main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

That's crazy talk..... look at all the iconic music that came out of the OT..... the main (Luke's) theme, the Force theme, Leia's theme, The Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Han and Leia's theme.

There is some good music in the PT, but the OT's music revolutionized movie music.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  2. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    The OT and PT scores have completely different qualities. In fact every film really has a different quality to it.

Well, go on, since you asked....

A New Hope - loud, active, exotic - pulling you into the world with big themes and sounds that make one hell of an impact.

The Empire Strikes Back - themes ahoy, sweeping orchestras, huge focus on instrumentation and soundworlds - Williams having the time of his life with a sumptuous script and production.

Return of the Jedi - more subtle, a grower, contemplative - suiting the bittersweet and thoughtful nature of the film.

The Phantom Menace - epic, fun, catchy - extreme drama with supremely delicate incidentals, a real charm offensive to get people onboard with the new era.

Attack of the Clones - built around two themes, string-heavy - reflecting the epic romance genre the film is invoking, with space enough in this slow film to do a real Dr Zhivago on that main Across the Stars theme.

Revenge of the Sith - moody, brass emphasis, extensive use of full orchestra - representing a sinister film with a huge amount going on and the world falling apart, every instrument is crying out.

The Force Awakens - light, emotive, nostalgic - those three words describe the film exactly and this one is all about tone.

OT as a whole - swashbuckling, thematic adventure that is operatic and meant to take us into another world.

PT as a whole - unpredictable, eclectic and epic - a different era for the galaxy depicting events of huge magnitude.

ST as a whole - thus far, appears to be all about character and the effects and legacies that this history has had on future generations who struggle to find themselves in it.

My dear idol John Williams will simply never cease to amaze me, and I really never run out of things to analyse....

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Williams' didn't have anything to do with the trailer music though.

Ridley Solo likes this.
  4. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Are ALL the music from this trailer John Williams music?

5. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Williams themes arranged by trailer composers.

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Now now, that was over a year ago. My taste has... uh, matured.

7. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013

Which one is that part with the vocals?

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Anyone else notice the freaky high pitched choral singing here in the trailer? You can hear it clearly with headphones. Sounds quite foreboding, epic, transcendent.

MarcJordan and Mostly Handless like this.
  9. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^I realise that John Williams doesn't score the trailers, but if we got another choral piece in TLJ (or IX), a la Duel of the Fates, I would be a very happy camper.:)

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed. Also not forgetting the best use of vocal music in SW which IMO is this .

11. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    It'd be great if this film's score sounds different to the previous like how they did with the OT in terms of the orchestrations. With the OT, you can easily differentiate the music from each film.

Mostly Handless and 11-4D like this.
  12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I hear the Sheev Screech.

13. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    There is DEFINITELY vocals!

Has that part ever gotten an extended treatment?

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Not that I know of.

15. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm expecting longer cues and less heavy editing than TFA's score due to the (apparently) more streamlined post-production/scoring process of this film. My primary hope is that it's given prominence in the sound mix and on Williams' part, that there isn't too much retreading of old thematic material.

16. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I'm hoping that unlike Rogue One's soundtrack, this will include the full End Credits.

17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, that's with all 6 GL films. And now the 2 new ones, though that may be in part to Giacchino.

EDIT: Hey! I just became a Jedi Master! And double posted to announce the good news. Ugh!!!

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I would love a score that harkens to a combination of ESB and ROTS in feel and mood.

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  19. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Star Wars music SO EPIC, no movies music in any way like it!

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I'd be ok with this for a First Order march. Gordy Haab composed this, who knows if he had access to TLJ score or not.

21. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    It will. Rogue One was only that way because they reused the ANH recording.

That would probably be the most likely outcome though I'm personally hoping that it's its own thing.

22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm just here... waiting for a tracklist.

Ridley Solo, B99 and Mostly Handless like this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm sure we'll get some emotional tracks.. :)

MarcJordan likes this.
  24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Let's hope we get to hear the Luke and Leia theme. Just remember how overused Han Solo and the Princess was in TFA.

25. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    As for the themes we know, I'm looking forward to Luke and Leia the most. It would make me cry like a baby.

A choral theme would obviously go well with Snoke, and I feel like we'll get some on Ahch-To as well. The shot of Ahch-To with the chorus in the teaser was perfect. Maybe
    there will be some with Jedi Steps during Luke and Rey's Force talks.

Kylo and Leia theme? I really, really hope so. [face_love]=((:_|

11-4D, Ridley Solo and B99 like this.