force, and it needed to be something that was strong but thoughtful.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...music-score-john-williams-20151217-story.html
  21. Satipo Force Ghost

star 7
    Does anyone have a link to that Boston pops arrangement that works outside the US?
  22. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    I must also note that, as suggested by that quote, JW is pretty used to composing "romantic" music for SW. On a podcast I listened to that discussed JW's SW music, a music composition student/major/whatnot point out that even the music for Han in the OT is "romantic" in tone. JW must have been specifically instructed NOT to make Rey's theme romantic.

(Although it does sound rather balletic, doesn't it?)
    Jacques who likes this.
  23. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can't wait for "Luke's Noble End." Gonna be epic.

I think there's a semantic misunderstanding here. In music, art and literature "romantic" doesn't only refer to love. It also means "idealized" - containing the spirit of high adventure.
    Last edited by Gigoran Monk, Jun 13, 2017
  24. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    That may be why JW used the words he did instead? The guy talking on the podcast I heard also seemed to use "romantic" more in the traditional sense (probably because he knew that most of the audience woukdn't really get the "lingo").
  25. Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master

star 4
    Say what? Where did you hear this? I don't know why Williams would have made that mistake. It was obvious that Han and Leia were the romantic couple (that kiss Leia gave Luke was just to make Han jealous).:confused:
    Last edited by Baron_Papanerd, Jun 14, 2017