Jon Stewert: There is no more fight between left and right, only extremist and moderates...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    People are just as intolerant as other people.

I don't think you can classify and one group as more or less intolerant than another.
  2. Penguin-of-Justice Jedi Youngling

It seems to be, a LOT of liberals, especially on this board, are extremely intolerant of people with different viewpoints. I dont see things like this as much on the conservative side. Conservatives, that I know both in RL and on this board, tend to be on average more polite. In RL I also know many liberalish people who I get along with fine, but lots of liberals are soooo liberal and arrogant and intolerant, ugh.

I was going to mention names, but I wont.
  3. Darth Fierce Jedi Master

star 4
    Penguin, since these are your first posts in the Senate (and you just registered), and yet are knowledgeable about the people that post here, should we assume you are one of those people who watched for a long time before registering? Or are you using a different username than you usually do?
  4. ktwsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I find that most liberals and conservatives have a thinly-veiled 'boy you're a moron' approach to debates.
  5. Red-Seven Manager Emeritus

star 5
  6. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And you know what? I'm a liberal (even if I can't vote yet) and you know who I'm intolerant of? Those who try to force their beliefs upon other people! Such as religious people who feel the need to try and forcibly convert others.
  7. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    What about Liberals who feel the need to force their political views upon those who see things differently?? Are you intolerant of them as well??
  8. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I am intolerant of anyone who forces their beliefs on others. Although I am more annoyed by people who force religious views than political views. Of course, I find both extremely liberal and extremely conservative people scarrrry.
  9. Obi-Wan McCartney Force Ghost

star 5
    "Gee....thats exactly like you, except your on the wrong side."

Hey, that kind of stings! I wouldn't even expect a not so subtle put down like that from Red-Seven! :)

No really, it's not like me, because I never said that the entire Republican party and it's constituency was bad, and I never put down people who question the government. Like some of you may know I worked for a Republican Congressman last summer, and I thought he was fantastic, and Richard Nixon in part inspired me to go to Law School! Just wanted to repeat, although I tend to argue for the liberal side, especially on social issues, but I respect men and women from all sides of the political spectrum.
  10. JediBeowulf Jedi Master

star 3
    I am what you consider a dead-on center, mid-ranged individual. I agree with the right on some things and the left on others. I believe that both have important views on some issues, and idiotic views on most other issues.

However...in my non-partisan, un-biased observations, I have seen that liberals tend to be more voiciferous and vicious on their attacks on people that do not agree with them (mostly against conservatives). To liberals, people who do not agree with them are obviously wrong and are either crazed "nazis" or incoherant imbeciles. While I myself have seen examples of this amongst people I know, one does not need look far to see further examples of this than to the media, which as a whole, tends to make a mockery of or ridicule certain differing viewpoints.

If this isn't intolerance, then I don't know what is.

11. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's not really fair to judge all liberals by the media. There's a certain attitude they have, but I think it has more to do with working in the media than their political views.
  12. Darth Fierce Jedi Master

star 4
  13. TreeCave Jedi Master

star 4
    Look, in the 80's when I was a teen, I thought conservatives were snotty beyond belief. Then as I got older I realized that was just because I was living in one of the most ignorant hellholes on earth, the populace of which happened to have chosen Republican politics to use as a weapon against everyone who didn't beg to fit in. If they'd chosen to be Moonies and use that to hurt people, I'd have gotten the impression Moonies were the meanest creatures on earth.

This is ALL so point of view, guys.
  14. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Good point, Gay-Len. Perspective is important with these things, I think.
  15. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Um, Gay-len hasn't posted in this thread. The person who posted prior to you was TreeCave, not Gay-len.
  16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    You're right [face_blush].

My error.

Correction: Good point, Treecave :).
  17. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    I am intolerant of anyone who forces their beliefs on others. Although I am more annoyed by people who force religious views than political views.

What constitutes forcing your beliefs on someone? Do you include those who offer to share what they believe (in a respectful manner) as people who force their beliefs on others?

I've been accused of doing this before and I've always been perplexed by that claim. I have offered to explain my beliefs (specifically religious, but also political), but I have never tried to force them on others. I've also tried to promote understanding of others' beliefs (such as the time that a jewish friend invited me to celebrate Passover with him to better understand his beliefs). At what point is someone starting to force their beliefs on someone else, instead of respectfully sharing them?

Kimball Kinnison
  18. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm talking about the people who say, "You better believe in what I'm believing in, or you're going to burn in Hell!"
  19. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    And how often does that happen to you? You might want to inform the person telling you that to read their Bible.
  20. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You better believe in what I'm believing in, or you're going to burn in Hell!
  21. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    Cydonia ,
    I won't worship your big pink fluffy ducky shoes, so leave me alone and let me burn!
  22. TreeCave Jedi Master

star 4
    To those of you who only respectfully share your views in hopes of giving others enlightenment, I just want to let you know there really ARE weirdos out there who literally harrass strangers, yelling at them in public and so on. You may not run into them because of where you live or perhaps because they start off pleasantly, asking if you've found salvation or something, and you say "yes" (which, by the way, I've found is a great trick).

It's unfortunate if you've been lumped in with those people - the people who are "offended" by you are probably oversensitized due to attacks from true zealots. So I think the problem is neither you guys NOR the person "offended" by you - the problem is really the zealots who make them feel religion is about embarrassing people in public.

I've seen people grab arms and demand "Have you bee saved?" I've seen one person disruptively lecture everyone in a shop on how a recent tornado was God's way of telling everyone to shape up - and then when someone said emotionally that their daughter-in-law had lost her house in that tornado, the zealot suggested the daughter led some sort of immoral lifestyle, obviously.

People like that.... wow, the label "extremists" fits like a glove. ;)
  23. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's never happened to me personally, no, but there are people who do that, yes.
  24. Maveric Force Ghost

star 4
    But if it has never happened to you, why does it bother you so? Life is hard enough without us imposing further complications on it.
  25. WiseOldProphet Jedi Padawan

He that would live in peace and at ease, must not speak all he knows, nor judge all he sees.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.