main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Joining the Rebellion???

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by sjjediknight, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjjediknight

sjjediknight Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2001
    Good afternoon, I was very excited to see a local chapter and hope that I can perhaps attend one of your gatherings. I have been a fan since the original films were released, but went into hyperdrive upon reading the Heir to the Empire Trilogy...

Is this the best vehicle to stay in touch or is there a email newsletter to join?

Thanks for your time and MTFBWY all.

SJ

2. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    hello SJ, welcome to rhode squadron :)

this board is the heart of our communications and we also have a website which has info on us as well as info on upcoming and past meets/events.

our next meet is this saturday (feb 15) at noon at the providence place mall, to go see the new daredevil movie. maybe you can make it? :)

PS - what part of the great ocean state are ya from?

3. sjjediknight

Feb 11, 2001
    Idarii,

Thanks for the reply and the kind invite. I have another appointment that I can't resolve for Saturday, but would enjoy meeting the group. I am up in North Providence. Do you also enjoy the expanded universe or are you more of a "purist?"

Again thanks for your chapter and replying,
    SJ

4. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i myself enjoy certain aspects of the EU (basically everything but the NJO)... some very cool characters have come from it. i find i enjoy stories about the old republic alot, like ulic qel droma era stories...but it is also interesting to see leia become a jedi later on.

well i'm sorry to hear you can't make it on saturday but we've got plenty of activities and suggestions for future dates, and hoefully you can make it to one of those :)

5. sjjediknight

Feb 11, 2001
    As far as the NJO is concerned I am currently reading Destiny's Way, but have had it with this plot line. I believe in the next few books they will finally end the Vahn and move perhaps back into battling the sith or even the Empire????
    I loved the old republic DH comic series. Wish they would develop some fiction in that era as is it off the scale as far as fantasy is concerned as well as SCI-FI.

Thanks again for your kind invite...

6. Domina_Tagge

Domina_Tagge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Welcome! Nice to have another RI Jedi on board.

I am similar to Carrie in my EU preferences, I like everything except the NJO. They lost me after the Black Fleet Crisis, heh. I was a Marvel Comics fan back in the day, so I have really been EU at heart since the 70s. ;)

Mary

7. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    yeah the vong don't do it for me, it's an interesting concept but they're a little too hard of an obstacle to overcome.

gimme that ol' jedi vs sith action any day ;)

8. sjjediknight

Feb 11, 2001
    My first taste into the EU was Splinter of a Mind's Eye. I seem to be much older than most of this group and saw ANH in it's first release...Splinter came out before ESB was released and most of us though that it was what the movie would be based upon. I have not read any Marvel comics, only DH. I guess I have missed out on some good fuel for my fire.

Thanks for the welcome...

9. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Lucky for you, DH has been reprinting the old Marvel series in trade paperbacks! I highly recommend picking them up! Sure, some of the stories are outlandish, but it's great fun!

Lumiya rocks!

10. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    ah i still have some of the old marvel books - only the ones based on ANH, not any of the EU ones (i'm assuming by mary's posts there were EU marvel ones)

i am a big fan of dark horse's stuff though, i think the art and (most of) the stories are really engaging. i particularly liked "the stark hyperspace war" and "the devaronian version" (which i highly recommend, as it is hysterical)

happy v day and all that :p

11. sjjediknight

Feb 11, 2001
    Thanks for the sage advice on which comics to purchase... will give them a look see.
    Have a great time tomorrow...

12. Domina_Tagge

Domina_Tagge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    "Splinter" did bad things to my little mind at a young age, LOL. I read it before ROTJ came out. I was like "Ugh! That's his sister! Bleck! Bleck!!" Still, I enjoyed it, and I reread it every once in a while.

Dex, I am collecting the Marvel Dark Horse reissues slowly but surely. I have the first two. My favorite storylines were Lumiya/Shira Brie and the Mandalorians (If the Mandalorians don't live in hollowed out skeletons, I will be so disappointed!), and the early ones between ANH and ESB. Riders in the Void (38?) is probably my favorite of all.

peace all, happy weekend!
    Mary

13. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes Carrie, back in the day, long before the term EU ever was. LOL After issue #6 (the finale of ANH) the story continued! Things not being what they are today, Marvel pretty much had free run of doing whatever they wanted to some conflicts show up, but the comics were fun.
    Telepathic space-bunnies, anyone?

:D

14. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    telepathic space bunnies?! sounds remotely bucky o'hare-ish to me :p

15. sjjediknight

Feb 11, 2001
    Alan Dean Foster did not have a sanction from George I am sure for writing splinter, but for a 16 year old at the time it was really cool to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.