main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA John Williams Transportation

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Keiran_Horn, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Okey dokey. There are basically three options for transportation to the Hollywood Bowl:

1. Pre-Purchase a parking space:

Cost for this ranges from $11 to $13 for one night. Parking at the Bowl is extremely limited, with 2,800 on-site parking spaces for approximately 18,000 Bowl seats.

2. Park and Ride

These are various locations where you can park your car, and grab a bus to the Bowl. Lot locations can be found at: Park and Ride

3. Bowlbus Shuttle

More lots where you can park your car and grab a shuttle to the Bowl. Tickets are $3 per person, with three locations: Bowlbus Stops

We should all probably meet at the same shuttle location, or whatever, as it would make it easier for us all to find each other and get our tickets. Transportation to and from the shuttle pickup locations or whatever, can also be discussed here. :)

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The best way is the park and rides. The parking I believe is already sold out for this event.

4. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Thanks, SRB.

OK, park and ride?

We should also figure out vehicles for this.

5. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I agree.

3am GB? Is that a new board record for you?

6. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Quite possibly!

7. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    And fast replies! :eek: Who are and what have you done with GB??

8. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    I've used the Ventura Blvd. parking lots & Bowlbus before. It's slightly cheaper than the park & ride lots, and because it's closer to the bowl, it's convenient for more people. Of course, we're all coming from the north, so it makes no difference this time.

If we decide on the park & ride option, which lot would we use, Chatsworth or Sherman Oaks?

9. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Well, I vote for Chatsworth...a drive thru the valley to it's other end is something I regularly if at all possible...

Also, if anyone needs a ride, we can take two extra people...

10. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I was drifting towards Sherman Oaks, just because I know where it is offhand. :)

11. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I'm kind of lost. :/

12. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Well, Chatsworth is closer than Sherman Oaks...

And YJ, you're usually confused...

13. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Zar's turning into Matt. :(

14. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    We can take a couple of extra people as well.

Explain the difference between the two options?

15. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Uh, yeah....

Can someone explain the difference for me also? :)

16. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Looks like the first one is a bus, and the second one is a shuttle. The second one costs too. There's probably different parking locations as well.

17. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    The BowlBus shuttle has parking lots that are just a couple of blocks from the bowl. Shuttles leave about every 15 minutes, and cost $3.

Park & Ride lots are further away, the buses don't leave as often, and the cost is $5, but other than that, it's not really different, as far as I know.

I have room for three people, or maybe even four if one of them is small.

What are we doing by way of dinner? Are there any plans for a picnic at the bowl?

18. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I've got room for three people.

Not sure what we are doing for dinner either.

19. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Oh, let's do dinner, for sure !

And, maybe we can bring snacks/desserty stuff for during the concert.

Keiran, can you look into the bringing-food policies for that night?

20. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Don't blaim Zar, Garrett, it's just too easy.

21. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    According to the Hollywood Bowl website:

Pre-concert dining under the stars has always been part of the pleasure of the Hollywood Bowl experience. The dining choices are many, offering something for every taste and budget. And those choices have just become very attractive with the selection of The Patina Group, under the direction of master chef and restaurateur Joachim Splichal and his wife, Christine, as the official caterer.

Renowned for Patina Restaurant, the Pinot bistros, Nick & Stef's Steakhouse, and its museum cafés at LACMA and MOCA, The Patina Group puts the emphasis on freshness, seasonality, and creativity, whether it be served in your box, at The Rooftop, or purchased from a refreshment stand.

The Patina Group is the official caterer and food service provider at the Hollywood Bowl

Gourmet Picnic Dinners À La Carte and Gourmet Picnic Box Menus
    Begin the evening with a gourmet meal, delivered to your box and served by our staff. Gourmet Picnic Dinners à la Carte offers a choice of appetizers, cold, hot, and grilled entrées, and desserts; the Gourmet Picnic Box Menus are three-course prepared meals. Call (323) 850-1885 for a faxed menu and place your order by 4 p.m. the day before. Give your name, box number, time of delivery, and credit card info.

Both the Picnic Dinners à la Carte and Picnic Box Menus are also available for pick-up. Your dinner will be packed with everything that you will need, including bread and butter and utensils. Order by 4 p.m. the day before and pick it up at the counter between the 1st and 2nd promenades (at lower east Box Seat entrance).

Staccato
    Walk up to the Staccato counter to order a delicious quick meal to go. Items include a variety of appetizers, main course salads and pastas, rotisserie chicken, poached salmon, and a tempting array of desserts. Located between the 1st and 2nd promenades (at lower east Box Seat entrance).

Refreshment Stands
    A variety of other refreshments, including hot dogs, enchiladas, chicken sandwiches, salads, soft drinks, beer, Champagne, and wines, are available at concession stands located throughout the Bowl.

The Marketplace by Patina and the Rooftop Grill
    Designated as the exclusive caterer for the Hollywood Bowl for the third consecutive year, Joachim Splichal's Patina Group recently unveiled two new venues at the famed amphitheater. Our guests will be able to choose from the casual outdoor elegance of a seated pre-concert meal at the Rooftop Grill or visit the Marketplace by Patina, replete with gourmet goodies, where all of the essential ingredients to hand-select the perfect picnic can be found.

Overflowing with specialty gourmet foods for the discerning diner, The Marketplace offers everything from hot and cold entrées such as fresh sandwiches and salads, baked lasagna and rotisserie chicken, to gourmet cheeses, olives, tapenades, sushi, smoked salmon, caviar and a variety of patés.

The Rooftop Grill's simple but elegant menu includes light selections such as compressed cobb salad with roasted chicken and summer gazpacho or heartier fare including filet mignon, grilled spicy pork chop and the renowned super JBS mashed potatoes.

Patina at the Pool
    Lobster Salad, Tuna Tartar, Veal Chops, Filet of Beef, Chilean Sea Bass, followed by Chocolate Crunch Cake or Vanilla Crème Brûlée are just a few of the choices for the patrons of Patina at the Pool in the Pool Circle box seats. Dinners are served in the boxes by our professional staff, and complemented by a large selection of wines, Champagnes, and other beverages. Patina at the Pool is a truly exceptional dining experience at the Bowl.

Also, here is what it says about picnics:

Picnic at the Bowl
    In the hills surrounding the Hollywood Bowl are charming areas perfect for pre-concert picnics. Picnic areas open about 4 hours before each concert and tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Large groups (30+) may reserve selected areas through the Group Sales Office: (323) 850-2050.

California Canteen
    A great place to

22. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Maybe it's just my cynical side showing, but I'm guessing it's pricey. Also, some of those dining options are available only to people who have box seating.

Can we bring food for *during* the concert?

23. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    This is what I could find (under Tickets > Information & Policies > Theatre Policies):
    Coolers, Containers, and Picnic Baskets
    For the safety of all our patrons and to comply with fire regulations, the aisles and walkways of the Hollywood Bowl must be kept clear at all times. Therefore, large containers, picnic baskets, or coolers measuring more than 15" wide, 15" high, or 22" long will not be permitted past the ticket gate. Re-usable containers (such as Tupperware or sipper bottles), holding food or beverages are permitted in the theatre, as are wine bottles and wine glasses. Please note: kegs, pony kegs and party balls are not permitted.
    As I interpret it, picnic baskets are allowed, as long as they're not too big.

If anyone has binoculars, don't forget to bring them!

24. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    No kegs, I'm so out.

Edit: Oh yeah, haha, I have sucky friends. Turns out I'll just need a single ticket, and a ride. :/

This is sounding more and more fun though.

25. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Lol, don't feel bad Garrett. My mom can probably give you a ride too, I just have to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.