main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jorus C'baoth

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    So I am curious why Palpatine decided to clone Jorus to gaurd his facility on Wayland. Based on what I have read it seams Jorus would have been easy to turn to the dark side. As seen in OF, he would eventually reach that path on his own. So why would Palpatine bother with a clone when the real deal was within reach? In my opinion, Jorus could have easily stood in Dooku's role in AotC.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Probably could have, as a more Maul-esque apprentice. But no way could Jorus have gotten (and kept together) the Confederacy like Dooku did. That's the main reason why Dooku was chosen...because he was good at politics, with enough of a reputation to get the Confeds together and keep them that way. Jorus (or his clone) were far too headstrong to pull that off IMO.

EDIT: A note though...its been quite a while since I've read Outbound Flight or TTT...I could be wrong. That's just going off my memory.

Vialco and thesevegetables like this.
  3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea I am re-reading TTT now and that's what sparked it. It just seems odd Palpatine would kill Jorus and not take advantage of the potential there...

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe because he knew from Jorus's time as his "Jedi Advisor" that Jorus was way too arrogant to accept a subordinate position.

Hence cloning him instead of recruiting him.

In Outbound Flight Jorus is extremely skeptical when told that a Darth Sidious had a warning about a dangerous threat, saying "It's a Sith name, and the Sith have long vanished from the galaxy. That makes him a liar from the start."

So what does he think Qui-Gon died fighting, on Naboo? An impostor?

Vialco and thesevegetables like this.
  5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    True. At that point it was probably common knowledge, at least to the Jedi, that the Sith had returned. Not sure what he thought happened to Qui-Gon...

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mace & Yoda are pretty sure in the TPM closing moments. However I suppose that other Jedi could have been skeptical of Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon's claims. Ki-Adi-Mundi says "Impossible- the Sith have been extinct for a millennium" in the novel, when Qui-Gon makes the claim that the guy he fought on Tatooine was Sith.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Jorus had the seeds of darkness, but it was an extremely proud, "I am right and superior and everything I do is right" kind of downfall that he was set up for. Which doesn't necessarily mesh with a conscious turn to the dark side and embrace of the Sith. When he believes so strongly in the Jedi that it's a problem for him, why risk trying to turn him and potentially have him tip off the Jedi? It's too big a risk. Palpatine only goes to Anakin, whom he's been grooming for over a decade, and Dooku, who has rejected the Jedi and is looking for something better (and whom Palpatine may have been nudging and prodding his way previously). Jorus doesn't fit that pattern. It's possible that Palpatine could find a way to work on him, and might have put forth the effort to do so (or more likely had Dooku do it) had Jorus survived to the Clone Wars, but it's not worth it. So he gets some of his genetic material and makes a more malleable clone instead. Best of both worlds.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I also read on wookiepedia that prior to 33BBY, Jorus was a personal aide to Palpatine. So maybe Palpatine was trying to get a feel for him back then, and realized it wouldn't be a good fit?

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Equally possible is Palpatine is the one who fried Jorus' brain.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what I figured:

Ironically, many of the ideas Obi-Wan was shocked to hear C'baoth voicing, are to a degree right- older children can become Jedi, Jedi can govern others without crossing into the Dark Side (Brand from Dark Empire), and so on.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I figure he just rolled his eyes: "The true Sith are still dead. The fact a Padawan beat this one proves these 'Sith' are phonies."

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems as good an interpretation as any.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Good, but wrong. Maybe Jorus was jealous. Haters gonna hate..

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So was the Jorus clone the original guardian? He claimed that he killed the guardian when confronted by Thrawn. Was he just bs-ing them?

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He was all crazy and stuff.

16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So he was almost trying to elevate himself above just being another one of Palpatine's tools. He wanted to act like he was above the original purpose/status he was giving. Sounds like the something the original Jorus would do, I guess.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Psadans and the other group, when explaining the history of Wayland to Luke & Mara, also claim that "The Jedi Master" killed "The Guardian".

18. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So does that mean there really was another guardian?

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That, or he's been doing a certain amount of memory-modifying.

20. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I took that from Wookie so I can't guarantee how accurate it is having not read the encylopedia myself.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    If that's true, then does that change anything? Was Jorus a clone in the facility that matured and killed the guardian?

22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Do we know for sure that it was Palpatine that had Jorus cloned? Could he have been cloned by the Kaminoans, perhaps, and intended to help defend Kamino? Or by other cloners (and there was at least one alternative to Kamino) as an experiment, to see if Jedi could be cloned?

23. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook claims C'baoth and the Guardian were one and the same, for what it's worth.

IIRC, the Kaminoans were against the idea of cloning Jedi.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Back in the day, I originally just figured there were multiple C'baoth clones, and that Joruus was simply the one who proved king of the hill after beating up all the rest.

I later grew fond of the idea he was just schizophrenic and had been having arguments with the mirror.

Whereas these days I wouldn't be surprised if the Guardian was some giant resurrected undead maggot. :p

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No they weren't. They wanted a Jedi to be the prime clone.