main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams scored TFA - incl. Soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vastor, Apr 30, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm actually Hans Zimmer.[face_devil]

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It's the theme of "great performances." Until now I didn't know it was composed by Williams.

3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It might be that he was just conducting it. Thanks!

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Well it specifically said "composed and conducted by John Williams" on the screen at 0:44 into the video.

Thanks for sharing the link, gotta find time to watch this.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I thought you were saying JW died :(....

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we're all already dead.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    JW= John Williams that is what I meant, and I did not originally say that,
    @ThreeDeathstickProblem originally said it........

8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    If Episode VIII is coming out May 2017 wouldn't he be scoring Episode VIII as early as next fall?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    ...dead sexy

Mr_Thompson likes this.
  10. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    http://www.jwfan.com/?p=7859
    John Williams has cancelled yet another concert due to "back issues". It appears as though his health is declining. :(
    This combined with the odd statement from Iger saying that he'd seen the film "without most of its music", I wonder if we'll still get a full score from him.

11. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Link?

12. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Xinau likes this.
  13. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Getting the orchestra to rehearse and record each piece of music takes time.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I don't think that necessarily means much. The sound mix is usually pretty much the last thing to do... I would think the score will be added sometime in October maybe?

However, if JW's health is on the slide maybe we'll have to face VIII and IX without him? :(

15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Before panic gets out of hand, here is the actual cancellation e-mail I received (I had purchased a ticket to said concert):

"

Dear Patron,

John Williams regretfully has had to cancel his upcoming appearances at Tanglewood for Tanglewood on Parade on August 4 and Film Night on August 22, due to a back ailment that requires him to rest and limit travel over the next few weeks. Mr. Williams is expected to recover soon and return to his conducting work in the coming weeks. BSO Music Director Andris Nelsons will lead the Boston Pops in Williams' "Throne Room and Finale" from Star Wars during Tanglewood on Parade on August 4. Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart will join conductor David Newman to lead John Williams' Film Night on August 22."

I hope you all appreciate the bolded part ;)

16. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    There's still a chance that they could be covering up something more serious though. In that Comic-Cone TFA video, Williams' voice sounded much weaker than it usually does. That combined with the long dry-spell for news about the score are worrying to me.
    Anyway, I'll stop this fear-mongering (especially since it is relatively hypocritical since I was the one who said I was tired of people fear mongering about Williams' age).

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yeah I think you're overthinking. He's 83 so he can't move around like he once could. He's written the score. He doesn't have to conduct it nor does he even have to record it. Not sure what you mean by a dry spell. What are we supposed to know about the score at this point?

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I wouldn't worry about him canceling too much. Conducting is a lot of standing and a lot of twisting, it's very hard on the back. If he's hurt his back, it would be very hard to conduct.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  19. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    When I was 29 I had a "back ailment" that made me miss work for an entire month (and that was only a desk job). I wouldn't get too worked up about this.

dekaneas and Darth_Articulate like this.
  20. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm more worried that there's another, more serious ailment that he hasn't let on about. His voice sounded considerably weaker in that SDCC video.

21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Oh... Sad news. Very sad news. The SDCC comments got me really worried. But let´s face it, the Maestro is 83 years old. At this age anything can happen. Let´s hope he can finish TFa soundtrack and he is fully recovered for the next one.

dekaneas likes this.
  22. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Hmm. It's not necessarily terrible news - back ailments happen all the time to people of all ages - but of course, he is 83 years old, and this has happened at a very difficult stage of the process. Four months out from release is not really a time where you can afford to lose your composer, so I suspect there will be people covering for him.

And I have to admit it's getting increasingly hard to imagine the prospect of him doing VIII and IX.

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    He can still write the music without conducting. In fact many composers don't conduct.

dekaneas likes this.
  24. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    He's going to be fine, he has to be.

25. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I don't know about that. At 83, nobody is guaranteed to be fine. Even if he does recover, we're not guaranteed a compete score from him, as we don't know the specific timeline or extent of his illness. It's possible that he could have been incapacitated at a critical time in the film's post-production.
    Am I being pessimistic? Yes, but I'd rather be pessimistic now than be even more disappointed later should my predictions come true. Once we've received official word that the scoring process is done, I'll relax but for now, I'm going to be really cautious with my enthusiasm.