main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    You all know where else may I find a discussion of this Soundtrack, since this thread isn't too active on it right now?

2. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Nothing in the score really stood out to me.

MoffJacob likes this.
  3. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Keep discussing it here, and this already existing thread will be more active. :p

I'm getting the CD of the soundtrack tomorrow. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    listening to it now. I already disagree with their being no standouts. :D

edit: you see, I'm so excited, I mistyped "there" !

SunnyNelson likes this.
  5. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Soundtrack was uninspiring as the film. Johnnie Williams dropped the ball although its not his fault if he is not given anything inspirational to work from !!

Howard Hand likes this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    one prominent theme from the OT which I wasn't expecting to make a glorious return.. yes it is re-scored.

TIE fighter attack. Havent seen the movie yet, but i'm guessing its used for the Crait sequence when there are TIEs chasing the Millennium Falcon

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    That was awesome. The entire Crait track is amazing, and the end of it sounds incredibly sad and reminds me of Anakin's Betrayal. Definitely some Kylo in there. My favorite tracks on the soundtrack are definitely Battle of Crait, The Spark (the ending is just incredible + Luke/Leia's theme at the beginning), and The Last Jedi at this point. I've also noticed that the first 3 notes in Rose's theme are the same as the first 3 notes in Anakin's theme in TPM! Maybe an octave lower. I might cry during the soft Leia's theme part of 'The Supremacy.' I have an idea of what happens there and it sounds incredibly emotional. Can not wait to see some of these tracks play out on screen tonight.

Not really sure how anyone can call the soundtrack 'uninspiring' without giving reasons why, but then again, I couldn't understand why people called TFA's soundtrack 'uninspiring' either. Oh well - can't please everyone.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    After my first listen through, I think my favorite track has to be "The Fathiers" Now to forget about what I had planned today and to dive right into the soundtrack, lol.

9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    He's 85 years old for God's sake.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    and he's trolling :oops:

11. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    is the score from the second trailer out? I can't seem to find that or even the name of that score anywhere...

12. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    You'd likely have to find a youtube edit of that with all of the voice overs and sound effects removed. They rarely release trailer music by itself officially.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  13. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Where are you guys listening to the score at?

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's because the viewer's attention is never drawn to the music enough for them to notice. Personally, I don't consider that a fallacy of the score but a compliment to the storytelling.

15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    There are certainly some subtle prequel score references in there. None of them are in-your-face, but some are easy to pick out.

16. Centennium Eagle

Centennium Eagle Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2014
    I thought I was on to something, but I guess I'm wrong. Track 20 (Finale) has got some Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (ep. III) hints in it. It starts around 5:43. As soon as I noticed I tried to find out from which part of the film this is. But to no avail, unfortunately.
    I was secretly hoping it was from the Kylo and Rey vs. the guards scene (New Alliance track I think). Then it would have been a subtle Rey Kenobi hint. But alas.

Any thoughts on where this piece of music fits into the film?

17. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Main complaint is lack of choir/choral music. I believe that's what people meant when they said "nothing stood out"

Jaxxon- likes this.
  18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I liked Rose's Theme.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Me too.

:p

20. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Ummm, just to be sure, when you are talking about Rose's theme you mean track #5, correct? There are NO specific tracks called "Rose's Theme"

21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    It's in the first track (Main Title/Escape) as well. It's not quite the same, but it's an obvious callback. 6:15

22. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    The thing is, you do get a decent amount of choral pieces in this soundtrack. In a few tracks actually. Most noticeably in The Last Jedi, which seems like it will be setting up an extremely epic and mythical atmosphere.

Yes. Her theme is actually in the soundtrack a lot more than I expected. It's in at least 4 tracks, and is noticeable in each one.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    After a few more listen-throughs, "The Fathiers" is still my favorite. I put it above "Scherzo for X Wings" which was my favorite track from TFA. It might even be up there with The Asteroid Chase, though that's nigh unbeatable

24. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Say, which track(s) 'gave you life'?

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Rebellion is Reborn for me. Great track. The Spark is also fantastic and I love the Ach-To Island music that accompanies Luke on his journey.