main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    jedijax

It's more like that he wants to see how to incorporate the new themes into the corresponding scenes. It's possible that they already edited scenes to recurring themes (the Force theme, Rey Theme, Kylo theme, etc).

2. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    From what I recall Looper uses music very sparingly, especially in its first half. Perhaps Rian is using JW's soundtrack for editing in order to strike a more 'star-warsy' tone, as Star Wars is known for having particularly lavish musical scores.

General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  3. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    My guess: the rough cut was done, they did a spotting session to work out the broad strokes of the score, the final cut will be edited with the intention of matching the music to minimize edits to the score, but I doubt this will be absolute. Or RJ may just want it for inspiration.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Totally stoked to hear that Rian wants the score to inspire the edit rather than the other way around. All art aspires to music.

5. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    This news got me excited big time. It looks like Rian is letting John Williams tell the story to some extent. If that's true, then I'm really happy to see such appreciation of what music brings to Star Wars. Well, obviously it's not possible that the whole cut of the film is made around the music, but it's very interesting that Williams gets at least some freedom. It's also interesting how the communication between the director and the composer looks like if they don't want to rely on a fixed visual sequence.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Not VIII but 100% real, from the TFA making-of documentary. It's two separate cues, the first for Hux's speech at Starkiller base and the second from Han's death scene.

8. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is a good thing. IMO, there were too many places in Episode VII, where there was no music; as if they left a lot of music on the editing room floor. At least that is what it seems like to me, compared to the other 2 Trilogies.

11-4D likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm glad RJ is using the score for his editing, gives me hope for having a great soundtrack.

Siphonophore and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You don't need music crammed into every corner of the film. Periods of silence are good breathers, and help enhance the musical moments in contrast. You need calms as well as storms.

Siphonophore and Howard Hand like this.
  11. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    That's true. The OT had some prominent quiet stretches. I believe the decision to leave most of the Death Star scenes unscored to provide a musical-breather for the audience. Not to mention The Empire Strikes Back, which (wisely) cut the music from the Vader/Luke duel and some of the early scenes on Hoth.

There's also AOTC, which cuts Williams' Battle of Geonises theme in favor Ben Burtt's tribal drumming, followed by 20 minutes of tracked music from TPM for most of the action finale.

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup. Some of my favorite Star Wars scenes (the early ones on Hoth) are also music-less, with just the wind howling.

13. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Yes, you need some moments without music. But if you compare the music in ESB to TFA for example; TFA sounds empty. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems to me that they kept a lot of Williams' Score out of the final edit. The exception was in the beginning of TFA; where there was the normal amount of music expected in a Star Wars movie. There was Rey's introduction, when she was scaveging the ruins of the fallen Star Destroyer. Even the moment when Poe is talking to Lor San Tekka, there was the signature quiet atmospheric music in the background. The rest of the movie seems to be a musically empty, comparatively, to me. The ability to compose quiet atmospheric music during dialogue moments, as well as the big rousing Themes, is what I like most about Williams. I have watched TFA multiple times; and hoped that I would feel differently about this. But I still feel the same way. [face_dunno]

Yeah. And I seem to remember (as seen in one of the video extras on the AOTC DVD) that there was some arguments with Ben Burtt, about holding back too much of Williams music in AOTC. ;)

14. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I've always felt like the Death Star battle felt a bit... empty without music.

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    One thing I'm looking forward to hearing is a variation on "The Jedi Steps." I could definitely see Williams playing with the feel of that piece, much like how he's done some very different renditions of the Binary Sunset theme and The Imperial March and, well, quite a few themes, actually. I could imagine getting a more upbeat/rousing rendition of "The Jedi Steps" during Rey's training, for example.

Baron_Papanerd and Satipo like this.
  16. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Same. JW could use The Jedi Steps as a new theme for Luke and Rey. It's perfect in TFA, and of course I'd love to hear more of it. Maybe we'll get some of Rey's theme with Jedi Steps. I'm curious to see how Luke is musically represented.

17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

I would love if JW did a SW soundtrack like HZ did in Interstellar!!!! Even though it kinda isn't Star Warsy, Love to hear something like this in TLJ!

Siphonophore and dekaneas like this.
  18. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Unlikely to happen for Star Wars but his score for A.I Artificial Intelligence is probably the closest Williams has gotten to that sound, particularly with the use of Phillip Glass-esque minimalist rhythms.

B99 likes this.
  19. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

I think you can count on it. The track "The Jedi Steps" (The word Jedi being significant) is used as a swelling build up to the climax, that being "The Force Theme", which literally introduces Luke for the first time in the ST. ;)

Mostly Handless and nightangel like this.
  20. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I love how sparse the force awakens was tbh. I would love for them to do that again but also go more melodic and introduce more new themes at the same time

21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    The score for the second movie in SW trilogies is all about:

[​IMG]

22. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    hana_solo
    Not really a romance fan, but I find myself seriously hoping that Finn and KMT have one in TLJ just for the slushy John Williams music that comes with it.:p
    It doesn't even need to be the Steinerific grandiosity of Across the Stars (which is beautiful BTW), even something simple like this will do. I'll take anything, just one more JW love theme before he hangs up the baton for good.[face_praying]

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Mostly Handless

I love Love Themes! Thanks for posting that one. Some of my favorites:

24. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016

I'm sort of under the impression the first cue would be a First Order theme. It sounds amazing, and I'm really hoping that Williams expands on it in VIII.

dekaneas and Mostly Handless like this.
  25. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    hana_solo
    Glad you enjoyed it, that said, you can never go wrong with the maestro.
    BTS footage of JW scoring AOTC. From a VHS release, judging by the image quality:p

I'm not sure what he and Lucas were actually referring to by 'like the great love stories of the films of earlier times', but what sprang immediately to mind was this;
    Max Steiner, Gone With The Wind enjoy:)

Regardless I'd love to know the identity of the temp track that became Across the Stars

Edit: BTW did Howard Shore & co. adapt Tolkien's Elvish for his LOTR scores?

BenYodaDagobah likes this.