main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

Here someone tried but the sound effects are still in it.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am surprised no one has extracted the Music from the trailer, just the music from the trailer, yet ?....

3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    No.

4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have been listening to the Star Wars Oxygen podcast, in which Jimmy Mac and David W. Collins (ex-Lucasarts audio engineer) review the music of the movies. I have to say everytime I listed to some memorable theme like the Force theme, Yoda´s theme and so on, I wonder what is gonna happen to the franchise once this genius is gone. I mean, who is gonna score such a special music for these films. I love Hans Zimmer, who is the only composer with a comprable reputation, but the style of William´s is simply irreplaceable.

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I just want to point out that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring may be what you're hearing.

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Happy birthday, Maestro. The music would not be the same without you.

The Force will be with you, always.

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Happy Birthday to a major Force in film score-land.

Many more sir!

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Happy Birthday Mr. Williams and many more to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Happy Birthday Mr. Williams,

[​IMG]

John Williams Conducting at the Hollywood Bowl in 2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    He won the work for Book Thief. Never saw the movie or hear the music yet. I have to listen to that.

He composes great stuff in his life. Someone should put up a really long mashup of ALL of his work!

12. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I always knock the PT but I will say this....

One thing I loved about them was some of the themes. Freakin' John Williams gets me.

This one is up their with all my favorites in the OT. I wonder what he comes up with for the ST but I hope he knocks it out of the park. It'll be really really nice to hear Leia's theme coming back more. :)

13. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Happy Belated Birthday, John Williams!
    Here is one of my favorite themes from Star Wars:

It would be an honor to participate in an orchestra to play this great man's music. Unfortunately, I don't know how to play an instrument.

14. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Howard Shore and Alexander Desplat have comparable reputations to Williams.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Do you guys think there will be Prequel Music Callbacks in the new star wars movies, as @Danfromumbrella said even if you don't like the Prequels most fans can agree the John Williams Score was the best part of the Prequels..... ?

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Shore's work on LOTR and The Hobbit trilogies is brilliant, those are my favorite scores of all-time (although I do view Williams as better because he has made iconic scores with many different types of films - Star Wars, Indy, Jurassic Park, Superman, Harry Potter all come to mind off the top of my head).

As for Desplat, I've only heard his stuff in the new Godzilla movie, which I did enjoy - I am not a Godzilla fanatic so I didn't delve too deeply into it - from that though, my favorite piece was the main theme.

17. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Desplat also did the score (much of which was spliced with existing music) for Tree of Life, which I thought was an amazing score.

Agreed on Shore's score for LOTR and TH, though I thought the quality took a dive with BOTFA.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    @Darkslayer at the time of the Original Star Wars in 77 and before 77 Film scores were trending towards Disco Scores, 20th century Fox actually wanted a Disco score for A New Hope. So you might say John Williams brought back the Classic Symphonic Score to Hollywood and without Williams score for star wars Howard Shore or any current Composer in Hollywood now or anytime after 1977 wouldn't even have a career, not to mention If I had to guess Williams has the biggest resume out of anyone in Hollywood ever.

19. Teaser Day

Teaser Day Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Actually, the "teaser theme" is similar to the music in Attack of the Clones.

3:55, it fits perfectly with the X-Wing scene.

And thsi one is similar too.

20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I also got an AOTC vibe from the teaser music. I'm not overly fond of it to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's good, being effectively tense and frightening but it doesn't really stand out. It sounds like countless other filler cues from other John Williams scores (I also got a major Minority Report vibe from it). If it were a track on the OST, I'd skip it 9 times out of 10.
    I have a feeling that more music was recorded at the session (perhaps for future teasers/trailers??). It seems like a lot of trouble to hire an orchestra for less than 88 seconds of new music...

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think they have comparable reputations at all. It's a bit like comparing Peter Jackson to Spielberg... which isn't to say they aren't respected or popular.

First point... I think John Williams will only use themes/leitmotifs from the PT if there is call for it from a narrative/visual perspective e.g. if there's talk of the old Republic/Jedi Order or Anakin/Padme etc. Secondly... I don't agree that the score was the best thing about the prequels (although I thought the music was great)... I think what you mean is that for those that don't like the prequels, they usually appreciate Williams' scores regardless.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  22. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I got a "Jabbas Sand Barge" vibe from the trailer music, but rest assured much more than 88 seconds were recorded in that session."

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It's like "Jabba's Sail Barge" in the style of AOTC with some The Dark Knight Rises thrown in.
    I sure hope so...

sonnyleesmith likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Ha - that's a very good way of describing it... :)

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Darth PJ That is what i meant, people that did not like the Prequels could at least enjoy the soundtrack, so far I have loved all the Movies and all the TV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!