Amph Jon Stewart to direct movie this summer; John Oliver will take over The Daily Show for several weeks

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Story here

To be honest, I'm okay with this, and besides, he can't be The Daily Show host forever, so this is probably a dry-run for it and when it does eventually happens.
    Last edited by NYCitygurl, Mar 5, 2013
  2. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    12? Yikes. And Oliver is probably the best of the current correspondents to take over (I remember Colbert and Corddry filling in before), with Mandvi in second.

And I doubt Stewart is going to retire any time soon. He's still only about 50... unless this directing thing works out, I guess.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Mar 5, 2013
    CaptainRegor likes this.
  3. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    As someone who listens to the podcast that John Oliver does (The Bugle), then I can honestly say the show is in great hands.
  4. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nooooooooo. I mean, i'm happy for Stewart, but to me, he is the Daily Show. And I"m just not a big John Oliver fan.
  5. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    John Oliver filling in for Jon Stewart? Interesting, maybe I'll start watching again this week.
    Last edited by Alpha-Red, Mar 5, 2013
  6. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. Oliver is funny in his own way, but I don't know if he can carry the whole show. Jon Stewart pretty much created the Daily Show, and it'll be big shoes to fill.
  7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit Force Ghost

star 6
    **** you chris
  8. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master

star 3
    I always feel like Oliver just tries too hard. He doesn't have that natural comedic grace that Colbert, Ed Helms, and Cordry do/did. These three were the best Daily Show anchors ever, IMO. Asif, Jason, and Wyatt would be my next-best tier (though Wyatt's now left the show :( ).

Edit:

Also, Oliver's bad teeth often distract me.
    Last edited by Ezio Skywalker, Mar 5, 2013
  9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit Force Ghost

star 6
    fail
  10. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    With Oliver filling in, do we get Patrick Stewart back as correspondent?
  11. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I dunno, when Helms was on Daily Show I mostly thought of him as the guy who wasn't Colbert but was doing a Colbert impression.
  12. Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master

star 3
    I suppose I could see that.
  13. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    haha YES!
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Huh, the movie sounds interesting. It's interesting that he's going for a drama and not a comedy. Could be a real stretch for Stewart.
  15. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    THIS!
    Last edited by Sauntaero, Mar 6, 2013
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I just met Jon Stewart two days ago. I can't believe he didn't tell me about this.

Is this a comedy or an Argo style political thriller? Hard to tell from the subject matter, although the title and Jon Stewart suggest comedy.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Mar 6, 2013
  17. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Huh. I like the sound of this. I like Oliver, so seeing him host will be different, but I look forward to it. Though I do wonder if a higher dose than usual will get grating.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    This is interesting news. I'm very curious to see what Stewart can do. I doubt he'd ever give up The Daily Show as host, but I could certainly see him taking a few weeks off every summer to make a film is this directing career works out for him.

Not surprised that Oliver is filling in- they've quite obviously been grooming him to be top-correspondent for the last couple years. Shy of somehow convicning Colbert to pull double duty, he's the obvious choice (though I'd love to see Kristen Schaal or Samantha Bee take a crack at it).
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Suzuki_Akira Force Ghost

star 7
    not sure if trolling
  20. CaptainRegor Jedi Master

star 2
    Best of luck to Stewart to bad his gone this summer one of the highligst of the summer vacation is watching that show online I know it airs all year but something special about the summer
  21. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I don't know if there's an official "Daily Show" thread or not, but did anyone else just see the segment on Russia??!?!

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
  22. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It's going to be weird without Jon around.
  23. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Did anybody see Thursday's episode of The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart tore apart the "new" CNN?

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

It's too bad they didn't make fun of HLN for having a masked dominatrix woman as a talking head "expert" for that whole Jodi Arias thing, in the middle of the afternoon I might add. I was thinking WTF? when I saw that flipping through the channels one day.

"Mommy, is that masked lady a superhero?"

"No she isn't! Now go play!"
    The2ndQuest likes this.