main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The Spark is the best thing ever. I've listened to it so many times. It fits the scene so perfectly that when I hear the music I can't help but see it too.

2. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    I think Ep9 will probably have music closest to the prequels.I have a feeling J.J. will bring out a new duel of the fates inspiration for Williams.

3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Dooku totally did in AOTC. As soon as he's mentioned in the Chancellor's office at the beginning of the movie, you can hear his motif playing and continues to play throughout the movie whenever he's mentioned or on screen. As for Obi-Wan, I always associated the main Force theme with him. When he was first introduced to us in ANH, it was most frequently used around him because he represented the old days of the Jedi Knights and the theme often had an "old man reminiscing" quality to it. Obviously, binary sunset and throne room versions of it were exceptions.

gaarastar58 likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It's not really specific to Dooku though, it plays over Zam's death, Obi-Wan's meeting with Fett, the Senate meetings about forming the Grand army, and the Sepratist council meeting, so it's more of a general 'mystery' theme.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I always took it as Dooku's theme as he is, after all, the face of the movement that this secret plot is tied to.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So I've been kinda dissecting the ST. Interesting JW reused TFA crawl music but from what I can tell the finale credit music is rescored..

7. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    It's pretty unreal to listen to and visualize Luke walking through that burning hole in the door. One of the most epic moments in the entire saga.

Garth Maul, 11-4D and gaarastar58 like this.
  8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I get misty in theaters when that statement of Luke and Leia's theme comes up...

Garth Maul and themoth like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not surprising but interesting that TLJ was not spot sessioned but simply presented to JW with a temp track of JW music (mostly from Star Wars I'd suspect) with a lot of ROTS.

Also I love how it mirrors againts Anakin's Dark Deeds:

From 2:11

From 2:15

I was chilled by the music when I first heard it and didn't know exactly why besides it being awesome but besides it being ROTS like I didn't immediately place it until I heard Bobby Roberts point it out on his 3 part music special podcast.

As usual though as Anakin's is about descent Luke is about ascending.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    How do you know this? Do you have a source?

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    RJ said so on this podcast:

About 6:20 in:

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow that's so wizard!

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    @Qui-Riv-Brid do you ever post in the Music forum? You so should...

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    At 9 mins Rian's talking about the fan fair and talking about JW rescoring it.. and 10:30 say he re Records it each time. Which is weird cause he used same one for I-III and VII-VIII..?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The Utah Symphony Orchestra did the concert version of TIE Fighter Attack/Here They Come a bit up tempo and I think it comes the closest to the re-scored TLJ version. Love that pounding percussion.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's something worth digging into:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/a-field-guide-to-the-musical-leitmotifs-of-star-wars

17. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    In yet another example of America’s academics being a little ahead of the fan boys, Alex Ross of the New Yorker shares why this is John Williams most compelling Star Wars score yet:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...fs-of-star-wars/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Son of Sith and Lady Rey like this.
  18. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    I might be reading it wrong, but it sounds like if Rey rebuilds the saber, it will basically wipe out the Skywalker connection.

19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Why? The kyber crystal would be the same. This assuming she simply reconstructs it, instead of using its part to created a new lightsaber of her own.

20. Lady Rey

Lady Rey Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 3, 2018
    Yeah I'm wondering if the crystal was cracked though. I'd prefer it stable, still the same and rebuilt new, but I'm worried it'll be too damaged and she'll seek out a new one.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Only John Williams could balance so many different character/team motifs/themes in one chaotic battle scene like this with dramatic changes in tempo and bring it together in a way that sounds like its own unique epic work of art. The Battle of Crait is stunning.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  22. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Love the choir in the self titled Last Jedi song as well.

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This score took me a bit to get into but now I am ADDICTED to "Rebellion is Reborn", "The Spark" and "The Last Jedi".

The Rose motif has quickly become one of my all time favorites. Simple yet so amazing!!!

24. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Finn and Rose has a playful quality like Potter at times which I enjoyed. Rose’s theme is a nice addition to the ST as a whole following Jedi Steps, Rey’s theme and Poe’s theme which are all exciting. I also like the Falthiers.

Turning Kylo Ren’s theme into a march at the end is super exciting for IX. It sounds so much more bad ass. Hope it gets more march treatment throughout.

11-4D likes this.
  25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You can easily tell that Rian Johnson handed JW a cut of the film with a temp score to work with in lieu of a spotting session, and admittedly the score suffers from it. That being said, it's still a damn fine composition with a good chunk of original music which I've been listening to non-stop.