main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    It was definitely the Pit of Carkoon, but there were subtle eerie tones in between each horn blast. In the original, the horn blasts were separated by less than a second of silence.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i compared them and they were different.

3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Even the Star Wars theme was different. It is not the classic one. The teaser music was based on the ROTJ carkoon theme. But it was not the same.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

There's actually an alternate version of the Carkoon theme on the ROTJ Special Edition soundtrack. It sounds a bit more similar to the TFA teaser music

5. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    It's definitely got influence from that theme but it's definitely new music. The official Star Wars Twitter confirmed as much when the clip was released.

I loved that music. If that's any indication of where williams is at im stoked. When kylo enters the subtle ambient music there was really forboding.

vinsanity, El_Machete12, Jcuk and 3 others like this.
  6. manybothans

manybothans Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Also keep in mind that the LSO hasn't been the same group of players since 1977. As the personnel changes, so too does the sound. As someone else pointed out, good players are good players anywhere, whether in London or Los Angeles.

As for who could take over for Williams, Giacchino would probably be the best bet, especially if Abrams sticks around. I think the spin-offs will have a rotating list of composers, as their music will probably differ greatly from the central saga.

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yeah I listened to it again finally paying special attention to the music. The tones in the background were indeed moody. I agree if Williams can get that kind of feel from just the teaser, what he will do with the rest is going to once again be incredible.

The thing about Williams is that he can watch a sequence, know just a little bit about where the director is going and create the perfect music. If there ever comes a point where he himself cannot be the one to actually conduct it, that won't be a problem. The vision and color he creates seems to be so automatic.

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Then they are fools... It's a completely new piece. It certainly has similarities to previous work, primarily because it's Williams... but for anyone familiar with Williams scores, they'll recognise it more as a standard Williams non thematic action cue, similar to many he's used in JP, HP, IJ and of course SW. :)

propeller and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    what about the composer for THE CLONE WARS, and The Rebels? I wouldn't mind If he took over for Williams he already has experience with Star Wars ....

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I don't think you can equate scoring for Rebels or Clone Wars to scoring a major motion picture.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Star Wars Is Star Wars, Clone Wars, and Rebels Is very cinematic....

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Not necessarily... it depnds on what experience he has in scoring a circa 2 hour feature, experience in composing original material, experience in orchestration (scoring for size of orchestra involved, conducting size of orchestra etc.). Not saying they haven't got that experience, but it is a different beast and doing one doesn't automatically qualify you for the other.... :)

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well he has done a ton of Made For TV movies, and Minnie Series, His only Theatrical film was The Clone Wars Movie. I got this info on IMDB Take it with a,
    [​IMG]

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Best piece of music (and scene) from the teaser for me.

15. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Rest assured that there will absolutely not be a drop in quality with from the LSO to the "freelance" orchestra. There's a lot of great LA guys that are world-class musicians, especially when it comes to pops and soundtrack stuff. Any worries about the quality of musicianship are completely unfounded.

sethg and LunarMoth like this.
  16. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I sure hope not. Kiner's Star Wars work is weak.

17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  18. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Not wrong. It is new. It's definitely influenced by that one though. Williams has written many similar themes with unique twists to them.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Abraaaaaaaaaams!!!!!!

starocean90 likes this.
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    told you it was JJ's fault.:p

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Heh, I'm not sure. Abrams supposedly battled Iger to push for more time to get everything right. Given that the LSO says Williams was clearly upset about this, the decision seems a bit at odds with that impulse. So if not for JW's benefit, I can only imagine the choice - whomever made it - was based on time constraints. And that sucks.

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm sure it'll still be incredibly epic.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally feel that you can totally hear when different orchestra's have been used e.g. the difference in the Indiana Jones scores. It has no bearing on the quality of the scoring or orchestration per se, but it is different. Anyone who knows there orchestral music quite well will tell you that every orchestra has a different tone and feel, and not one performance will be exactly the same. So, there will be a tangible difference... but for 99.9% of listeners, it won’t be disenable, or it won't be important enough to them to be discernible.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

We will either get the story in a Rinzler book or never know at all. ;)

25. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014

For the musically inclined like myself, this is absolutely true.

Darth PJ likes this.