main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Join my site" Requests

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by MaxVeers, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    There are many ways to advertise your website and "Join my site" in the subject line is probably one of the least effective. A better idea is to describe the name and content of your website. That will give people much better cause to join your site than following a request or demand.

With three threads in a row titled this way, none of them distinguishable from the others, I thought this suggestion was worth pointing out.

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Could you make this a sticky thread? :)

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Agreed. It also helps to have some unique feature, and some reason that people should join that site instead of the hundreds of others that are the exact same.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I feel this could use an upping.

If you pay any attention to regular advertising, you will notice that ads rarely just say "buy this product". They describe the features, and build a case as to why the target audience should want to buy their product. They might compare and contrast it to a competing product, or they might explain "what you'll love" about using the product.

Likewise, instead of just telling people to visit your site, explain why they should want to. People might visit once or twice out of pity, but if you really want people to take an honest look around, explain what they should be looking for, and why they should want to become frequent visitors.

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    And if you're struggling to find those unique features Jeff mentions, your site might need some more work before it's worth advertising.

6. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Very good advice. I notice all too often that people say "Here is my site, it's not done yet though. Join in on the fun!" which means absolutely nothing. That is like saying, "Buy this shampoo. It's not actually finished yet, so it has the potential to burn your skull." Now, would anyone want to buy that product?

7. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    *Bump*

This should be stickyed

8. aanJake

aanJake Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2005
    Hi I just registered today. *waveseses*

I'm trying to advertise a site of mine, and it involves Star Wars roleplay, so I thought I'd see if anyone here is interested. It takes place after the Galactic Civil War, when the Jedi have relocated to Yavin IV. I know it will be a lot more fun when more people join in on the roleplay, so please check it out (it also has Wheel of Time roleplay, if you've read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan). Here's the address: http://thewinespringin.7.forumer.com

Also, let me reccomend a site of a friend of mine, also largely Star Wars roleplay:

http://jediacadamey.12.forumer.com

Please give them a try!

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Sites! I think you forgot to post the links though. ;)

Good luck!

10. aanJake

aanJake Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2005
  11. QuiteGone-Jinn

QuiteGone-Jinn Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2005
    Hey guys. I've establish a Star Wars Roleplaying and Training Site. If you want to visitm here's the link:

12. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    There is no link there. Also, don't post your websites in this thread. Make a new thread about them, that way your stuff won't get bogged down with other peoples. You will have a thread to yourself.

13. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Hey guys i also have a site its going to be mostly for RP but there are many activities u can do there its modeled after GS, Its Called Legion of the Sith! Well thx 4 tha help guys and plz join heres a LINK. [face_peace]

14. uwishuwereme

uwishuwereme Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 2005
    Hey guys i got a different site now with RP's many board skins and i can make u a mod if u join here it is, Brotherhood Broken Forum Brotherhood Broken

15. DATAKILL

DATAKILL Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks for the advice in the first post of the thread. I do not own one of my own, but am a mod on a very new one and have been trying to find cool new people to join.

The site doesn't have a strict storyline yet, and the RP isn't up yet. We need some more members before we do that, so that it'll be cooler than just 3 dudes posting to echother, right?

We need to fix some details too, like the credit system (money) and stuff like that. But the intent was to get members while we fix it (and perhaps even get suggestions from them) and set up the RP when we got enough players.

So if this sounds at least remotely cool, check it out. Also, if you have a lot of experience with mking this kind of RP sites, just register and PM our admin with some advice please. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Now it's time for me to shut up and give the damn link already LOL

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Star_Wars_Haven/index.php?act=idx

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

17. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Just getting this thread active again by saying I will be putting together a more detailed "Fan Sites Guide to Better Posting" either in a new thread or in the new Webmaster Resources thread. It's up to DV. Look for it soon. [face_dancing]

18. Obi-gone

Obi-gone Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Greetings. I'm looking to recruit some members for my fan site, Lair of the Jedi. If anyone is interested, feel free to join.

Lair of the Jedi: http://dragnossorr.proboards57.com/index.cgi

19. Darth_Culler

Darth_Culler Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2005
    And here's my RPG forum! It takes place in the Clone Wars, but there's a sub-board for non-Clone Wars battles. You can find it here.
    Argh! The link won't work!!!

20. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    If you guys would be so kind as to read through a thread before posting in it, you will see that this thread is for tips on posting your fan sites not for posting your fan sites. Please make a separate thread to show us your site.

Thank you ;)

21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.