main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    so who's gonna score 8 and 9? will it be JW? god i am staying positive that it will be, anyone else coming in would jar the whole thing

2. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Michael Giacchino, book it. I wouldn't mind him, but for now let's focus our positive energy towards TFA's score shall we? Months to go for that one still...

3. manybothans

manybothans Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Do with this what you will, but a friend around the industry told me he caught a glimpse of the official handwritten manuscript for JW's score for the new film. He said he saw one of the motifs, but couldn't remember any details of it. Not much to go on, but cool to know that a brand new JW score for a Star Wars film exists on paper somewhere in the world, waiting to be brought to life.

manybothans didn't die to bring you this information.

4. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I'm waiting on that glorious moment when news come out that JW has officially scored the entire beastie!

5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I believe him. Soundtrack producer Ford A. Thaxton mentioned something about Williams having already written for three reels (according to his source).

6. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I can't wait for new Themes.

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Should John Williams do Luke related cues/themes now instead of waiting for Episode VIII where presumably there will be alot more Luke Skywalker? This is if rumors are true that Luke Skywalker will barely be in Episode VII. JW is getting older and I hope he stays healthy but I'd hate to have him wait 2 more years.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    @Howard Hand I believe you about the comment by Ford A. Thaxton saying John Williams finished three reels of the score for TFA, but can you tell me where you read that or provide a link please? thank you for any help you can give me on this.

9. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Here's the quote
    And here's the link
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=108258&forumID=1&archive=0

I would take still take this information with a grain of salt, even though Thaxton and his mystery source have proven to be reliable in the past.
    I'm also not exactly sure how long "three reels" would be.

10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel#Motion_picture_terminology
    So according to the rumor, Williams is supposed to have already composed music for the first 33 minutes of The Force Awakens.

Vohnkar, TheBBP and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    @Howard Hand

thank you for the info I asked for!!!!!!!!!!:D
    @ThreeDeathstickProblem
    If true about scoring the first 33 minutes of the film, that's cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

??

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    That's a camera reel. For projection, the average length is 2,000 feet for 22 minutes. An average movie is five reels. If we look at TPM, the movie was six reels long. Thus, if it's correct, then there's over an hour.

14. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    It's totally plausible John Williams is already doing the score. Lets be realistic here, he's 83, yesterday died one of the greats - he was also 83. Maybe it was a deal from the start, he'll work close to J.J. from ground up and they're already in the editing room right now.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I fear he won´t be able to finish this trilogy.

He is the most important piece of the Star Wars saga IMO.

16. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Agreed. And since we're trying to find the right tone for the recent rumors, can you imagine any of the Star Wars scenes without Williams? The very idea gives me shivers. Abrams is probably fighting to find the appropriate emotional beats in the editing room, but not just with the stuff they've shot, but with the stuff that is yet to emerge from the cutting process. Williams is like his guardian angel in said process: 'Don't you worry kiddo, it's gonna be alright, I'm right here beside you.'

Different film makers this time round so it's probably a tighter relationship, in a way that Williams doesn't need to have a fully edited thing to do his magic.

As we're struggling to build these new characters in our minds, Williams is doing a gigantic work to elevate them to something that works along the script lines. He adds emotional layers upon layers to their actions and reactions.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    If it's true, I imagine Abrams would be showing Williams an extremely rough cut with raw on-set footage and storyboards where CGI will be, in order to give him an idea of the plot, thematic content and where to put music. And I too fear this may be the last Williams-scored Star Wars film.

18. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Let's stop all of this doom and gloom talk about Williams. Just enjoy the years we have left with his music.

Anyway, I really hope that we get a relatively comprehensive album release for this. The prequel albums left out a so much music. Some of the missing cues were highlights of their respective scores.

Album woes aside, I'm incredibly excited to hear the first real tidbit from the score. Few things are more exciting to me than hearing the first audio clips from a John Williams score.

Vohnkar, DarthLightlyBruise and m4st4 like this.
  19. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I intend to fully participate in handing my bucks to Disney and Lucasfilm this time round: I'll buy the soundtrack, art book(s), maybe couple of figures as well. Nothing like a full grown man acting like a kid again. [face_clown]

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    To end the doom and gloom talk about Williams age:

GET HYPED!

21. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Interesting. Sounds like a different recording than the prequels or originals.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    So this summer :-B

24. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7