main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    They could always hire Jeremy Soule to fill in the gaps.

TKT and Scummy_and_Villainous like this.
  2. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Wow, blast from the past right here, Total Annihilation is one of my most favorite games of all time!

3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well Jeremy Sould does most of the video game star wars scores. He can be trusted

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014

=D=

5. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    I think if anyone's getting the nod after Williams, it's gonna be Michael Giacchino. Not just because he's one of the most well known/well-recognized composers currently working, and not just because he's very good at adopting musical styles and incorporating them fairly seamlessly into his own works, but because he's got a long history at Bad Robot and so long as they're producing Star Wars movies - he's probably going to be at the top of any list for the main set of movies.

Although I'd really like if they considered Bear McCreary as well, seeing as his leitmotif work in Battlestar Galactica is up there with Howard Shore's stuff on Lord of the Rings, and personally, I consider the Battlestar scores to be some of the best film work of the last 20 years, period.

Darth PJ and Artoo-Dion like this.
  6. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm curious to see what Giacchino will do with the Jurassic World soundtrack.

7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I hope John Williams lives another 20 years just to spite you guys.

^:)^ LONG LIVE THE MAESTRO! ^:)^

8. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    So far as I can tell nobody's wishing for anything ill to happen to the man, and suggesting he live as long as possible so he can spite messageboard posters isn't any more charitable in the other direction, I don't think :)

I just saw him a few months ago with the Oregon Symphony, and it was damned fantastic. He tore the roof off the place with his Fiddler medley (see what I did there?)

9. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    The man is in his 80s. Let's be realistic here. He's not going to be with us much longer, better make the most of it.

10. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    The only thing worse than John Williams dying would be replacing him with a Diet Williams like Giacchino.

11. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

Ming finds your lack of faith disturbing...

markdeez likes this.
  12. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    He is not even the oldest person involved in Ep. VII... :)

D'an likes this.
  13. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    No one is guaranteed to live that long.

14. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Agree a billion percent. The score needs to be symphonic, not so ambiance driven.

markdeez likes this.
  15. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Zimmer has done many different scores.

16. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Does Williams have an apprentice or a successor that he acknowledges? I love his work, but a small part of me worries about his age, even though he looks to be in good health.

17. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    This is great news, JW is the best I have utter faith he will make it through all three films with ease^:)^^:)^^:)^

The man is an ICON^:)^^:)^^:)^

18. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

And don't forget that Disney/Lucasfilm already had Giacchino score Star Tours.

19. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Michael was also hired to score the new "Jurassic World aka Jurassic Park 4" which obviously is one of John's babies but guys I don't like this conversation. I want John to continue to live a long life. But if John wants to retire after "Episode VII" i'm fine with that but I want him to established this Trilogy with a new epic theme that will live on like he did in the Prequels when some thought he could never top anything from the OT when "Duel of Fates" proved a lot of people wrong.

20. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    I bet John would have been able to score Jurassic World as well if he were younger, but priorities, am I right?

21. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

Both are coming out next year. If this was 20 years ago in the 90's he would of done both but the man is 82 years old. I think he's working on "Episode VII" and that's it for now. This man has released 135 Studio albums/soundtracks. He's an Iconic Legend. It's a blessing that he going to work on "Episode VII".

Darth PJ likes this.
  22. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    If not John Williams, then I nominate Danny Elfman for usually producing the complete opposite of boring, rhythmless soundtracks that are prevalent in most movies these days.

mratm23 likes this.
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Elfman is IMHO talented but not at all suited to SW. His style would be a complete departure.

TK327 and Darth PJ like this.
  24. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, but he looks extraordinarily healthy for someone in their 80s. Heck he looks like he could be in his 60s.

One of my great-grandmothers lived to be 99 years old. For all we know, Williams could live to be a... a... Centurian? No, that's not the word I'm looking for... ah... for all we know he could live to be 100.

If he were having any health problems to speak of at the moment, I might be more concerned. But right now, he's just so healthy. He seems to be showing no signs of keeling over any time soon, despite his age.

25. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    If not Williams after Ep7, I think Patrick Doyle would be an excellent replacement. He's got lots of Hollywood experience, and his sound would be very fitting for Star Wars. His scores for Henry V, Frankenstein and Harry Potter 4 are really incredible.