main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

joint x-mas meet?

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by darth_frared, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    we were bouncing around ideas the morning after the bbq, among them an x-mas meet that would involve north east and west.

the thing about the x-mas meet is that you don't want it to be too costly (i think we are all aware of not having won a quiz lately :p ) and not just a meal because that would be fairly silly to drive cross country simply to eat together...

so we were thinking...

and then some more thinking...

while riding through harrogate i saw an indian restaurant in a converted church and i kinda thought that would be a bit more x-massy than, say, the curry mile in mc'r. i don't know anything else about harrogate and all the same i wanted to give everyone a chance to opining about the matter.

we kinda thought that these things can of course be done separately, it's not a lot of trouble to get us three NW people organized for a night out i feel, it may be nicer, though, to do something together.

that's it. leave your message after the beep :D

2. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    There are some good bars in Harrogate, but it's got a pretty poo transport system! There are trains there from York and Leeds, but it's an hourly service except during the peak hours (early morning and early evening).

It isn't a bad place to go to mind - but it would mean everyone travelling there and then having to go home - if we could do it somewhere where people can crash (albeit my place is probably not too far away to make it viable for crashing).

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    Damn, you beat me to it Darth Frared ;)

Aye, you have got one thing right and that it is not worth people traveling miles just for a meal. If we did do a Christmas meet we should make a day out of it, meaning we'd have to stay in a hotel or crash at someones house.
    Should we do this in say L'pool/M'chester, N'castle/Boro areas, or do we go somewhere like York or Leeds?

Another cool idea would be to have a party at someones house [face_peace]

4. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    Good Idea for a Christmas meet But why does it have to be a an indian restaurant ?
    would'nt be better to ask people for there idea's where to go

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Dave not to be funny but that's the point of the thread, to come up with ideas and alternatives :p

6. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    as much as I love curry (and I do - hmmm chicken sagg) but it does come across sometimes that curry is the pre-determine meal of an FFUK:N meet - variety is the spice (not indian spice) of life

I must admit I quite fancy a trip over to the NW - but York may prove easier for everyone to get to, as it's a major station and pretty central for NE & NW

great idea though Martina [face_peace]

think on this we must.....

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I really fancy a full Christmas dinner with all the trimings or a buffet :p

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I think a proper Xmas meal this time round rather than a curry would be a good idea. I'm sure we could find a place that does a vegetarian Xmas menu for our resident veggies.

9. Ranouch_Heath

Dec 5, 2006
    Thank you Chris You said that much better than I would !

Personaly I think if we did a York or Leeds meet its more central for ALL FFUK North members to attend rather than Newcastle,

10. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Last night I was thinking, though I'd have to ask the folks. I was thinking of offering my home as somewhere to hold a Xmas meet.
    My only real problem is that (and please don't laugh) I'm a little ashamed of where I live, it is really a wretched hive of scum and villainy. If you want to go Chav and Scally spoting, this is the place. Also my family leaves something to be desired.

I know it's a bit sad I feel this way but I hate for guys to be uncomfortable there or worse, think less of me [face_blush]

It's a real shame cos we've got room to hold a few people.

11. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    York will always get my vote - hey I could even organise it! My house is not huge, but provided people can make the most of floor space and couches I can probably sleep upto 5 maybe 6 people.

But so long as i get enough advance i can pretty much do anytime anywhere, :)

12. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    twas meant to gather ideas, yes, rather than say we do this or that. i personally like the outlandishness of having a xmas dinner at an indian restaurant, after all you did this last year already.

but yeah, whatever we agree on :)

i'd maybe like to combine this with a celebration of my bday as well, that would make it around the 5th, preferrably after.

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm happy for a central location like York or Leeds to hold the dinner in. If we get down there during the day, there's still time and reasonable distance for anyone who needs to get home to do so on the evening.

14. Ranouch_Heath

Dec 5, 2006
    York is more Central for the Northern Members to get then ! But where to go ?
    how about Yates anyone [face_mischief]

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Leeds is technically more central than York is, but the location is up to everyone to decide.

As for where to go, it depends on what's within our price range, who will do vegetarian meals and other considerations. I'm not sure if there are any Toby Carveries in the areas, plus I'm not sure they even cater for vegetarians. It's something to consider. I personally would prefer a restaurant to anything else.

16. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    If we do York - we can do oh so much better than Yates - are you mental? :p

Leeds is good to - I know where all the stri- best eateries are.

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Aye nothing wrong with going to somewhere nice that can cover all our needs.

I don't mind puting a little bit more in for a big meal.

18. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I'd vote York for this one since we'd have just been to Manchester the month before wouldn't we.

19. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm fine with York too. Love the place, and I know a little hotel which is reasonably priced (better than PTI, Ibis and Travelodge), near the railway station. I'll stay there, so I'm free to wander on my own. But for meal and other things, we'd neet to really start booking asap - I am fine with a vegetarian full Christmas meal if that's what people vote for. Martina - my family actually always have a curry usually just before Christmas Day - can't remember if it's Christmas Eve - becoming a traditional thing to do lol.

This is how December shapes up - does 15/16th weekend look the most do-able? Not sure when I am in work till (could very well be that weekend), will need to check that out.

December 2007
    1 Sa
    2 Su

3 Mo
    4 Tu
    5 We
    6 Th
    7 Fr
    8 Sa
    9 Su

10 Mo
    11 Tu
    12 We
    13 Th
    14 Fr
    15 Sa
    16 Su

17 Mo
    18 Tu
    19 We
    20 Th
    21 Fr
    22 Sa
    23 Su

24 Mo
    25 Tu Christmas Day
    26 We
    27 Th
    28 Fr
    29 Sa
    30 Su

31 Mo

Nothing listed on the official York site yet for December in terms of special stuff on - http://www.visityork.org/whatson/
    Will keep an eye on it.

Jase - do you know if there will be another run of Mystery Plays anytime in next year or so? Would love to go back to see that.

20. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Ooh, I'll check to see if its on but the York has a great Panto every year.

Edit: http://www.yorktheatreroyal.co.uk/cgi/events/events.cgi?t=template&a=260 check it out. I've been to so many of these and never been disapointed.

21. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Or maybe not :p

Tim as for dates, should we try to get it close to Martinas b'day. Or do we have a small meet jusy for her?

22. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    [Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!![/Vader] [face_beatup]

panto not really my thing

tbh a pint and a burger (turkey after all it'll be Xmas) would do me

23. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    But it wouldn't be christmas without panto :eek: Besides, this isn't like a crappy local panto with has-been actors and x-factor rejects. The Theater royal pantos have been going for years all original stories (based on a common panto theme granted) written by Berwick Kaler and performed by the same cast who all work fantastically together.

But if people don't go for it I may stick around and go the next day if there are only one or two ppl interested. If not I got a few friends up there I'm sure I can drag along.

24. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I really think this meet would survie if we didn't go to a panto.

25. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Fine. lets just go for a beer and a curry again then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.