main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'm not sophisticated enough to know for sure, but is there a slight nod to "Battle of the Heroes" at the end (around 6:30) of Main Title/Escape? (Sans choir)

11-4D and KembaSkywalker like this.
  2. Darth_Anxious

Darth_Anxious Jedi Master

Jan 16, 2005
  3. Darth_Anxious

Darth_Anxious Jedi Master

Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  4. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Wow. Thank you. Free aint bad...not bad at all. :D[face_peace]

5. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    LOVE that podcast! :D

I must say, I love “The Spark.” Most badass “battle entrance” music I’ve ever heard. Interesting that JW used a deconstructed “Imperial March” for it. Vader’s legacy still hangs heavy over that family...

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's a great listen. Bobby used to post here a lot. Shame he left.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
  8. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I'm not sure if it's intentional, but you're spot on with how similar it sounds. I've been hearing that since the first time I listened to the soundtrack. I remember texting my roommate Star Wars friend as soon as I listened to it and he thought the same thing. I think it's purely coincidental, but it definitely contributes to the tone of the TLJ sountrack sounding similar to that of ROTS.

Yes to all of this.

@Darth_Anxious Thank you! Been desperately searching for a podcast that discusses music ever since David W. Collins stopped working with RFR. Wish he would just make his own youtube channel or something :p, he is a very busy man though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    It has to be said that we are incredibly blessed to have John Williams still writing high quality music for Star Wars - not just because of his age, but because of the sheer number of scores that he has composed over the decades...how does he keep coming up with new ideas?

That said, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of new themes in the TLJ score...the music works well in the film but a lot of it is music for action scenes, rather than full themes (perhaps a bit like AOTC, which outside of Across the Stars, didn't have any other new themes from what I remember). I like the theme for Rose, but I can't understand why it doesn't get a full concert arrangement on the album, especially given the lack of other new themes. Also I think that the two other new motifs (or cues, or whatever you call them!) - the one related to Luke on Ach-to, and the one which appears in the battle scenes (not sure if it's for the First Order or the Resistance) could be more fully developed on the album. Instead they are all combined in one track, 'The Rebellion is Reborn', which is one of the best on the album - but it seems a bit of a waste to put them all in one place.

'The Spark' is superb though, and overall I think it will be one of those soundtracks where it just takes longer to explore and appreciate it, with the great moments buried within it rather than being presented really obviously as full themes. And like the film itself, I think it's important to enjoy what we did get, rather than complaining about what we didn't.

Howard Hand likes this.
  10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would ask tho... what other character or element needs its own theme that does not already have one?

Garth Maul likes this.
  11. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    It's a fair point, the second film will always have less scope for new themes - but maybe the FO could get a theme, or Finn, or there could be a new piece in the vein of Tie Fighter attack from ANH or The Asteroid Field from ESB - action music, but really memorable. But I guess my main issue is that the soundtrack album doesn't make the most of the new themes / cues which have been written, and only uses them in short bursts rather than full pieces of music in their own right.

I'm not complaining though, it's still great music!

12. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    The droids.

(they've had several mini-themes thru the saga, but nothing has stuck)

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    One of my biggest disappointments - and it is a small one - is that the FO doesn't seem to have a theme of its own. Perhaps if in IX, they've established galactic power, they'll get one. Kylo Ren's theme is incredible, but it's so short

Garth Maul likes this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Ben’s theme works so well when he smashes his helmet, and later when he charges Luke’s hologram.

11-4D and Seagoat like this.
  15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I completely agree. And that's some magic Williams has made - it doesn't NEED to be a long or even average length piece like Imperial March. In just a few notes, it gets across a lot and puts in just the right emotion that the scene needs

11-4D and themoth like this.
  16. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the first order has a prominent motif but it doesn't have a proper concert arrangement. I think we'll get one in IX, when the First Order should be at the peak of its influence over the galaxy.
    Gordy Haab actually did this in Battlefront II, though it's not JW official, so it doesnt count.

the motif from TFA, 2:09

you also get it here at :23

It's all over the place when the First Order is on screen in TLJ.

here, for example, before Holdo's theme :17-:25

coervus and Seagoat like this.
  17. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    A couple of points on this.

There was an unused theme for TFA that would have occurred during Hux's Space-Nazi speech that they got rid of, understandably, as they probably wanted to highlight Gleeson's fantastic performance. I've linked the piece before, but I'll post it again below for the sake of this discussion.

This, combined with the piece of music that was heard in the Verizon ad (we're not completely sure if that was Williams or not) leads me to believe that there are some themes out there that have been played around with for the FO. But for whatever reason, we haven't gotten a distinct one in the films.

It's interesting though - it almost seems like a storytelling choice in terms of TLJ. When the movie opens, and the FO arrives above D'Qar, we don't get any FO or Imperial fanfare, we get Kylo Ren's theme. It's as if John Williams, and probably Rian, were foreshadowing that by the end of the movie, the First Order belongs to Kylo Ren, so we get his theme representing the FO as a whole. Not completely sure how accurate that is, but I think it's an interesting thing to consider - at least for TLJ.

Garth Maul, themoth and Xinau like this.
  18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm, good point. Imperial March represented Vader as much as it represented the Empire itself - in fact, the Empire had a theme in ANH that was never used again (or RO might've used it a couple times, can't recall). Guess that brings up the question then of if the FO really needs one/has one already in the form of Kylo's motif

Satipo, themoth and KembaSkywalker like this.
  19. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    You're correct. It's used in RO at least once, when Vader is in the bacta tank. Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear a new First Order theme for the ST. And you're right, the Imperial March had basically turned into the Empire's theme by the time RotJ rolled around, so maybe JW had planned something similar with Kylo's theme. I just thought it was interesting how the music foreshadowed Kylo's eventual control over the FO.

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is there anywhere else to find the Soundtrack Disney has on their site at a higher bit rate?

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Kylo’s theme plays when the First Order ships arrive during the evacuation (Kylo isn’t featured in this scene). It gives credence to the idea that his theme also applies to the First Order as a whole.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The FO have Kylo Ren’s theme, which as others have pointed out is used for both, just like Imperial March/Vader’s theme, etc. Finn? Maybe, but without a theme in TFA where he had way more to do, I don’t see it debuting in Ep 8. As for the new themes from TFA I think they are used brilliantly and extensively. I love how Williams masterfully weaves all the thematic material together.

The droids don’t need a theme. And I kind of meant what new to Ep 8 or the ST needed a theme.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Saw it again last night and I quite like what he did with the the score, I need to buy it now to give it plenty more listens. Maybe its just me, but one thing I noticed is when Luke is walking up the steps with Rey to the stone altar thing is that it reminded me a lot of the Kamino themes in AOTC, which is one my favourites of the PT, did anyone else catch this?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  24. KembaSkywalker

Jun 16, 2016
    I believe I know exactly what you're referencing (correct me if I'm wrong.) I think it happens at 3:26 of this track on the soundtrack right before turning into Luke's awesome new theme:

Off topic, but Luke's new theme is so amazing. It's perfect for TLJ, Ahch-To, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    AndyLGR likes this.
  25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You sell yourself short, @Garth Maul. You ooze sophistication! ^:)^

Garth Maul likes this.