main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I just think it means a teaser trailer is coming soon.

Hans Zimmer wrote an original piece for the Batman v Superman teaser that showed at comic-con. I think Williams is brainstorming ideas for the entire score, while also actually writing music for a trailer.

2. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014

A good friend of mine who I went to music school with was actually playing on that concert. On Friday, he sent me a picture of Williams rehearsing the orchestra. Pretty cool.

When he says he begins two weeks from now, I assume that filming will be complete by then. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that JW doesn't really read scripts and only composes if there's a rough-cut of a film first, so perhaps he'll have a preliminary meeting with JJ to discuss what kind of sound JJ is looking for in Episode 7.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Williams score was essentially re-recorded for the second film, with only a few new cues from Ken Thorne. The third film was a mix of Williams work and new material from Thorne. On the fourth film, Williams contributed three new themes for Nuclear Man, Lacey Warfield and Jeremy, but they were adapted by Alexander Courage who also adapted several pieces of Williams work. Almost nothing on that film was an original piece by Courage. John Ottoman came up with new material for "Superman Returns" and a few pieces were brought back from Williams.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well I never said never and neither has he from anything I've seen. I just said that is not the way he has worked so this will be something new for him not JJ.

More animatics than storyboards. The "rough" cut of the film has already been assembled in that way.

For the prequels especially once they went digital they were cutting the same day. To call it a rough cut is probably too generous a term though.

Actors is a green room is part of the practical process. Unless of course you think that extending sets or having people reference ships is not "practical" in which case I don't know what it was they were doing on the OT.

The point is that any work with the actor could be temped into an animatic transition if that were really necessary.

5. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    I've been wondering whether or not this Star Wars will feature the basic soundtrack with a slightly unique piece/theme thrown in (TPM, AOTC, ROTS). But since there is a younger cast and a new generation watching it, will there be a slightly more electronic vibe?

I know it'd be different, but I'd love to see some jedi fight scenes set to John Williams/ Electronica or what ever. It's hard to describe.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The classic Star Wars soundtrack.

Keep that electronic "music" **** away from the franchise, thank you very much.

sethg, Baron_Papanerd, Veloz and 6 others like this.
  7. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    THIS. I could see there being more anger from fans than there was from the prequel haters if we get a Daft Punk soundtrack for Star Wars.

Veloz likes this.
  8. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    It's been done already:

[​IMG]

9. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    THE HORROR

10. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

This single should be the basis for all the sountrack. And give the big 3 multicolor hair pieces.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Ganger likes this.
  12. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    Williams has used electronic instruments in the scores before, but I don't want a techno soundtrack or anything like that.

I think it's going to be tonally similar to the previous scores, specifically the PT. I think Williams will likely bring back themes from the OT, but I think the new ones will definitely be more similar to the PT. Which is cool with me, because while I love the scores to the OT I generally prefer the PT scores for the non-theme, action score. Good example is Escape from Naboo, which I love.

13. Hydro spanner Celt

Hydro spanner Celt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    Was there not a deep synth sound as Luke entered Jaba's palace , I recall as a purist at the time hating it. Now I don't mind it and it adds to the tension of the scene, nothing wrong with sub bass

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge. Also, thread title cleaned up.

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    ...and hopefully the bigger thread that swalloed it will also erase from memory the awful electronic soundtrack idea.

Luke'sSeveredHand, Dewback and EHT like this.
  16. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Look up ^^^

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    John Williams used minimal synthesizer to help create the otherworldly atmosphere in the Cave Scene on Degabah; the use of it was very subtle. The only time Williams used a synthesizer in any prominent way in Star Wars, was for the In Universe music; like Jabba's Sail Barge. Other than rare moments like those, Williams should keep synthesizers out; give me a real Orchestra any day. I have no doubt that John Williams will write the ST Scores for full Orchesra like usual. He's the Maestro! ^:)^

18. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    There are so many established Star Wars themes that all he really has to do is come up with a few new ones to apply to the new characters/situations and tweak the existing ones to fit the film. For example, we're gonna hear the Imperial March and Skywalker themes again, but they might be re-orchestrated to fit the movie.

19. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

I just read John to start Scoring "Episode VII" in November. YEAHH!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to be in tears when I hear the 1st new music. "Duel of Fates" still gives me chills 15 years later.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm thinking he may be laying down some leit motifs (sp?) for a few of the characters. Some thematic music. Pretty damn exciting!

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014

Wait, MakingStarWars reported that he's starting in the next ten days or so. Is there a new report that the scoring is starting in November?

22. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012

No same reports as Makingstarwars.com and some other sites too. I read two weeks or so it's End of Oct, Early Nov.

23. hachijedi

Feb 22, 2012
    Everyone said that John normally doesn't start till like 6 or so months out. So there must be some significant footage for him to start scoring a year out. This is great news.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think two reasons for starting Early, 1.Episode 7 is almost finished filming may be in less then two weeks. 2.John Williams Advanced Age, say they wait till Fall next year and his health takes a turn for the worse or he dies of old age??

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's not at all morbid. :p