main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Josh the Facts

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RolandofGilead, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    or you could say he meant those two duels. YvS and OvA

2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    "Is Obi-Wan going to be seen as powerful enough to last around 12 minutes against Anakin?"
    "Actually THE DUEL is a misleading term. Maybe it should be THE DUELS."

Obi/Vader will be going on for a while.

3. DarthWickett

DarthWickett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2004
    The Duel is the point of this whole thing, it's what we're waiting for, everything up to it is just that, all the things that have happened to lead Anakin to betray the Jedi and his master and fight "to the death" over these misguided beliefs. After the duel is the story of his redemption. All of this, as Lucas has said, is classic ancient storytelling, the hero of the Saga is Anakin, but he had to make a trip to Hell before he could know the power of light. Every archetypal hero has done such a thing, figurativly or physically, Anakin just happens to do both...why else would Mustafar resemble our stereo-types of Hell? So 12 minutes of straight duel wouldn't be out of Star Wars character, it would become the centerpiece, the only thing like it through the story, and as such, the most powerful thing about it.

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I'll add all those new updates as soon as I can (thanks Forever Jedi) but you've got to give me more time! ;)

5. Vrolokus

Vrolokus Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    If there is even a chance for a PG-13 ROTS, I hope they do it. There is no reason not to, really - LOTR proved it won't hurt the box office take, and it would get the hardcore element (like most of us) really energized.

Besides, this is a movie about evil, evil people winning. If there is only one PG-13 Star Wars movie, this would be the one.

6. Tattered

Tattered Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2004
    It will be interesting to see how much more money the PG-13 makes per theater than the PG. The industry will be watching intently if that happens.

7. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    So 12 minutes of straight duel wouldn't be out of Star Wars character, it would become the centerpiece, the only thing like it through the story, and as such, the most powerful thing about it.

Well, it has NEVER happened in 5 of 6 films. Possibly, this could be an exception. But 12 minutes with no interruptions of dueling will be tiring, IMO. A book might tell a story that way, but movies just don't work that way. An editor will have quite a difficult time keeping tempo up without some other scenes to break away to. Duels have been, and I predict will be, intercut with other action sequences or other events such as Padme suffering, Bail escaping and Yoda and Sidious going toe-to-toe.

8. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    "Maybe it should be THE DUELS."

what does that mean? :confused:

9. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    it means that he thinks that Yoda vs. Sidious is also worthy of being called THE DUEL

10. TheHighEmperor

TheHighEmperor Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    What was the Obi-Wan quote in ANH?

Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi?

Maybe Sidious takes out the younglings, and not Anakin???

What specific elements might make this PG-13? Anakin's body? The "scare" factor if it's more intense? Name some broad-but-specific reasons....
    "EVERYTHING. Especially Sidious"

THE.

11. lysis

lysis Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Actually, the rating standards are so crazy anyway. I was supprised episode II got a PG rating. It is interesting how we can have a movie like the 1959 version of Ben Hur, laden with considerable violence and at least one bloody scene, recieve a G rating. Simularly we have Jaws, which recieved a PG rating when it was first released.
    On the other end of the spectrum is Titanic, which I think was only rated pg-13.
    Our society seems to deem violence most inappropriat. 20 years ago, Lucas could have released episode III as PG. I dont think people should really dwell on this. It isnt so much that the content is more harsh, but meerly the standards used to rate it.

12. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    Actually the Ratings system is all garbage anyway. It is completely arbitrary. When they made South Park the Movie the first rating they got was NC-17. They said to prove a point, they sent it back with worse scenes in it and got an R rating. It goes to show you that Lucas could get a PG or PG-13 depending on who rates it, or how they even feel that day.

13. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Actually, the rating standards are so crazy anyway. I was supprised episode II got a PG rating. It is interesting how we can have a movie like the 1959 version of Ben Hur, laden with considerable violence and at least one bloody scene, recieve a G rating. Simularly we have Jaws, which recieved a PG rating when it was first released.
    On the other end of the spectrum is Titanic, which I think was only rated pg-13.
    Our society seems to deem violence most inappropriat. 20 years ago, Lucas could have released episode III as PG. I dont think people should really dwell on this. It isnt so much that the content is more harsh, but meerly the standards used to rate it.

Yes, they are crazy. I saw THE GRUDGE last Friday and it was only PG-13, but yet I felt, along with many others, it should've been R. It was very scary, IMO.

14. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Yeah because PG-13 is REALLY hardcore anyway huh?

He should release it PG-13 for the plain fact that it'd be

ROTS
    Fanboys 1
    Eight Year Olds 0

15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes, they are crazy. I saw THE GRUDGE last Friday and it was only PG-13, but yet I felt, along with many others, it should've been R. It was very scary, IMO.

Nah, that movie deserved PG-13. It was the funniest movie I've seen in months. :D

16. lysis

lysis Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    "Actually the Ratings system is all garbage anyway. It is completely arbitrary"

HA! Yes, exactly my point!

17. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    "it means that he thinks that Yoda vs. Sidious is also worthy of being called THE DUEL"

i always said that the yoda-sidious duel should be called "the duel" and not the obi 1-anakin duel... :)

i think it would be cool if the two greatest battles(obvioulsy the yoda-sidious one tops the obi 1-anakin duel) will cut each other... =P~

18. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Nah, that movie deserved PG-13. It was the funniest movie I've seen in months.

No, 13 year-olds shouldn't have seen it. I'm 16 and I shouldn't have seen it. lol...darkness is a scary thing. No longer do I think little Chinese boys are cute. Look what he did. "MEEEEOOOOOW!" [face_worried]

19. darthsmozers

darthsmozers Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    But are they running two cuts at once? or is it one cut with certain 'pg 13' scenes? i just dont get that comment Josh made.

20. Soap

Soap Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    "stay on target"

I think the 'duels' means that it wont be constant fighting, think the ESB and ROTJ duels. We need a bit of breathing space so Anakin and Obi-Wan can trade insults plus all that industrial equipment on Mustafar is bound to get in the way.

Im almost as excited by the dialogue that will be exchanged as I am about the hardcore sabre action we will see.

21. jedi-killah

jedi-killah Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Okay, heads up guys! Just recieved another PM from Josh and that will be the last from me. The PM regards Sidious without his hood. Here's the actual PM and JG's response.

I'm sorry dude, I don't wanna misuse your kindness or anything, but there's one more question I would like a hint upon. What exactly is Sidious hiding under that hood? Is it something out of the ordinary or just a bald Palpatine? Also, any more hints on the Nos monster, appearance?

JG's response:

Palpatine is shockingly evil looking. We've seen him old and evil, but never this way.

JG

Although, this is really nothing new, but Palpatine is gonna be shockingly evil. Uh-oh, I wouldn't want to be a Jedi in RotS.

22. Tattered

Tattered Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2004
    Argh, great stuff, but I don't like to see PMs outed!
    :(

23. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I thought Josh had put the kibosh on doling out spoilers via PM. Or was that just to throw off the Wacky-Theory crowd?

24. Walkersky

Walkersky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "Maybe it should be THE DUELS."

I read that as meaning THE DUEL would be broken up, with dialogue/chase sequences, movements from location to locaiton, etc - lots of little duels, not one continuous duel.

25. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    As far as I gathered, he is allowing them, but the other Mods have been checking the PM's to make sure they are legit. At least that is what I saw in another thread. Am I right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.